Kilby Cargo Panels - 4 Door - Install

TJ Willy

Adventurer
This afternoon I decided to install my cargo panels. This is actually a very simple procedure but I took the time to add some goodies utilizing the space a little more effectively. I picked up the hard top bolt kit to replace the rear 6 torx screws.

Kilby's Panels

The inverter is a Monster Power MCPI 150 I have had for several years.

41WRVZE52HL._SS500_.jpg

The panels are designed to fit the contours along the inside of the Jeep rear cargo area and roll bars. They are precision cut and powder coated.

I installed two rear 12 volt plugs (one is behind the panel used for the invertor), a switch to power on LED strips, and mounted an inverter to the outside. I used a 6 circuit fuse bus to manage the power delivered to the accessories. Purchased at Academy Sporting Goods in the marine section. $25.00

ATC-bep.jpg

Also used: several feet of 16 (internals), 14 (ground), and 12 (power) gauge wire. Automotive "Flex Pipe" wiring insulator, typical connectors, solder, shrink wrap tubing, etc...

Spade connectors were used on key wires to make removing the panel a breeze for maintenance or future install of more goodies.

I was going to disassemble the inverter and mount the AC plug and power switch in the panel, but decided against it in case I decide to use a different inverter later.

I routed the driver's side LED wiring through flex pipe under the carpet, around the rear cubby, behind the subwoofer up to the passenger side panel. The LED strips are currently zip tied to the roll bars (side) as the included 3M tape would not adhere to the padding. (suggestions for mounting welcomed).

Here are a few pics of the install. More HERE.

picture.php

The internal 12volt socket is held in place with 3M double sided molding tape and electrical tape. Best I could come up with that left it temporary. I'll use some silicon on it when I can pick some more up. I am also on the hunt for some of those self adhesive wire keepers. The little wiring block on the left is a common ground I made from scraps.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Ground is to the rear seat bolt/bracket.

I still have to get power permanently routed. Undecided if I will go to the battery or find a constant hot source. I may put a switch on the power to the fuse block since the inverter has a status light that stays lit when 12v power is delivered to the unit.

Do you guys think a relay is in order on the power wire to the block? I was thinking not since fuses separate the power to the low draw accessories. The inverter is behind two fuses... the block and the built in fuse. Perhaps an inline fuse in case a power spike heads back the fuse bus? This might keep all the fuses from blowing at once there?

Thanks for checking out my first "real" contribution here.

Finally, a shameless Jeep shot.
picture.php
:wavey:

Last edited:

keithro

Adventurer
Nice Work, doesn't look like you take it off, but you will have to undo the bolts and lift it slightly to get the panel in there.

TJ Willy

Adventurer
did you have to take the hardtop of to install

Nope. I removed the bolts then stood in the back of my Jeep, lifted the top with back and slide the guards in place. Two sets of hands would have been easier, but I am a one man show most of the time.

Dank0814

Very nice install. I'm looking at getting those panels as well, any chance you can post some more pics of them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman