Kitchen Kit/Chuck Box

verdesardog

Explorer
I built this for myself and am about to put in an order if anyone else wants one :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h-AW0p2Yz8

Price per unit:

- Coated Steal: $1,425.00 (US) / $1,909 (Canadian) [plus shipping and taxes if they apply]
- Stainless: $1,695.00 (US) / $2,272 (Canadian) [plus shipping and taxes if they apply]

Email me at al@alsmith.com if you want to get one built with me :)

I'm guessing for that price it includes all the accompanying stuff shown on your utube site?

Honu

lost on the mainland
I like that steel drawers :) so many wood ones or composite do not seem as space efficient
compared to what some companies charge for wood or composite based setups price is not totally insane but quite a good deal :)
I dont have a jeep :) a more generic shape rear might sell better ? no idea though :)

I got no dog in the hunt on this just realizing how expensive drawer units are this seems quite a good deal !!!!

tomd50002

Part one on our build

I've seen many different designs of the "Kitchen Chuck Box" and though it would be a good idea for us, As we will be setting up camp every few day. To make the process easier, Quicker and keep everything together, thought I would make one myself.

So where did the idea come from. On our previous camping trips one of my bug bears, Was that all our kitchen items were stored in 2 big Really Useful Boxes. This not much of a problem when putting all the equipment in a cupboard for storage. However when it comes to actually needing something, we ended up spending more time routing around for something, Than actually using it. So over the past few months I've been looking at different set-up of camping kitchens that people have, What they find works and does not work. With this information and the ideas I have in my head, What could potentially work for us. Over the past few months I've collected some 12mm Ply-board. put a few drawings together and started to build it with my time off work.

Ok so first one, Because I wanted to get the "kitchen chuck box" started. One of the main things that was stopping me was, "What to use a draws". Initially I wanted to use Really Useful Boxes, As they are strong robust and have lids on them to stop thinks jumping out on the move. Then there was the question of type of draw rails to use, and how I would attach them. Next was what are we going to put in these draws. Which then brought me back to what size Really Useful Box to use and it just kept doing round and round.

Sunday we took a trip to Ikea in Southampton for a wonder round, With a bit of intention of potentally buying some Really Useful Boxes, But to look at what storage solutions they have and any different draw solutions they might have.

There was one idea that I had though about but really given it the time was actually the solution that I went for in the end.

This is what we chose, They are called Trofast Storage Boxes they come in 3 different sizes, Ironically Small, Medium and Large. They even do half depth boxes as well.

This is how Ikea describe them:

TROFAST TOY STORAGE SERIES

Flexible storage for all their toys
The TROFAST storage series makes it easy to find a spot for even the biggest toy collections. By combining the sturdy frames and removable boxes, you can make your own storage solution. And with different options for colour and size, it’s sure to fit right in, too.

What we went for after a bit of a play around with different ideas in the store and different configurations. There is many different colour to choose from but as you can see we just went for black and white.

15020007-300x225.jpg
15030009-300x225.jpg

Now that I had the draws I could start putting things together. Due to the weather been horrible, I thought the best place to start would be to mark out where the draws were going to fit. What I planned to do was to route out a recess for the draws to slide along. Im one for if there is a way of doing something and I need to buy some sort of tool or new gadget then thats the way im doing it.

So starting with the top draw I marked out where it would line up.

10180006-300x225.jpg

Next after a bit of messing about and lining up the other draws I had them all marked out as to where I would cut the recess out with the router that I was going to go and buy.

Once I was happy with the markings out, I measured the length of the draws and with a few centimetre added on to play with. I drew the cut lines which would be for the size and dimensions of the draw unit side. Then cut round it and was left with the side panel

11270007-300x225.jpg
11410009-300x225.jpg

After I had one cut out I brought in the off cut piece of ply and marked round it to replicate what I had just cut out. Once it was cut out I transferred the cut lines that would be for where Id route out for the draw slides.

11450010-300x225.jpg
11510011-300x225.jpg

Just to make sure all the line matched up I had a test fit laying the draws out on the to the now side panels.

12010013-300x225.jpg

Now that I had the sides of the draws sorted. It was just a case of bringing in another piece of ply, Mark round the draw sides, Then I will cut round it and it will make the end panels of the unit

14450014-300x225.jpg

After I had the 2 end panels cut I came to a bit of a halt dew to the fact I did not have the car. I wanted to measure the width of it just to double check before I started cutting the base.

Once Amanda came home we discussed the plan I had of routing out the sliders for the draws, However as we were in mid conversation, The penny dropped and had a light bulb moment and thought. Why dont I just cut some slats for the draws to rest on. Simple enough to do and would save me around £50 that I would have to spend on tools and router bits. So win win.

After checking the width of the boot of the car. I then measured up another piece of ply and cut it out. This would become the base of the unit.

16210018-300x225.jpg
http://aroundtheworldwithwifeandkids.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/16210019-300x225.jpg

So that the base done, Just need to cut the back. Due to my pieces of ply not covering the whole area I would have to do it in two pieces. For ease I just again marked round the base piece and cut another. After that I measured the remaining area that needs to be covered and with another bit of ply I marked it out and cut round it.

19150020-300x225.jpg
http://aroundtheworldwithwifeandkids.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/19160021-300x225.jpg

Now that I had all the sides cut out it would be just a case of joining them all together. Initially I wanted to use pocket holes and join the bits of ply that way. I did think about running a slat down every join and screw into that. However that would be a bit bulky. After a look around at different corner joiners at B and Q, Screwfix and ToolStation.

What I found was that ToolStation had Modesty blocks and sold a packet of 10 for 52p each. Bargin. So went down got 3 packets some wood glue which turns out to be interior not exterior, That it showed in the picture in the catalogue. Also got a box of 25mm screws. all in all cost me around £10. Remarkably cheaper that it would of been for a router and bits and a pocket hole jig that I was going to buy. The only doubt I had was how much strength are the modesty block going to give me.

19170023-300x225.jpg

The first thing that I had on my mind was how well are the modesty blocks going to hold out and how strong would they be. So some may say a bit of a over kill when I put the side onto the base however it gave me a bit or reassurance. I doubled up on the outside blocks to give me the security. As I started to put more panels together, my confidence grew and I started using less blocks per panel. Also with every panel I added a bit of wood glue for extra strength.

19210025-300x225.jpg
19260027-300x225.jpg
19260026-300x225.jpg
19290028-300x225.jpg
19290029-300x225.jpg
19290030-300x225.jpg

Once I had one site on was just a case of repeating it for the other side.

After the sides were on I just connected the back pieces to the blocks that I had put on the sides

19480034-300x225.jpg

So thats the back nice and secure. Next was the second half of the back to finish it off. However due to me using a jig saw to cut the ply board they are not the straightest of cuts but gives it a bit of character.

20090036-300x225.jpg
20090035-300x225.jpg

So thats the back complete all that was left to do was to measure the size of the cook which will be placed on the right hand side. Once id marked the length I attached one of the sides of the draw unit. After that was just a case of measuring the width of the draws and screwing in the other side.

20170038-300x225.jpg
20170039-300x225.jpg
20280042-300x225.jpg
20280044-300x225.jpg

After everything was in place and I thought it was time to put the tools down as the drill had gone flat I was pretty happy with what I had constructed, Apart from having to use 2 pieces on the back but thats just a minor thing. If it starts to bug me that much ill just go bet a piece of ply big enough but seen as they were free ply boards cant really complain.

Next step would be to put the rails in for the draws and the shelf in for the cooker to sit on.

crossed-up

Observer
Interesting build Tom, and nice to hear the thought process behind it. I'm looking forward to how it progresses. I went through a similar process in deciding what setup to go with in my Jeep - draws, plastic tubs, chuck/kitchen box etc. It's not always clear whether you will end up solving a storage problem or creating another by removing some flexibility. Sometimes you just have to get stuck in and adapt and develop the idea as you go. In the end I decided with a single draw arrangement, which is still evolving. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/152652-WH-(WK)-Preparation-for-the-Pyrenees

Arctic_Farmer

Wow, I just read 75 pages of forum comments. Many fantastic ideas and beautiful chuck boxes shown so I had to join the forum and ask the experts.

I seem to have a unique need that I haven't seen addressed: I fly to a lot of my destinations and my chuck box has to meet the airline's checked baggage requirements. Alaska Air lets us check 2 bags free for in-state travel. Baggage handling in the remote airports usually consists of a forklift and a couple of strong guys so the chuck box needs to be able to protect the cooking gear from rough handling. Many residents of Rural Alaska use Rubbermaid Totes when they ship their stuff so I was thinking that the chuck box should fit inside a Rubbermaid tote. The tote would protect the chuck box in transit and could serve as a stand once set up onsite.

If you know of an off-the-shelf product that would meet my needs I'd love to hear of it. If you have ideas for custom built chuck boxes I'm also open to them.

Jeff in Alaska

Last edited:

Lucky j

Explorer
You might be a situation where you need to built your own.

Come here and we will follow your project.

thethePete

Explorer
^ Agreed. I use rubbermaid totes, which work alright, but I don't fly with my gear. I think a stoutly constructed Baltic Birch box would be much stronger, look nicer, and could be made to your exact, maximum dimensions. Keep us posted! You could make appropriate compartments for everything to be well protected when stored. Get a Partner Steel Stove the right size for the top, and you're rocking.

Honu

lost on the mainland
if I was flying I would do a pelican case mod so easy to travel and pull through airport and for sure tough enough to handle anything coming at it

thethePete

Explorer
Fair, but you could build 3-4 Baltic Birch ones that will last arguably as long in real world service, for the cost of that Pelican case. $1000-1500 or more seems a little rich for a box to keep your stove and plates in....

Honu

lost on the mainland
you can pick up a used pelican cases for like $100 ?
new they are about $250 maybe ? for kitchen box size

Fair, but you could build 3-4 Baltic Birch ones that will last arguably as long in real world service, for the cost of that Pelican case. $1000-1500 or more seems a little rich for a box to keep your stove and plates in....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman