Kitchen Kit/Chuck Box

JackW

Explorer
Very nice - like the whole idea. If you have access to a biscuit joiner you might want to look at using those to join the pieces together - the make for a very strong joint that is virtually indestructible and quick to make.

Sawyer

Adventurer
Thought I share my version. After reading this entire thread and watching it for a really long time, I spent some time designing some very nice units. However, after pricing out everything, I found my price coming in very close to the Kanz system. So, I went with the next route I had always liked. I got a hold of an old Swedish Military field desk that had spent it's previous life like this:
1feoae.jpg

A couple of quick modifications got me to this:
9h1f6u.jpg

I used it for the first time over the weekend and everything worked perfectly!

wesel123

Explorer
Love it. I'm no the only one to use the office box. These boxes are very well built.

our set up in the old trailer
IMG_1201.jpg

our set up with no trailer
IMG_1140-1.jpg

squinko

Observer
A bunch of stuff has cropped up the last couple weeks so the finishing of this project is going slow.

I'm still looking into the finish. No food will be stored in this but, still, I'd like something that won't be problematic. In the mean time . . .

I got the utensil drawer and another drawer built. As well as fitted the shelves for the "standard" spice-bottle sized items in one of the doors. Latches have been fitted. Some slim profile handles have been fabbed up and fitted to make it easier to lift the chuck box out of the base. And some wooden "guide ramps" have been glued to the inside corners of the base. These help guide the chuck box as it is lowered back into the base for storage so that the hinges don't catch on the base leg panels. It's a small thing, not a big deal . . . but it'll make it just that much easier to pack away. And for the cost of nothing but time (made out of ripped scrap wood) I figured why not.

cbdrawer1.jpg

The utensil drawer (left) and a general use drawer (right). The
notches in the utensil drawer are to allow clearance of the left
door when closed (door fits between utensil drawer and top of
chuck box). And the general use drawer is sized so it fits between
the adjustable shelves when they are two spaces apart.
(spacing is modular)

And the drawer to chuck box tolerances are about 1/16" so that
there is minimal deflection when pulled out for access. No drawer
guides are needed.

cbdrawer2.jpg

Test fitting the drawer into the chuck box. It can be pulled about 3/4 of
the way out and be self-supporting, making accessing contents easy.

cbdrawer3.jpg

The drawers as slid into place in the chuck box.​

Oh, and I've started developing a plan set for the project for those interested. It's going to be a little ambitious and hopefully thorough and easy to build for good appearance. I'm trying to arrange the panel cut layout so that the visible pieces are all grain-matched on the exterior surfaces of the chuck box. I'm also trying to sequence and arrange the cut layout for maximum accuracy. The plan set is designed to print on 8 1/2" x 11" paper. And the chuck box should be buildable with some reasonably basic power tools: skill saw, straight edge, router, drill, hammer

Here is a sample of one of the pages.

cbinstructionspg8.jpg

Right now everything is real rough. I'm just trying to get all the drawings done, later I'll fine tune the text and layout.

Awesome work!! I would love to purchase a set of your plans.

Sawyer

Adventurer
These boxes are very well built.

That is an understatement! I was down in Baja this past weekend and had the wind blow mine fully loaded off a table. It fell to the ground landing on the top or a corner and rolled.... It might be missing some paint some place now... but I cant find it!

lupinsea

Observer
Hi Benny, squinko..... and of course the others here interested.

Sorry, I have gotten distracted and am still working on the plans. It is definitely something that I will be producing.

aggienlp

Badger Box Now Available

Hi all

I just ran across this post while googling chuck boxes and wanted to make you all aware of a brand new product that is available for purchase that might be something you are interested in.

My father, who lives in Leakey, TX is an avid hunter and designed and patented the Badger Box for this purpose. :)

We'd love to have you visit the website, check out the photos and provide some feedback.

Have a great day!
Nicole

www.badgerboxllc.com

6x6pinz

Adventurer
I don't think I can tell how many field kitchens I have. A bunch of ex-mil kitchens from all around the world and a few home built units. I usually take which ever one fits the size of the group I will be working with. The boy scout chuck box style is the largest unit I have and will accommodate around 20 people. The Italian field kitchen http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/10737072_original-italian-wwii-military-field-kitchen is by far one of my more popular ones for smaller groups (7-10). The Danish ones revolve around stews and such so they are more of a specialty kitchen. I have built a couple sets of the Blue Sky Kitchen boxes and love them for their convertibility. The kitchen I built into my truck is a combination of ideas from all the kitchens I have played with. The top door comes down and is the right size to make a table when sitting on the seat opposite the kitchen. I had to make it so that it would hold up to my offroading exploits and multi day camping trips. This kitchen is set up to feed up to 4 people, usually just me and my wife though.

Attachments

• 100_3343 (Small).JPG
    100_3343 (Small).JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 145
  • 100_3344 (Small).JPG
    100_3344 (Small).JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 3,438

Uncle Roger

Observer
My father, who lives in Leakey, TX is an avid hunter and designed and patented the Badger Box for this purpose. :)

We'd love to have you visit the website, check out the photos and provide some feedback.
I took a quick look... My first question is is it really 48lbs for just the box? Or is that loaded? And if it's loaded, what comes with it? I really like the metal design, but I would expect it to be a lot lighter for it. Is is made from steel or aluminum or...? I definitely like the aesthetics of the sloped front and all. For the bottom-most part, however, how does one get stuff in there? From the pics, it looks like it would be really awkward. Lastly, and perhaps this is just me being cheap, but almost $400 seems a tad high.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78