Kitchen Kit/Chuck Box

Denise Noble

Just To Let Everyone Know

I just wanted to update everyone on the camping kitchen. I have several people who have PM'd me about this. The only way to make this fair is to say that the first one to give me a definate yes and pay the $70 plus shipping into my paypal account will be the proud new owner of the Campmate. Sorry to see it go but my hubby and I can no longer do the camping thing due to a back injury. Going for the softer option of a 5th wheel.

Thanks for all your interest.

lupinsea

Observer
Jimchan66: On the floor at my feet is a big giant ball that I have dropped and it has "chuckbox plans" written all over it.

I do still intend to get the plans developed but, man, I'm really sorry to all interested.

That said, the chuckbox has been "field tested" on a recent camping trip. It's survived being ratchet strapped down to the cargo deck in the back of my Jeep and then bounced all over the place on a wheel'n / camping trip this summer. It set up as easily as was shown in the video and proved to be a stable platform. And it did a decent job of keeping the dust out.

It worked best as an auxiliary work surface (as intended) to set things on rather than the primary table / work surface. The flip out top works great but it's still a modest size. Having the kitchen gear organized was a big plus as I'm sure anyone with a chuck box would attest. I still brought along a tote bin where we kept the actual non-refrigerated food and some other items but the chuck box itself worked out very well.

fasteddy47

Adventurer
Here's a few of mine, I started a link in the domestic and full size.
So a few more hours on the Kamp Kitchen.... it's almost complete I am going to wrap it in
textured aluminum on the outside and oil the inside with Danish light oil.
It's actually fairly light even with everything in it. It weighs in at 47lbs loaded.

aa-0001.jpg

aa-0002.jpg

aa-0003.jpg

The Plastic jugs are for coffee, cereal. sugar, pasta, rice etc.
aa-0007.jpg

aa-0004.jpg

I like my coffee in a ceramic mug.... So I spent sometime making sure my favorite
coffee mugs don't get broken
aa-0005.jpg

With the cutting board and extension open it gives me almost 5' 6" of counter space.
aa-0010.jpg

aa-0009.jpg

Cutting board slide detail.
aa-0014.jpg

Closed up..

aa-0012.jpg

Now a whole bunch of finishing sanding and to skin it in aluminum.... :elkgrin:
Cheers...
Eddy

fasteddy47

Adventurer
That's Slick! It'll look beyond cool when it's all wrapped in Aluminum. Great job

Hey Pat, thanks for the Kudo's....I have ordered the textured aluminum, it is very similiar to the old
fashioned coolers 1960's era...or the National Luna fridge style Aluminum. Baltic Birch is so soft so I want to
protect it as much as possible without adding too much weight.
Cheers
Eddy

Calilove1

Jeep & Camping Enthusiast
What an awesome thread... I used to do quite a bit of woodworking but with some of the kits out there for a chuck box I certainly don't see myself breaking out the old tool sets or picking up the tools that have been long gone from the collection just to do it. I'm waiting on my trailer to get completed (it's way over due) and once it comes and I can figure out how much space I have I'll have to weigh my options you all have presented here. Thank you Ladies and Gentleman for all your great custome built ideas and sharing of links for the easy way out too. :)

Ramjet

Explorer
I just spent the last hour or so reading this entire thread. Very cool stuff. I love the multiple interpretations for the same task.
Towards the last third the thread gets a little...uh, muddy? And I wanted to offer a little thought.
I have always been a DIY guy. I have normally found that my time/effort was easier to come by than money to buy premade stuff. At least big, new stuff. So I adopted a make do or make it myself kind of attitude. Which is fine.
But somewhere along the line I develloped a charecter flaw. From the darker regions of my noggin' I started to believe that there was something "wrong" with people that simply bought their stuff. Its an unfair bias that has been hard for me to shake. Not that I have insane talents or great skills...I just have a knack to visualize what I am after and have gathered enough tools over the years to make it easier. So I often find myself stepping back and trying to reprimand myself for being judgmental. Some folks have never learned to do what I can. Some folks have more disposable funds than I ever will. Or their time is far more important to them then that which building it themselves would require. I am slowly learning this and trying to accept it.
I think it was the reference to the XJ/junkyard scrounging thing that made me want to write this. For some if us...junkyards are a haven of discarded and unrealized bounty. For most it is a waypoint of disposable and forgettable items. I enjoy finding odd and unusual ways to accomplish something...especially if I can wander the yards and get it cheaper. Taking something that was destined for distruction and giving it a new lease (or leash?) on life makes me happy. But, that is not for everyone. To suggest that one MUST do it, or is a bad person for not doing it...well, that is as wrong as my own issue.
The other, and perhaps more relevant to this thread thought I had is something that is over looked a little. It does find some mention here and there but not much spotlight is thrown at it.
Buying used.
This comes a close second to doing it myself. To find someone that has upgraded or outgrown or has no more use for some item is a great way to acquire stuff. And often times these things are free...or dang cheap! But the best of these are the old items. At least to me. The steel Coleman cooler in the back of the flea market, built like a tank and works just fine. Someting that has already withstood the test of time and survives victoriously to camp again. Now while some aspects of camping see great improvment to weight, design, size, etc...some things are just shiney replacements for what has been around for a long time. We have just talked ouselves into the "need" to have it. I do it...sometimes. A fridge freezer. Handy. Heck, I just bought one. But that good old tank cooler with some dry ice would have done fine too. for less and for maybe longer.?. Who knows.
Ok...so I have bored many....sorry...
Tangent and rant complete. :elkgrin:

Wow. I thought I was the only onenthatbfelt this way. I myself sometimes feel that spending a little more in materials and making it myself is more worth while than buying it new. But to each his own. I do disagree on the fridge. Toss the Coleman, the fridge is a diamond in the rough. I never thought in a million years I would love it that much. But I do.

Cheers, Jason

6x6pinz

Adventurer
jeepdreamer, I know what you mean. When I go out and buy something that I have the talent and equipment to build I don't "feel" as connected to it. In my case there is not much I can go to the store and pick up for my rig so I end up making most of it myself. I also like that when I am out in remote areas I know how something is put together if/when something goes wrong and have the ability to fix it.
I used to feel the ice chest was the best route until I came to realize how to use my fridge/freezer. With the amount of time I spend away from civilization the fridge/freezer has saved me a ton of cash. Even my extreme coolers with dry ice won't last a month without replenishing them. In the case of ice there is no mess to deal with inside the truck or dealing with wasted food products. I have also become used to the idea that I can go grocery shopping several days ahead of a trip and simply put the items in the truck at that time, no need to take up space in the home appliances. On one occasion when traveling with a larger group we filled my freezer full of water bottles and froze them. I replenished my ice chest with the frozen bottles along with a few of the others who were still running ice chest. Not sure how we would have been able to get them through the trip without some sort of ice source.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger