Kitting a Freelander

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
A coworker has asked me for help in finding accessories for his Freelander so that he can do some mild expeditionary travel.

He is primarily looking for suspension lifts and roof racks. Do you guys know of any places he should start looking?

It seems there aren't too many places that have Freelander stuff.

Dap-inc and Toddco have some spacer lifts, but this is about all he has found so far.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
I can't comment on reliability, but I have been pretty impressed with them off road.

2947146599_b96513849c_o.jpg

2947140937_3e5bf5a56a_o.jpg

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
So far he has had zero mechanical issues. It is paid off and just wants to tweak it a little bit. He is just getting started so trying to talk him into ditching his current vehicle for something more worthy would scare him off of doing anything.

I totally agree that something more substantial would be nice, but I think this could be a fun little project for him. Plus it is better to make mistakes with this vehicle than a super clean Diesel 110.

Hey there are people that kit out Volvo V70's so a Freelander should be no big deal. :)

Come on guys this will be fun. I will make him post up pics and everything so we can share in helping him create something unique.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
He appreciates all the suggestions, thank you.

It comes down to the fact that this is what he has and this is what he is going to work on.

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
Always surprises me when folk go on about stuff they no so little about!

Frrebie is good for overland travel (proper overland travel not your back yard camping/big tyres/look at me cr*p). Like any vehicle it has limitations but once you know them you can compensate.

You need to beef up the sump guard - try Mantec as they made the Camel spec guard

Safety Devices made a few bits and bobs as well

Safari Guard make a good snorkel

TJM do springs/struts

SuperPro do a cracking bush kit for the cr*ppy rear diff mounting

The V6 has isues with cooling so an Alisport Rad is a worthwhile addition

Cargo space is limited but adding a dog guard allows you to stack

Just remember the IRD and the Viscous coupling are always going to be week points...

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
Something that is noticeable abnout this forum and it's 'parent' magazine that it has a tendancy to forget that real world overlanding is not about just how much money you can spend, it's how far you can get on a tight budget whilst collecting memories that will be there for the rest of your life.

Well said.

emmodg

Adventurer
I hear ya'!

I'm going to start marketing my own special blend of "Expedition Tire Air"! When regular air isn't enough!

Rev

Adventurer
Maybe doing a little bit to his Freelander will give him some experience and let him know if this is his thing. Then he can look around and see if he wants a more capeable rig, and what kind, as there are lots from which to choose. Or maybe he loves his Freelander so much he will just try to make it the best darn freelander it can be!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior