Kitting a Freelander

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Pretty accurate statement there. But it's just not here, you find it in a lot of places these days, people feeling they need the "best of the best of the best" and those who don't, being mocked. I'm sure many would laugh at my $25 tractor floods for off-roading, but my feeling is that when off-road I'm generally traveling at tractor speeds plus things tend to get broken, and I'd rather replace a $25 light than a $200 light. I don't ever expect to see them in an "Off-road Lighting Shootout" article.

Yes, it happens more than just here. Such as certain websites where if it's not a 3-4" lift, or a bumper that can snap a medium sized oak tree, it's crap. ;) But, it's funny you should mention the tractor light thing, since I had the EXACT same thought. I almost put a set of Hella AF 115 FF flood lights on the roof because it does seem to make more sense for the MAJORITY of people here are using the trucks for. But no, for some reason people want a bazillion candlepower so they can see terrain they won't reach for another 30 minutes.

viatierra

Explorer
Four pages of posts... and only a couple of them actually respond to the original post! It seems to me that long winded answers to questions that were never asked are strange.

Resources are valuable and make this forum what it truly was created for. If you and your coworker find more sources... Post 'em up!

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Four pages of posts... and only a couple of them actually respond to the original post! It seems to me that long winded answers to questions that were never asked are strange.
They can be, on the other hand, he took some of the unasked for advice. You just never know. ;)

H

Hank

Resources are valuable and make this forum what it truly was created for. If you and your coworker find more sources... Post 'em up!

Well, if someone came here looking for an opinion on the Slap-Chop, you'd probably get the same type of response.

Some things are just better off left alone. Like the Freelander, the Slap-Chop could probably stand to have a few mods done to it. But in the end, you're still left with a POS.

H

Hank

"Brand Bashing"? Haha. "Model Bashing", maybe.

The Freebie is what it is.

Mudpro

Having owned and driven a N/A Freelander for about five years, i thought i might offer my opinion on the vehicle and what I know of accessories available for it.

Capability Off-road:

The Freelander is amazingly nimble for a vehicle of its design, meaning one without any serious ground clearance or a low range transfercase. It is assisted by a traction control system and an amazingly stiff frame that keeps things from tweaking when stressed in cross up situations. Its great in the light snow, icy conditions, or on a fire road type trail where you may encounter some slick mud, loose leaves, or other loose footing.

It is incapable of handling anything strenuous without attacking an obstacle at relatively high speed to keep its momentium going, it lacks torque. its lack of ground clearance makes it incapable of overcoming any obstacle bigger than about 8" w/o stacking rocks and/or risking expesnive damage.

Reliability:

N/A Freelanders with the gasoline V6 engine are plagued by transmission failures, tramatic coolant loss resulting in engine failures, and/or heater-core failures. They are also prone to a variety of lesser issues like window mechanism failure and like most LRs, some quirky electrical issues.

Expedition Accessories:

A company in Vermont called DAP makes a nice pair of rock sliders for the thing. I found these to be the best money I spent on the rig.

DAP also imports a small lift kit from Bearmark for these.

93893308_kQkDj-M.jpg

Safety Device did make a nice roof rack for them, I don't think its sold new in NA any more, but you might find a used one as folks are dropping these things like hot potatos as soon as they drop out of factory warranty.

95392542_ZbKu8-M.jpg

89716802_s5sui-M.jpg

There is a engine sump skid made by Mantec, I bought mine form another owner and I don't know where you might find oen now. It's pretty beefy and replaces the plastic one that came from the factory.

Tome it was a very comfortable car to drive vs a Disco, but with all its mechanical problems and off-road shortcomings, I too would suggest looking at something else.

M

MuddyOval

I know John would be horrified if his work was mistaken for British. :Wow1:

PTSchram

I hope nobody gets angry at me for my opinion, I'm not trying to offend anyone who may own/owned a freelander. Anger seems to be fueling this topic so lets all try to piss out the fire eh.

They are without doubt one of the cutest Land Rovers ever. I put many miles on a diesel model in '03 and loved every minute of it. 30 MPG and 100 MPH on the highways. It even had remote locking, what a concept (let's just say that having such things in my personal Land Rovers is a luxury I can't afford).

I think you may have misinterpreted some of the others as angry when it is much different than that.

If I couldn't work on my trucks myself, I couldn't afford a Land Rover.

PT

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan