KLR on a Hitch carrier

eodmark

I just got a brand new 2011 KLR 650 and was had a question about transporting it. Has any one ever put one on a hitch mounted motorcycle carrier before. I know the KLR is a bit on the heavy side for this but I am planning a cross country trip and i want to take it along as a kind of escape pod on the back of my E-350. Thanks

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
There's a bit of information at this recent thread:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/71518.

My personal experience with a Joe Hauler carrier and my XR600R is that it works well in "non-bouncy" conditions, but I don't risk trying it in conditions where the up-and-down movement would put significant repetitive stress on the carrier/hitch interface.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
I've seen some beefy hitch haulers out there that might work well with your big truck.

I've also seen lots of pics on the KLR forums showing people doing it.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
It all depends on the details of the whole package (truck, hitch, rack, & load).

I used to haul two bikes (Husaberg & DR200) on a hitch carrier. 500# of bike with a load center that is quite a bit farther out than you would see with a single bike - so it can be done.

The biggest problem I've had with big bikes on single bike carriers is actually getting the bike onto/off of the carrier. It's a lot of weight to manage with one person. Getting it up there isn't so bad (I usually pull up to a side hill or ledge to reduce the angle of the ramp), it's balancing it there to tie it off that becomes problematic. Small bikes aren't bad since you can lean them against the back of the truck - but the big bikes are harder to man-handle when you're solo.

4wheeldrivevan

Observer
I dragged my KLR 650 on the back of my E250 van for over 5000 miles and every single minute thought the hitch hauler was going to snap in half.

KLR650-motorcycle-hitch-carrier.jpg

I also strapped the hell out of it to keep it from moving around.

poorly-designed-hitch-rack.jpg

I would not recommend using this hitch with a heavy bike, on my next trip I'm going to weld up a custom hitch with more than one attachment point to the frame of the van.

FAW3

Adventurer
I have a KLR (and some lighter bikes) that I carry on the rear of my '95 Chev Silverado frequently. You need the proper platform for the rack...and I'm thinking you got that with the F-350 with a good hitch and rear suspension rating.

Then you need a strong carrier. I scored mine used off Craigslist and it has worked very well: http://www.versahaul.com/

Nice feature is the "reciever tube" extends all the way...you can carry the bike and a small trailer too! I use it sometimes on my RV, towing the rack mounted MC and then a small boat...all the toys...all the time!

My truck does have a front hitch point...I have stopped using it for carrying the MC's...just too much crud/dust and rock chips. Does balance the load nicely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger