.kml > .gpx conversion issue

RSB

Adventurer
despite my efforts, I'm still struggling w/understanding how to solve this problem...

I have a .kml made by another author converted to .gpx no problem. But then I import the .gpx back into Google Earth so I can make a few of my own changes. Saved the file as a .kml and converted back to .gpx.

this is where I have my problem. Every program I tried does the same thing and it's consistent w/other .gpx's I tried handled the same way. It takes the route points and makes them waypoints! So, now I have a few thousand waypoints instead of around 20 or so. :rolleyes:

I thought about clicking the option in GPSBabel that forces everything to be track points, but then the waypoints that are supposed to be waypoints would be changed too.

here's the before and after, if anyone is interested in taking a look.

I appreciate any input. :)

nvprospector

Adventurer
For some reason when the original KMZ file was created, it took all the track points and separated them from the path. So when you look at the original file under the tracks you will have an extra drop down called points. It is almost like when the original file was created, it treated the path points as a polygon. So when you export it to a GPX file, the convertor treats these points as waypoints. If this happens again, all you need to do is under the track drop down is delete the points section.

With not knowing how the original file was created or imported into Google Earth it is really hard to figure out how this happened.

Tim

RSB

Adventurer
For some reason when the original KMZ file was created, it took all the track points and separated them from the path. So when you look at the original file under the tracks you will have an extra drop down called points. It is almost like when the original file was created, it treated the path points as a polygon. So when you export it to a GPX file, the convertor treats these points as waypoints. If this happens again, all you need to do is under the track drop down is delete the points section.

sorry for the late reply, had internet connection issues last night.

thank-you so much for your input! This is very helpful. So the problem is w/the original .kmz (step 3 in the below example, in bold). All I did was open a .gpx in Google Earth (File > Open), given to me by another user, so I could make some of my own changes to the waypoints. When I was done w/my changes, I could only save the file as a .kml, and therefore needed to convert it back to a .gpx so it could be read on my GPS.

With not knowing how the original file was created or imported into Google Earth it is really hard to figure out how this happened.

in Google Earth, I clicked File > Open. When the import dialog came up, I had three options I could check. Clamp to ground, create strings, and create tracks. Didn't matter what combination of options I chose, GE still took all the track points and separated them from the path.

here's another example w/the same problem, in order...

1-ExPo, Oct 2010.kml
2-ExPo, Oct 2010.gpx
3-ExPo, Oct 2010 (edited).kml
4-ExPo, Oct 2010 (edited).gpx

I appreciate your help w/this! at the very least, I can remove the points folder as you suggested. But it'd be nice to know why GE imported the file this way.

Ryan

Last edited:

nvprospector

Adventurer
I have tried the files in GE on a PC, MAC and BSD running VMS and I am unable to reproduce the issue you are having. I would try reinstalling GE and see if that will fix your issue. If this does not help I would then just use GPS Visualizer to do the convertions for now and send the error to Google and wait and see what they say.

Good Luck
Tim

RSB

Adventurer
really? that's perplexing to me. I'm working on this issue w/GPSBabel and GPSVisualizer and they're able to replicate it. I just opened-up each attachment and tried it again too. Everything looks fine until the 4th file is opened in GE. Several hundred waypoints appear on the screen. Is this what you weren't able to replicate?

here's what Adam from GPSVisualizer and I discussed in our last conversation, and where we left off...

ok, ultimately it looks like when the original .gpx was imported into GE, it took all the track points and separated them from the path. When the file was saved to a .kml and converted back to a .gpx, the points were treated as waypoints. realizing this, I can just delete the points sub-folder under the tracks folder after importing the .gpx in GE. Would be nice though to know why GE imported the file this way.

That's just how GE does it: every track is imported as both a "LineString" and a series of individual directional placemarks that you can click on to see more info about that trackpoint. But it's always easy enough to just go in and delete the "Points" folder within each track's folder, leaving only the lines.

GPS Visualizer has similar functionality ("Draw track as waypoints"), but it's more customizable and isn't enabled by default.

Adam

right, just still annoying to have to go in and expand each point folder (around 20) and delete each one! But it does work... ok, so we can confirm there's no way tell the converter to keep those points (GE named) as waypoints then?

nvprospector

Adventurer
really? that's perplexing to me. I'm working on this issue w/GPSBabel and GPSVisualizer and they're able to replicate it. I just opened-up each attachment and tried it again too. Everything looks fine until the 4th file is opened in GE. Several hundred waypoints appear on the screen. Is this what you weren't able to replicate?
That is strange, for the life of me I can't reproduce the issue. If I start with the first file in your list and do all the steps that you do, I am able to import and export without a hitch. It is starting to make me wonder if it is a version issue. I have not updated my GE in along time. The only time I seem to update the software is when I am forced to by Google. Let me install the latest version.

And yes, it is the issue you are talking about, opening up the 4th file is the issue I can't seem to reproduce. I even tried to open the same file multiple times and still did not reproduce the issue.

Tim

RSB

Adventurer
weird! I'm running v5.2.1.1588 on my Mac. Maybe this is only something that happens w/the newer version!

That is strange, for the life of me I can't reproduce the issue. If I start with the first file in your list and do all the steps that you do, I am able to import and export without a hitch. It is starting to make me wonder if it is a version issue. I have not updated my GE in along time. The only time I seem to update the software is when I am forced to by Google. Let me install the latest version.

And yes, it is the issue you are talking about, opening up the 4th file is the issue I can't seem to reproduce. I even tried to open the same file multiple times and still did not reproduce the issue.

Tim

nvprospector

Adventurer
don't know, I am only one version older than you. If Google releases another version that is when they will force me to upgrade.

RSB

Adventurer
roger that. Well, thanks to Adam from GPS Visualizer, I believe I found a better alternative to deleting each of the points sub-folder from the track folder in Google Earth...

What I don't understand is: if you don't like how Google Earth handles your GPX files, why are you using Google Earth to convert them in the first place?

duh!! :Wow1: guess I just needed someone to point-out the obvious! I opened #1 (the file I couldn't edit; created by a different author) and converted it to a .gpx (#2) so I could make some changes of my own. Then, instead of importing the .gpx into Google Earth, I converted the file back to a .KML (#3). I opened it in Google Earth, made my changes, saved the file (replaced), and converted it back to a .gpx (#4).

1-ExPo, Oct 2010.kml
2-ExPo, Oct 2010.gpx
3-ExPo, Oct 2010 (edited).kml
4-ExPo, Oct 2010 (edited).gpx

works flawlessly. :elkgrin:

thank-you for your help! problem solved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears