Knee replacement - it's about time...

FlyingWen

Explorer
I did my Physical Therapy internship working in the hospital with knee and hip replacements.
The day after surgery we were in the patients rooms getting them up to take a walk. Working the knee after surgery will be an important part!
Expect to be dragged for a walk when you think it will be too painful.
You gotta get moving.

Most of these people were surprised at how good it felt just 1 day after having them "installed". This is a mod that you will like!!!

Say by to pain and hello to hiking and walking and even getting out of a chair without pain.
Good Luck!

Rexsname

Explorer
My Dad (83)has had three knee replacements in the past few years. One of them went 'bad' because of an infection in the bone near the joint. His physical therapist had him on a knee machine that put it through the full range of motion for about 15 minutes at a time several times a day. Quite painful at first but he's up and walking on his own now.

His hip replacement went even better......walking without assistance in less than a week.

Let me know if you'd like to talk with him, either on the phone or in person.

REX

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Good on you Mark! We are all behind you 100% buddy and wishing you a speedy recovery. When are you going in?

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Mark, I had my left knee replaced a bit over a year ago at three years older than you are, the culmination of a lifetime dealing with a congenital problem. It took me probably five months to get to the point where I felt better than I had at the best times before the operation, but since then it's been all good.

I'm glad I had it done while I still have years of active life ahead of me, rather than limping along trying to make the troublesome original last. I'm now back to hiking and bicycling with no pain.

So my advice would be do it! Call me if you want to talk about anything.

Last edited:

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
Mark,

I second what Jonathan said (and I've been with him 24 years, through a lot of years of intense pain and progressive inability to do the active things he loves).

The doctor at first tried to talk him into waiting . . . til we realized the vast majority of the replacements he does is people far older than 53 or 54, and very, inactive.

We insisted on the replacement, knowing now is the time to do it - we could not fathom where Jonathan would have been in 2-3 years without the replacement . . . hobbling on crutches? Jeez?

Most doctors (not Daktaried!) don't realize that being active means more than . . . golf. In fact, we had a huge laugh after the surgery the doctor told Jonathan he would be able to resume activity, "like a round of golf", in 6 months. Jonathan replied: "In 12 months I plan to climb Kilimanjaro." The doctor blinked.

:wings: Go for it! Just be sure to do the therapy, flex til it hurts, and make sure you lose the extra weight (beforehand).

cruiser guy

Explorer
I can't talk to knee replacements but I did have a hip replacement in May/07 and I'm only 46! I was up to walking 10km after a month or so and I have not felt this good since before my hip started getting painful.
I was like you and researched joints and asked for the best possible. I told the doctor that he might be a real nice guy and all but I don't want to see him again!!
The joint pain was gone as soon as the surgery was done and, yes, they want you up and mobile ASAP. The physio and doctor told me they had not seen anyone recover as fast as I did but I attribute it to being in decent shape before going in.
Did I mention that this was only 6 months after open heart surgery?!?

Now I'm the new 6 million dollar man!!

DaJudge

Explorer
I have a friend that went for years with bad knees because he was affraid of the surgery. He finally gave in about five years ago. He came through fine and after a few weeks he said he was an idiot for waiting so long. Just from seeing the change in him I would have to say you will not regret it.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
I had my right one done at 33. Took a little over two years to feel normal again. At least no more shots anymore. Dang that hurt.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Again, thanks to all that have responded! It's nice to hear the results have been good for guy's similar in age to myself.

Fireman78 said:
...At least no more shots anymore. Dang that hurt.

Yeah, the needle dancing it's way between the bones and into the joint capsule is a real joy...but the knee isn't as bad as doing the rotator cuff in the shoulder. The last knee series I had was Synvisc, and it felt good for about a week after the last shot.

I tell ya, if I could take a time machine back to my mispent youth, I'd give myself a good chewing out. Of course I wouldn't believe the balding, worn out old fat dude with the grey hair... :oops:

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
"I tell ya, if I could take a time machine back to my mispent youth, I'd give myself a good chewing out. Of course I wouldn't believe the balding, worn out old fat dude with the grey hair... "

oh dude that is so true.......:wings:

AndrewP

Explorer
desertgirl66 said:
When I had my fitness training business, I had a wonderful client---62 years old---he had both knees replaced at the same time! He was back working out in my gym after 4 weeks. The key to his surgery and subsuquential recovery, was that he was in pretty good shape to begin with, and got right back on track after he got the ok from his doctor and physical therapist.

Go for it, you will love to be able to walk again with much less pain :sunflower

48 is young to do a knee replacement-you are young enough to do it twice.

My dad just had one, and he was in great shape for a 74 year old. 4 days in the hospital. 10 days in a rehab place, back to normal by 4 weeks. I was pretty impressed.

If you are in good shape going in, your recovery will be easy. If you've been an overwieght slacker, your recovery will be delayed, it's like anything else.

Good luck!

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Update:

Decided to get a few opinions on the procedure prior to making a firm decision. I've now seen three Orthopedic Surgeons, and two of the three had very similar diagnosis. Finished that process yeasterday.

All three consider my knee to be substantially more difficult than most due to the previous injury's and surgeries, (a torn PCL, loose ACL, substantial scar tissue, and severe flattening due to being bone on bone for the last few years, and an attempt at large scale microfracture surgery that didn't work) and as those who know me, I'm not a little guy. I have lost almost 10 Lbs in the last month, and hope to continue loosing weight gradually. I'm back on my mountain bike and riding thru the pain. It hurts like hell, but I know I've got to try and rebuild the muscle structure prior to the operation. I bought a bag of generic frozen Peas to ice the bugger down, and that helps some.

To use the traditional guide rods to align the implants my local surgeon recommended removal of the 12MM femoral rod that's been in my leg since 1985. That isn't a real delightful thing to go thru. It requires removal of the anchoring screw, a 5" long incision thru the hip adductor's, the use of a removal device similar to a slide hammer to literally pound the rod free, and then several months of recovery to let the bone heal. Once that's healed, it would be time for the replacement.

The other two Surgeons are both in Flagstaff, and use Computer Assisted techniques to align the implants vs. the guide rods. I was impressed with the fact that the one Dr. flat out told me he wasn't up to doing such a complicated knee replacement and recommended me to the second who specializes in knee replacements. They both feel the precision in aligning the implants via the computer offers a much longer lasting implant, and it doesn't require removing the femoral rod. The Flag hospital also has a wing dedicated to bone and joint injuries that has been essentially double sterilized and they maintain a very high level of control of personnel and equipment to prevent infections. I'll be heading back to Flag again this month for a second consultation and planning meeting to get the ball rolling.

Mark

Last edited:

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
No matter what route you end up going with, weight loss will make the recovery a lot better. Kudos for 10 pounds already, that is awesome!

ExpoMike

Having just gotten back from my doctor to have 20cc's of fluid drained, Cortisone shot and Synvisc injection #1 done, I can feel for you. At some point I will need a knee replacement and we are just trying to manage it as long as we can. Getting ready to turn 40, I have a number of years before they would want to do the replacement. I am hoping by that time, technology will have improved greatly.

Hang in there, do everything you can to lose weight (easier said then done) and keep a positive attitude. Best of luck. :wavey:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan