Knife Sharpening

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Side note:
What I like about the Lansky and Apex style of sharpeners, is: you can make double bevel edges, and you can create different edges for different types of cutting. And you can easily re-create a damaged edge.

You don't want the same edge angle on your chef's knife as you need on a pocket knife. Even the kitchen knives should have different edges: chef, utility, butcher, chopper, santoku, all need different edges. Unless you are skilled at controlling blade angles against the sticks, the Spyderco will not do this for you.

The only correction I'll make here: this isn't a "side note"; instead, it's the whole point of getting a flexible system. You state it perfectly though. The Edge Pro instructions even recommend double-bevel edges for certain blades and shows you how to do them.

Nice summary of critical features and benefits.

Without a doubt, the most versatile and accurate sharpener I've ever used.

The only thing I've seen that looks better is the pro model, but the Apex has served me well for anything from a 10" chef's blade to a small 2" pocket knife.

Agreed... 100%

To be transparent I'll throw out there that my friend Ben owns Edge Pro, so take this as a shameless plug if you like, but without bias...

I've got to say that the Edge Pro is hands down the best sharpener out there. I had an Apex when I owned a restaurant, and it was quick, accurate, and well made. There is a technique to learn, but once you have it down, you'll be sold for life. I use Ben's Pro model at his shop here in Hood River about once every 3 months, and it puts a nice bevel and edge on the blades of anything from my classic Swiss Army to my high end chef's knives.

Also for what it's worth... my brother is a custom knife maker / artisan, has been featured in publications such as Blade and others, and he can make a blade sharp-sharp... he agrees though- aside from himself (he's biased) the Edge Pro is the best sharpener out there... so good that my Apex is now in his hands.

Last edited:

kjp1969

Explorer
The Spyderco arrived a couple of days ago, and I've sharpened everything in sight. I have knives now that are scarey sharp. Thanks everyone!

85CUCV

Adventurer
Jantz Supply paper wheel kit.
A little initial investment and practice, but your buddies will have you sharping their knives. I bought a Rigid bench grinder and changed grinding stones out for the Jantz paper wheels. I also reversed the direction so you can work from the top of the wheel. I cannot find the exact kit I ordered online. Easy to have a surgical sharp knife with this outfit.

From Jantz Supply;
These are the best sharpening wheels ever developed for sharpening knives. Made from compressed fiberboard and bonded with silicon carbide powder on one wheel, a white rouge on the other. This 2 wheel system will allow the user to grind a fine edge then clean and polish to an unbelievable sharp edge.

climber-420

Adventurer
I use a mouse pad and some 600,800, and 1200 grit wet/dry sandpaper. has worked better than anything else i have wasted my money on.

jeeperaz

Observer
A little initial investment and practice, but your buddies will have you sharping their knives. I bought a Rigid bench grinder and changed grinding stones out for the Jantz paper wheels. I also reversed the direction so you can work from the top of the wheel. I cannot find the exact kit I ordered online. Easy to have a surgical sharp knife with this outfit.

I purchased the 'Razor Sharp' paper wheel system after reading a lot about it... not a fan, although I'll give it another try since I now have more sharpening experience than when I first tried using it.

I use japanese waterstones.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
I've used stones & oil most of my life. It takes a lot of practice to do it correctly.

Then I bought the Spyderco V-Sticks. They made for a more uniform edge, that was always fairly sharp. I had no complaints.

Then I started to learn about the different types of edges, what they are used for, and how to generate them on a blade. To do this, I purchased a Lansky-rod system, a razor strop and polishing compound. Now I have an edge that really is sharp, and it lasts much longer than before. The Spyderco edge would probably be better, if stropped after sharpening too.

The Apex looks like the cream-of-the-crop, for knife sharpening.

Also, the Wicked Edge looks like a nice piece of equipment; but it is more bulky than the other systems.

Learn why and how to strop the edge, if you like them sharp. Stropping.

It is always fun to see it when you post - you find the coolest information. Thanks once again!

Photog

Explorer
I use a mouse pad and some 600,800, and 1200 grit wet/dry sandpaper. has worked better than anything else i have wasted my money on.

Using a mouse-pad and paper will create a convex edge. A convex edge is great for many types of cutting. Many of the Japanese kitchen blades have this edge. It is not good for everything; but like the Spyderco edge, most people would be happy with it.

To create a good convex edge with a mouse-pad, you need to have a proper edge on the knife, in the first place. The mouse-pad will not create the proper edge shape, it will only round out (make convex) the edge that is already there. The strop does the same thing, to a lesser degree, depending on how it is used.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader

From Jantz Supply;

When using the wheels, do they create any heat on the edge that might affect the temper of the steel?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears