Knockoff ARB (HF Air) air compressor

XJLI

Adventurer
Having recently shifted from a cheap Chinese compressor to a Viair, I can tell you there's a huge difference in quality.

I did the opposite. The VIAIR was definitely well made, but this little guy works for me. I’m not worried about it.

RVflyfish

Fishing is life. The rest is details.
Thanks for starting this thread. I've never had a compressor and the discussion helps.

Any chance you can update the link to the one you chose? eBay doesn't find anything when I click it.

XJLI

Adventurer

NMBruce

Adventurer
The dual compressor is the way to go. It’s a 100% duty cycle compressor so it doesn’t shut down from overheating if you have to fill larger tires.

RVflyfish

Thanks guys. Here’s a twin on Aliexpress:

CKMTA12

For comparison, the ARB version seems to be going for $616 most places including 4 Wheel Parts and Amazon.

Last edited:

XJLI

Adventurer
The dual compressor is the way to go. It’s a 100% duty cycle compressor so it doesn’t shut down from overheating if you have to fill larger tires.

the smaller one is still 30/30... 30 minutes is a loooooong time and if you're hitting the duty cycle on that you need a larger compressor full stop. IIRC I only needed 90 seconds or so a tire.

XJLI

Adventurer
Did you snag one of these? Curious to know the duty cycle as it's not listed.

It's almost certainly the same as the ARB, so 100%. Email the seller, they're usually very quick to respond despite the language barrier. I've never had a bad experience ordering from AliExpress.

UglyViking

I found a video on youtube that seems to indicate it's similar but not the same. So likely a knockoff and not made in the same factory, or if it is they are using some cheaper options on the knock off.

It looks like the knock off is using a 24v fan and so the cooling isn't as good as the ARB. That's a super cheap upgrade.

The main point of concern was the connection for the piston, which had surface rust.

RVflyfish

Do you mean that swapping in a 12v fan to replace the 24v would be a super cheap upgrade?

UglyViking

Do you mean that swapping in a 12v fan to replace the 24v would be a super cheap upgrade?
Yes. 12v fans are pretty inexpensive for a quality unit, and running a 24v fan with only 12v is known to not be optimal. I'd make that change before I installed one if I bought the knockoff.

XJLI

Adventurer
Since OBA came up in another thread I figured I'd post an update here.

VyBORdJ.jpg

No hiccups all of '23, it gets used a lot as I'm on the beach often. It does get warm, but never as hot as my VIAIR portable did. I couldn't touch the hose fitting at the compressor after filling all 4 tires. This one gets hot, but you can still work with it.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Curious why you didn't just hard mount the Viair compressor... I have a Viair 400c mounted under my truck and it comes in handy all the time. Not as fast as the converted A/C compressor setup on my Jeep but fast enough for my use. It mostly gets used for airing up flat or low tires on other people's vehiches but I have used it to air up the truck tires too. It's been hanging out under the truck for about 7 years with zero problems, plumbed to a quick fitting to the rear bumper and wired to a switch on the dash through a 90psi cutoff switch relay.

I guess if the knock-off compressor dies, you can just hard mount the Viair in its place... Hopefully it doesn't die though...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior