Kobus’ Faux Roast Chicken - Recipe

LifeRemotely

Observer
We use our Dutch oven more than any other pot in our overland Kitchen. Over the next few weeks we will publish a series of recipes for the traveling chef.

Here is the first.

Serves: 6
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1.5 to 2 hours
Estimated Cost: Under $10

The first time I made this chicken it was a winner and we immediately added it to the "cook it again list". This method of cooking the chicken creates a tender, juicy, fall-of-the-bone meal that is straight out of flavor crystal heaven. It is easy to make and takes very little culinary skill, after all I am just the driver.

roast.jpg

It's not technically roast chicken since it's partially cooked in liquid, hence the "faux". It's semi-roasted, the legs and thighs are cooked in liquid while the white meat and most of the veggies, being above the liquid, are roasted to perfection. You get fall-off-the-bone dark meat and juicy roasted white meat, best of both worlds.

The Ingredients
  • 1 whole chicken that fits in your Dutch oven, cleaned and trimmed of excess fat
  • 1 large yellow onion, diced
  • 4 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped and divided into two piles
  • 1 lemon, halved with seeds removed
  • 2 tbsp olive or vegetable oil
  • 6 strips of bacon, diced
  • 3 carrots, cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 3 potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 1 16oz beer or 2 cups chicken stock
  • 1 tbsp oregano
  • 2 tsp cayenne chili powder, optional
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Read the Full Recipe here>>>

Joanne

Adventurer
Nice recipe! I LOVE chicken from a Dutch Oven. They come out moist like no other cooking method. I realize that the DOs are a bit heavy for some folks to lug around in their expo vehicles, but I can't imagine camping without one...or two...or three... :chef: Hot biscuits or cinnamon rolls at breakfast are always a treat. All kinds of possibilities for dinner. And who doesn't like cobbler for dessert? Or cherry clafouti when cherries are in season. If I'm staying in camp for the day, I'll make a loaf of rustic bread. Folks just don't believe fresh bread out in the middle of nowhere.

Hot herb rolls!
2lp1rl.jpg

Anyway, can't wait to see more recipes!

Joanne

LifeRemotely

Observer
Joanne, I agree. I do not know how we survived without one.

The Hot herb rolls looks awesome, got a recipe that I can give a shot?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears