Kofa and Dripping Springs - At Night

Scott Brady

Founder
Sometimes the best laid plans - well - don't workout.

A good friend of mine Barry wanted to do some testing with his new 2010 Powerwagon, freshly shod with 37" tires and a sweet Carli suspension. We had planned to leave early from the LA area and hit the trail by about 2:00. A few unforeseen delays happened, and we ended up coming through Quartzite at 5:00

On our way to Prescott, we took a shortcut through the Kofa, and one of my favorite remote technical trails.

Powerwagon and the J8: The best of breeds
Dripping_Springs_13.jpg

Dripping_Springs_12.jpg

The Power Wagon has a Hawk Fourwheel Camper attached.
Dripping_Springs_11.jpg

The trail starts from Quartzite and moves through some beautiful Sonoran desert before constraining into the Plomosa Wash
Dripping_Springs_10.jpg

Dripping_Springs_4.jpg

It continues to narrow, and a series of shelfs provide some challenge. The Power Wagon had an easier time of this one than the J8 due to lockers.
Dripping_Springs_3.jpg

Where it struggled a bit was the tight confines of the canyon. It came down to a few inches at times. Fun stuff.
Dripping_Springs_2.jpg

The last shelf was easier than the first, but required a tight left-hand turn at the top.
Dripping_Springs_1.jpg

We camped on a hardened rock shelf. I slept on the new AT drawer system and woke to a great sunrise - life is good.
33691_10150095910413275_640113274_7421146_5644381_n.jpg

For a little more into on Dripping Springs, here is a trip report I did many years ago (2003) in my old Trooper that has more info and photos.

Dripping Springs

Last edited:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Too funny, I got a text from Mark Stephens this morning saying he just saw a "stacked Power Wagon with a FWC", as he was headed for the Grand Canyon. Wonder if this one was it...

That's hot. Way hot. Fun looking trail in, love Kofa. Great night shots too.

There was a newer Power Wagon & FWC Hawk combo on Anchorage's Craigslist last week. Talk about tempting... Fly up & drive back home! :smiley_drive:

fstrat

Wow, I love the look of that Powerwagon. Dodge sure did something right with the headlights/ front end. Great build. Nice Jeep too!
Great pics, looks like a fun time.

Rexsname

Explorer
I have heard the Power Wagon described as a 3/4 ton Rubicon, Scott, would you agree with that?

REX

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Did you happen to get a side profile shot of the PW? That is a serious rig!

Fun little trip you had. Thanks for sharing!

Rot Box

Explorer
Agreed--nice rigs!

What was it like backing up in the dark with that FWC on the trail? :Wow1: Mine is a pain in the daylight sometimes in the tight spots lol.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Nice pictures. Oh, that Power Wagon is awesome! I would love to see more of it, especially the bumpers and Carli suspension goodies.

Does that cargo box under the camper bed rub the roof? It looks like it could if twisted tight enough.

Dodge needs to offer the Power Wagon in a standard cab/long bed configuration again, as not everybody wants or needs a crew cab. A crew cab is a lot of truck to maneuver around on the trail.

Scott Brady

Founder
I am going to start a thread on the PW later this week. It is an awesome truck.

I would certainly say it is a 3/4 ton Rubicon. Actually, if it will fit, it will go.

articulate

Expedition Leader
Too funny, I got a text from Mark Stephens this morning saying he just saw a "stacked Power Wagon with a FWC", as he was headed for the Grand Canyon. Wonder if this one was it...
That certainly was it. I don't feel so bad about failing to fire off a frame as we passed each other. Scott's pictures do the job :)

While the Sportsmobile really tops the list in my mind, seeing the Hawk on this PW was - how to put it? - inspiring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears