KTM 690enduro

Trail Monkey

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0014
does anybody have first hand experience on this bike positive or negative.

also does anyone know if there is an 09 version planned and if there will be changes. im looking at an 08 at a dealer.

thx

Juntura

Observer
I don't know if you have been to ADVRider yet, but it is an excellent site and there is mountains of info, good and bad, on the 690 in the thumpers section. I have attached a link to the primary thread, but it is long. I would skip to June or July of '08 as that's when guys actually started getting bikes.

I was real interested in the 690, but went cheap dirt bike instead.

Good luck

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137643

Trail Monkey

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0014
Juntura said:
I don't know if you have been to ADVRider yet, but it is an excellent site and there is mountains of info, good and bad, on the 690 in the thumpers section. I have attached a link to the primary thread, but it is long. I would skip to June or July of '08 as that's when guys actually started getting bikes.

I was real interested in the 690, but went cheap dirt bike instead.

Good luck

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137643

Thx.. ive read the thread. crazy crazy long. so hard to decide its $3k more then everything else in its class. But I like it so much more...:sombrero:

Not sure if i buy for instance the KLX which is really nice for the money and then throw a load of extras on it, which i will do. If in the end ill still wish i had started with the KTM... Decision's...

Scootr

I vote ORANGE!!!

No personal experience with the 690, but I have had a lot of bikes... Buy the one you want - otherwise prepare to be disappointed until you do.

Juntura

Observer
690r

I would second Scootr's advice. I bought a heavily farkled and well cared for KLX400 (DRZ-E) that was set up with blinkers and such over the 690E I was drooling over. Has been a blast to ride and I have put a couple of thousand miles on it since June, but I still check the 690 thread on ADV twice a day- can't get my mind off of that damn bike.

My riding buddy justed picked up a VERY clean TE610 with big tank etc, for a song. I rode his bike and was blown away by the performance difference a euro bike offers- same weight, more power, feels tighter.

HelaJames

Observer
I love my 690!!!! I came off a 450 then a 525 to the 690, for a true on/off road bike it cannot be matched.

If you are like me and live at altitude and ride a bunch of different altitudes the fuel injection rules!!!!!

Love it glad I bought it!!!

Jim

Oni

Adventurer
I ride with about 3 690 owners. Very nice bike! I don't think you would regret getting one...but may regret not getting one.

Juntura

Observer
We wish they sold that bike! That is the Rally bike, available but kinda pricey. The 690 the dealers offer is a little different.

NothingClever

Explorer
Trail Monkey said:
Not sure if i buy for instance the KLX which is really nice for the money and then throw a load of extras on it, which i will do. If in the end ill still wish i had started with the KTM... Decision's...

That was my experience when I bought my first dual sport after a 20 year break. I bought a good bike after some research but at the time I didn't know I'd grow to need a great bike.

So as I racked up the numbers on the odometer, I started hanging all kinds of parts on it hoping to make it something that it never was going to be (lighter, better componentry, more durable dirt-focused acessories, etc).

In the end when I realized the bike I had wasn't up to the task, after looking at all the available options I bought a different brand dual sport because it was the right bike for my riding desires, style and purpose.

Hindsight's always 20-20. Had I known then what I know now, I could have spared myself all the time fiddling with finding all the right parts for the first bike and just focused on riding & maintaining a better-designed bike.

YMMV...good luck with the research.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online