Ladder Options?

chadlanc

Adventurer
photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpg

Getting in and out of the unimog camper is a pain in the a**. Its only two small steps. I was looking into some of the scissor stairs but at several hundred dollars seems worth it just to get a step stool.

any suggestions or diy ideas?

Eric06Rubi

Observer
Build an extension that hooks on the "ladder" you have there, that goes to the ground, and stores
inside the door when not in use. Just a suggestion. :coffee:

Google it Research

Master of Disaster
My buddy had a ridiculously tall blazer and he used a thick chain to build steps. He welded all the links that were horizontal but left the vertical links free. That way if he hit a rock or brush it would just sway and bounce. I'm willing to bet he spent less than $10.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
If those storage rails go deep enough into the chassis to allow for it, you could just weld on an extension of the same thing you already have, maybe make it another step longer.

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
We have a similar pull out ladder and a short step ladder. The sides of the step ladder straddle the pull out one allowing for differences in height and slope. They could be joined or hooked on but I don't think it needs it :) It lives on the floor inside while driving, only downside is putting it away after a nights rain, but not much of a biggy.

Or-

Attachments

• Bremmi steps.JPG
    Bremmi steps.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 12

canals1164

Observer
IMG_0804.jpgIMG_0807.jpg If you have a welder we made a fold down walk way with steps at the back, it took a few attempts but it folds to be set out by 2 inches when travelling. It is suported by a simple sliding tube. The difficult part was to make the side rail carry the suport chain for the steps and transfer the strain across the rail and back to the support bar. It took a good day to do but is very simple with just two legnths of piano hinge 1x2 & 1x1 box and some 3mm chequer plate.
It depends on what tools you have available, I think I will get a fabricator to make a more refined set in ally but it works really well and didnt cost much!

Good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman