Lance 825 or N.L. 8-11SP+? Good deals on both

Jsoboti

TLDR: Help me chose between a new 2023 Lance 825 for $42k ($55k MSRP) and a 2020 Northern Lite 8-11 Sportsman Plus for $34k.

Camper will be used mostly in the winter for long ski trips, I have a FWC Hawk for summer trips.

The Lance Pros and Cons:
Pros: It has all the bells and whistles such as acrylic windows, Truma Combi heater, lithium, bluetooth speakers, TV (winter we watch movies a lot), awning. Its also marked down by almost $13K
Cons: It doesn't have the same construction or build quality of the Northern Lite, we walked through them both, it's just not the same. But, is it good enough? Probably. It doesn't have great ski storage so I would need a rocket box on the roof. It has aluminum in the walls and there will be some thermal bridging. The interior feels a little sterile with the color choices and it can only store 1x 20lb propane tank.

The Northern Lite Pros and Cons
Pros: Its a northern lite, insulation, build quality etc. The integrated ski storage right beneath the door is amazing. It's slightly larger and roomier. Cozier feeling with the color scheme.6 Year structural warranty.
Cons: Only 100W of solar so I'll need to add more, need to add lithium and maybe DC-DC charger. Doesn't have a TV. Uses the Dometic/Atwood propane furnace which is loud and inefficient, I'll probably end ups installing a diesel heater as some point. Weighs about 300lbs more than the Lance 825. No awning.

If you've made it this far in the post, nice job and thank you

andy_b

TLDR: Help me chose between a new 2023 Lance 825 for $42k ($55k MSRP) and a 2020 Northern Lite 8-11 Sportsman Plus for $34k.

Camper will be used mostly in the winter for long ski trips, I have a FWC Hawk for summer trips.

The Lance Pros and Cons:
Pros: It has all the bells and whistles such as acrylic windows, Truma Combi heater, lithium, bluetooth speakers, TV (winter we watch movies a lot), awning. Its also marked down by almost $13K
Cons: It doesn't have the same construction or build quality of the Northern Lite, we walked through them both, it's just not the same. But, is it good enough? Probably. It doesn't have great ski storage so I would need a rocket box on the roof. It has aluminum in the walls and there will be some thermal bridging. The interior feels a little sterile with the color choices and it can only store 1x 20lb propane tank.

The Northern Lite Pros and Cons
Pros: Its a northern lite, insulation, build quality etc. The integrated ski storage right beneath the door is amazing. It's slightly larger and roomier. Cozier feeling with the color scheme.6 Year structural warranty.
Cons: Only 100W of solar so I'll need to add more, need to add lithium and maybe DC-DC charger. Doesn't have a TV. Uses the Dometic/Atwood propane furnace which is loud and inefficient, I'll probably end ups installing a diesel heater as some point. Weighs about 300lbs more than the Lance 825. No awning.

If you've made it this far in the post, nice job and thank you

To meet the objectives of better winter performance, Northern Lite. All of its limitations you've outlined, apart from weight, can be fixed. The poor construction, lack of ski storage and absence of insulation in the Lance cannot.

Go with the Northern Lite. I bought a NL10-2 in 2018. It's been & still is a great product. In 2005 I bought a BigFoot 9.4. I had that for 13 years. It's basically the same thing as the NL. In between those 2 campers, I bought an Arctic Fox (I almost bought a Lance). The Arctic Fox is about the same quality as the Lance in my opinion. I sold the Arctic Fox after a couple of months. I hated it. I've spent years (literally) in these things (see my thread in In Progress Adventures).

Does the NL have the porch with the steps ? That's an outstanding feature of NL.

20240114_062547.jpg

simple

Adventurer
I'd go with the northern lite. Some of them had a winter package with double pane windows so if you don't go for that one, you might be able to find one that does.

I like the propane furnace over a diesel for most heating applications. If you're going to be in a really cold place then adding the diesel heater as an additional heat source and running it hard is a good plan. If you just want a little heat and want to set and forget the thermostat than the propane furnace is better.

The factory solar charge controller might not be up to the task off adding panels, you'll have to check.

Jsoboti

Go with the Northern Lite. I bought a NL10-2 in 2018. It's been & still is a great product. In 2005 I bought a BigFoot 9.4. I had that for 13 years. It's basically the same thing as the NL. In between those 2 campers, I bought an Arctic Fox (I almost bought a Lance). The Arctic Fox is about the same quality as the Lance in my opinion. I sold the Arctic Fox after a couple of months. I hated it. I've spent years (literally) in these things (see my thread in In Progress Adventures).

Does the NL have the porch with the steps ? That's an outstanding feature of NL.
Thanks for the reply. Super good info! The one i'm looking at doesnt have the porch option. I figured the weight savings and keeping the rig a little shorter is better. Sounds like you use yours a lot? For changing out of boots or usually just to sit and hang out on?

I lived in the NL for nearly 5 years straight. I lived in the BigFoot quite a bit too. As Simple stated, the double pane windows are a real bonus (I have them). I've done considerable time in cold weather. I actually have never used my water system as I keep my camper winterized full time. I carry water in one gallon water jugs that I haul in my Jeep. Works for me.

My BigFoot had the scissor stairs. You have to be careful with those things. I fell several times over the years. The porch & flip up stairs are as safe as it gets. They're so solid. You step out the door onto a solid surface, and the stairs are extremely sturdy. I'd consider adding them.

Regarding batteries, I was offered free Lithium batteries from a company if I would use their batteries. I declined. I've done just fine with regular batteries.

The basement is an added plus. Awesome for storing gear. All my climbing / hiking / kayaking stuff goes in there.

The propane heater works great for me. You'd definitely want to add solar cause that things sucks the juice. I don't use a generator and 2 panels works just fine for me. Sometimes I'll light a single burner on the stove and within 5 minutes the entire unit is heated. Typically I'll do that on cold, wintery days. Intermittently of course.

I've never concerned myself with weight. I know it's talked about a lot on here. I've got around 400,000 miles traveling with a truck camper. Maybe I've just been lucky.

After I sold the Arctic Fox truck camper, I bought the Renegade shown below. I had it for a few months and hated it too. Sold it and bought the NL and have loved it every day. I still miss the BigFoot. They're almost identical.

This is all real world information. Just what has worked for me for nearly two decades now.

Screenshot_20220315-093442_Gallery_copy_1600x778.jpg

20240111_063210_copy_1600x747.jpg

Alloy

The NL is the better on of a bad (RV construction) bunch. I know NL have issues with black&grey vent pipes breaking at the top of the tank, storage compartment doors leaking, door seal leaks, drawer slides fail.

For the cold they don't have aluminum (is the worst) framing but they do have wood/plywood to recinforce the fiberglass shell. Insulation is inserted between the plywood. The seams around the plyood are poorly sealed so when it's cold water condnses in the seams. The water will drip from the ceiling or fill the LED lights up with water

Check to see what month year it was built i.e. a Covid build

Alloy

View attachment 816516

That a 10-2 on a SRW?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan

Members online