Land Cruiser Info

Topher7

Chris
Good morning everyone,

Apologies for this thread not being too "tech" involved. I'm in need of some help from the Toyota community. My wife and I are moving to Managua, Nicaragua for 2 years and will be purchasing a vehicle down there. My expo vehicles have always been Jeeps (just sold my 2004 LJ 2 days ago to prepare for the move) but I am very excited to start off in a new platform. I'm debating between Land Cruisers, Patrols, and Monteros.

There are a plethora of varying models down there and I just don't know much about what to look for, look out for, and the best model of Cruiser. Primarily I've found that the 80 series, Land Cruiser II, and even some of the Troop models are within our price range. They're all (for the most part) diesels with a manual gearbox. I prefer to have a diesel and stick, but again I just don't know much about the preferred years and what to look for regarding the drivetrain. I have toyed with the idea of buying something old enough, 25 years old, to be able to import after our time down there but I'm not set on that yet. Opinions are welcome and any guidance as to where I should start researching would be of great assistance.

(I'll be posting this in the Nissan and Mitsubishi subforums on the site so apologies for any repeat posts...no need to respond in all 3 :) )

Thanks!

-Chris

Rezarf <><

Explorer
If you have a plan to return with the truck, I'd pick out a diesel Land Cruiser in any flavor that you like and fits your needs. I am not sure but if you can land a 70 series troopie with the diesel and a turbo, you'd pretty much be the envy of anyone state side.

The 80s are tough as nails and one of the best out of the box 4x4's ever... especially with a Toyota diesel under the hood.

Or you could go vintage and nab a FJ45 troopie or pickup.

Its like a Land Cruiser candy store down there, have fun.

NCFJ

Adventurer
Sounds to me like you are suffering from a wide array of choices. :) Keep in mind that most of the trucks you will be looking at are primarily work vehicles there. Axle rebuilds, perhaps a clutch etc will be likely suspects for needed attention. Ball joints, spring bushings, link bushings etc should also be considered suspect.

I always look at the sheet metal first and then mechanical and interior in that order. I'd rather rebuild a front axle than burn in new sheet metal.

Good luck, and show us what you end up with, something with a Toyota Diesel and a manual box will be a good one to bring home!

Topher7

Chris
Thanks, great info so far. I really am looking forward to the part of our journey that includes buying and building a different expo rig. I'm partial to the unique style of a 4-door LC II (sorry for not knowing the exact model numbers) and so is my wife, but I have my eye on a Troop - they're just wicked cool. I have a feeling the 80 series would be the better fit for ease of parts, modification, and potentially less abuse from the previous owner. The Patrol is also a strong contender with the Montero falling in last as of right now with the worry of upkeep and parts availability. The only single brand-dealership in the capitol is Toyota, so that's a major plus swinging in Toyota's favor.

I will update once our decision is final. We'll be settling in the second week of July and hopefully have something purchased by the end of the month.

-Chris

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger