Land cruiser straight 6 vs V8?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
One other note on parts availability on the older irons: when calling 'yota parts, one usually asks "how much is this part"? and gets an answer "$xx.xx for the part". go down to buy it, out of stock and no-where to be found:-(

Or just call Onur at American Toyota in Albuquerque NM. He can get pretty much ANYTHING you need for any model of LC. This includes overseas stock. Since "Cruiser Dan" retired from the dealership life and went to curate the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum in Salt Lake City, Onur has picked up the gauntlet.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
One other note on parts availability on the older irons: when calling 'yota parts, one usually asks "how much is this part"? and gets an answer "$xx.xx for the part". go down to buy it, out of stock and no-where to be found:-(

It really isn't that hard to get parts. Between the dealer and plethora of websites out there.

hottahue

The straight 6 are really the best engines Toyota ever made but for the US and for not using it as an overland vehicle which must be super reliable, you should go for something stronger. Especially for towing. You'll win nothing with having a reliable straight 6 and pushing it to the limits all the time. Go for a V8...for example the Lexus engine and you'll have power and piece of mind for a while.
A 1HD-T is a nice option, yes. But not in the US. Extremely expensive to repair (even if super simple) and the fuel you have over there is not perfect for this engine. You should only drive it with additives for lubrication and higher Cetane. And that's not worth it over a much cheaper and easier to repair V8. And if fuel prices stay where they are, who cares if it's 13 or 16mpg?

Gesendet von meinem Moto G (4) mit Tapatalk

Dalko43

Explorer
And if fuel prices stay where they are, who cares if it's 13 or 16mpg?

That's the problem...we're living in lala land in terms of fuel prices. When they eventually go back up, which they will, getting 13-16 mpg for overlanding trips is going to drain your wallet. Maybe that doesn't matter to some people.

the 2.8 cummins is good for a 40, a jeep, an old bronco etc. it doesnt have the HP to push a 4 door up long grades at modern highway speeds. until fuel hits 8 bucks a gallon, its a dumb swap for 4 door rig intended to loaded down.

I disagree. The original 1HD-T 4.2L turbodiesel that was put in overseas LC 80's had a little bit less hp than the Cummins 2.8l and about the same torque. As long as the mods and tire sizes are kept reasonable, the 2.8l cummins should be enough to get the job done.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I disagree. The original 1HD-T 4.2L turbodiesel that was put in overseas LC 80's had a little bit less hp than the Cummins 2.8l and about the same torque. As long as the mods and tire sizes are kept reasonable, the 2.8l cummins should be enough to get the job done.
The little ISF2.8 does seems like a neat mill.

210 hp @ 3,600 rpm
385 lb-ft @ 1,800 rpm
475 lbs (weight)

1HD-T
164 hp @ 3600 rpm
267 lb·ft @ 1400 rpm

Don't know the exact weight of the 1HD, I've read it's around 300 kg, but I would expect it to be quite a bit heavier than the 2.8L whatever it is.

I dunno, maybe waiting around for Toyota to offer a diesel Tacoma isn't worth it if that 2.8L will fit under the hood. My 1GR-FE weighs about 350 lbs and only does 236 hp, 266 lb-ft.

Dalko43

Explorer

210 hp @ 3,600 rpm
385 lb-ft @ 1,800 rpm
475 lbs (weight)

1HD-T
164 hp @ 3600 rpm
267 lb·ft @ 1400 rpm

Don't know the exact weight of the 1HD, I've read it's around 300 kg, but I would expect it to be quite a bit heavier than the 2.8L whatever it is.

I dunno, maybe waiting around for Toyota to offer a diesel Tacoma isn't worth it if that 2.8L will fit under the hood. My 1GR-FE weighs about 350 lbs and only does 236 hp, 266 lb-ft.

I think the actual 2.8l cummins being offered as a crate engine is rated for 165hp and 267lb-ft, which is a bit less than the rating you listed for the ISF version. Even so, the torque delivery and fuel economy you're getting with that engine offers some real potential for engine swaps into old LC's, 4runner's and Tacoma's.

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for Toyota to offer a diesel in North America....

DaveInDenver

I think the actual 2.8l cummins being offered as a crate engine is rated for 165hp and 267lb-ft, which is a bit less than the rating you listed for the ISF version. Even so, the torque delivery and fuel economy you're getting with that engine offers some real potential for engine swaps into old LC's, 4runner's and Tacoma's.
That's kind of a bummer, I would have quite liked that amount of power and getting I'm sure better than 30 MPG.

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for Toyota to offer a diesel in North America....
That was tongue-in-cheek. :)

calicamper

Expedition Leader

210 hp @ 3,600 rpm
385 lb-ft @ 1,800 rpm
475 lbs (weight)

1HD-T
164 hp @ 3600 rpm
267 lb·ft @ 1400 rpm

Way cheaper just to get a diesel Canyon or Colorado if you want a little diesel truck. You can even get locking front and rear diffs ?. My last 3 trucks were all toyotas I highly doubt Ill own another one. Pretty sure my next truck will be a domestic something. Im not too brand picky these days given all the trucks and SUVs except Fiat built junk are pretty good vehicles

DaveInDenver

Way cheaper just to get a diesel Canyon or Colorado if you want a little diesel truck. You can even get locking front and rear diffs ��. My last 3 trucks were all toyotas I highly doubt Ill own another one. Pretty sure my next truck will be a domestic something. Im not too brand picky these days given all the trucks and SUVs except Fiat built junk are pretty good vehicles
This comes up all the time, suffice to say to get a diesel Colorado you have to opt for the highest level spec and I don't really want to pay $40K for a truck. Plus I want a stick shift and an extended/Access/XtraCab and not a 4 door, which basically eliminates the GM trucks and truthfully all trucks it seems now. I may have to re-evaluate that someday but for now it is what it is.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I agree with you Dave. The Colorado diesel is stupid expensive. And I'll add that the "crap from Fiat" comment made me laugh. I've got a couple of acquaintances with 280,000 and 300,000 on their "crap" Ram trucks in less than 3 years. Both have done nothing more than routine maintenance.

There really isn't much out there for the "keep it simple" buyer. It's a shame that the soccer mom and gluttony mentality rule the truck market in North America. The rest of the world seems to be able to deal with simple, solid and reliable. Why can't we??

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I agree with you Dave. The Colorado diesel is stupid expensive. And I'll add that the "crap from Fiat" comment made me laugh. I've got a couple of acquaintances with 280,000 and 300,000 on their "crap" Ram trucks in less than 3 years. Both have done nothing more than routine maintenance.

There really isn't much out there for the "keep it simple" buyer. It's a shame that the soccer mom and gluttony mentality rule the truck market in North America. The rest of the world seems to be able to deal with simple, solid and reliable. Why can't we??

Profit vs models people also pay more for the mid sized overseas and get far more rudimentry interiors etc. here to make it work they need to be 30-40k and no one is going to pay that if they have manual windows, plastic seats and loud interiors. The top trim by the way is the Denali with tax out the door its like 50k.

The GMC SLT is about $1000 more than a Colorado about 34k out the door. My 2.5L Subaru Outback today is about 32k out the door and is still the cheapest option that size and decent awd. So the way I see it if 34k is too steep for a truck that puts the Subaru to shame regarding power, load hauling. Mileage and capability then your probably not the buyer they are targeting and make the numbers work to build and sell them.

You can buy really nice used rigs for less than half if your budget is smaller nothing wrong with that.

hottahue

The rest of the world? Who do you mean. In Europe it's even more complicated. Australia the same. That's why I mentioned not to look at the fuel economy. A new petrol is still easy and cheap to maintain and a 1GR for example has more than enough power for everything. Yes a 1HD-T is nice but getting one could be really expensive...and the more money you spend just to have a bit a better milage...? Is that worth it? Maybe if you spend a lot of time on the road but not for a few trips that doesn't exceed 15-20.000 miles a year.
And everything that's newer than a 1HZ or HDT is so complicated and expensive to maintain that you can decide to spend your money on petrol or at the local garage...
We're in Mexico at the moment and guess what, everyone knows how to repair a FourRunner over here...but our 1HZ? I'll better do it on my own...even the maintenance.

Gesendet von meinem Moto G (4) mit Tapatalk

NCFJ

Adventurer
If we are going to include V8 swaps in this I will throw the 5.3L Vortec/ 4L65E swap into the mix. I've done quite a few swaps in the 60 series and it's a game changer. You keep the old school cool of the 60/62 series with updated power to make it easier to drive in modern day traffic.

The HUGE reward in this swap is parts availability and overall knowledge of the platform in shops across this country and others. There are literally millions of Vortec motors out there in scrap yards sitting in wrecked GM and Chevy trucks. Both the OEM and aftermarket support of this platform is only out shined by the support for it's originator, the SBC. The Original iron block 5.3L Vortecs and their aluminum block off spring are considered to be fleet motors, capable of 300-500K miles on basic maintenance. I have an old friend that is a fleet mechanic, has been for 35 years. He tells me that hands down the 5.3L posts better numbers than any other gas motor they've dealt with.

I've swapped in the LS3 6.2L and lord knows it is cooler than he%%, but for the reliability factor and overall maintainability, the 5.3L is hard to beat.

Just one guy's opinion :)

zimm

Expedition Leader
161 hp at a low rpm is not enough for highway speeds up grades in a set up 4 door. Your minimum numbers are 210hp/280tq. For the off-road stuff it's all about the gearing, not the engine.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I'm out of the Cruiser game and back into a Toyota pickup, but my 100 series was the best wagon I've ever owned. I looked at 2nd gen 4runners, 80s and 100s when shopping, but the 100 for me was the best of all worlds unless you really need a solid axle or want the styling of the older body for personal aesthetic reasons or smaller body of a Runner for size/mpg reasons. Tip: If you're choosing between Cruisers just forget MPG and choose the model you like best and go from there. If I'd truly taken that to heart before buying my 100, I'd most likely have just bought a 60. (Otherwise, maybe consider looking at a GX470, I think they pull a few more MPG.)

The GX is bested by the V8 4runner regarding mileage. That and the 4runner gets a better rear gate setup. Its cheaper too. I looked at them but same reason I sold my 4runner, too small, too narrow and no where as good as the LC I had. The LC got tight on butts in seats and range wasnt so great. So I found the Jumbo 4runner errr Sequoia which has been a great combo of size vs range etc. Though I'd love a Diesel Canyon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan