Land Mobile Radios as an alternative to ham

Nevets10

Observer
First, Your forum looks great and has a wealth of information. I'm glad I found it, there's lot to learn here. I should introduce myself as I'm new to this forum. I've been working with off-road vehicles for 25+ years, doing some expeditions in the NW and now I'm currently a private military contractor teaching critical off-road driving skills to the military for their new uparmor HMMWVs (M1151).

I noticed all the talk about radios, especially ham 2 meters and CB. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. I won't get into the legal stuff about Ham licenses and equipment.

But I didn't see much about Land Mobile Radios LMR), either VHF or UHF. We switched over to them all=most exclusively from their related ham radios.

The 2 meter band is from 144-148 MHz and does require a license. We use ICOM VHF radios which have a range from 136-174 MHz. We've had GREAT results with them too. They're FM so they're line-of-sight but we can easily get 15-20 miles (actual legitimate miles) from peak to peak, or in the desert. The hand helds we use are a full 5 watts. I mostly use an ICOM F3S which is the same radio the military used early on in Iraq and Afghanistan. For vehicle mounted radios I use an ICOM F121. It's 50 watts of power, and with a simple magnetic mount antenna the range is awesome. I've used them in FJ40's, H1 Hummers, Tacomas etc.

The F3S is 32 channels so I program in the 7 weather channels, the 5 MURS channels (more on these later) and any ham simplex frequencies or repeater frequencies. The F121 is 128 channels and I never fill that up. In some vehicles we've just used the handheld radio and with an adapter hooked it to the magnetic roof mounted antenna. That works great. The truth be told the antenna is probably more important then the transmit power.

The MURS (Multi-Use Radio Service) frequencies are perfect for our use. There are 5 frequencies:
151.820 MHz
151.880 MHz
151.940 MHz
154.570 MHz
154.600 MHz

I get great range and clarity, they're very cost effective.

There is also a UHF version, F4S that many people like. It has advantages and disadvantage like every thing. Generally speaking VHF will have a longer range in dense foliage, forests etc. UHF is great in buildings. Both are FM so limited by line of sight. UHF handhelds are 4 watts, the mobile version are 45 watts (I think). But UHF does have an advantage in that it can be programmed to the FRS/GMRS frequencies of the Motorola type blister pack radios. Keep in mind the blister pack FRS/GMRS radios can not have removable antennas and have very little power. This is to intentionally limit their range. The UHF LMR don't have this limitation (there are some legalities here you should be aware of similar to using Ham radios without a license).

We're had great luck with them, and find they are cheaper than their counterparts. One disadvantage is that they do have to be programmed through a PC or laptop. That hasn't been an issue with the number of channels available. Once we've programmed them we're usually good to go.

Has anyone here had much experience with them?
Thanks

Last edited:

August

Observer
Here in Canada, each land mobile radio has to be licensed and only programmed with the frequencies you are licensed for. They must be programmed by your radio dealer and front-end programmable radios are no longer permitted in the land mobile spectrum. Also, the frequencies must be type-approved for the radio. For example, you can not have ham frequencies on your land mobile radio unless you use you land mobile radio exclusively for ham radio use. I suspect our CRTC regulations are not that different from your FCC regulations.

Under our Federal Contraventions Act, any peace officer in Canada can enforce CRTC's Radio Communications Act and Regulations. Fines are $288 for individuals, $575 for companies and equipment may be seized.

A decent 50 watt mobile ham radio and antenna won't be that much different in terms of performance from a 50 watt land mobile radio and antenna. I'd recommend getting a ham license and radio rather then purchasing a land mobile radio and license which would be more costly for equipment and licensing.

Last edited:

Nevets10

Observer
I agree with you on getting the ham license. It's a great thing to do. But I know down here there some who have not gotten it. Our regulations down here are a little different than yours but people should check into them before hand. For us the MURS is a great alternative if you don't have a ham license.

I have both types of equipment. I find that amateur radio equipment has many bells and whistles that most people don't ever use, nor understand it.
LMR are simple and user friendly by design. I pay $50-125 for a used LMR with a broader frequency range than comparible ham equipment.

You're right, performance wise, there isn't any difference in a ham radio on 146 MHz versus a LMR on 151 MHz

Just another alternative. But they both have there place and use.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I've often thought that GMRS would be a better alternative for OHV use than ham. I mean ham can do everything that GMRS can, but the problem is that it can do a whole lot more, too. I think that can complicate the issue for people who just want to talk to each other reliably. Explaining all the different modes, frequencies, etc. is once in a while more than people on a run need or want to know. But if our club is any example, I think it's not an insurmountable problem. Mostly it's just making sure people remember to announce their call sign periodically, know to keep the power down and understand radio protocol (no swearing, leave time for others to break in, etc.). But on the other hand, APRS for example is one thing that makes ham more attractive for overland use, so I think it's good to have all the options. Mostly we just have to make sure to accommodate people who aren't interested in all the advanced stuff and don't scare them with lots of technical jargon or anything. I'm guilty of that as much anyone. When a few of the hams in the club ran a down and dirty Tech class to teach club members what you need to know for the license test I tended to go off on the deep end explaining whatever. No one (probably not even Advanced) cares why an antenna radiated from a EM standpoint, they just care that they do...

Nevets10

Observer
DaveInDenver said:
I've often thought that GMRS would be a better alternative for OHV use than ham. I mean ham can do everything that GMRS can, but the problem is that it can do a whole lot more, too. I think that can complicate the issue for people who just want to talk to each other reliably. Explaining all the different modes, frequencies, etc. is once in a while more than people on a run need or want to know..... No one (probably not even Advanced) cares why an antenna radiated from a EM standpoint, they just care that they do...

Dave,
I agree with you. I have my ham technician (and working on general) license but most people on our expeditions or in our clubs aren't interested. They just want a reliable radio, with great range and reception, and easy to use. The VHF land mobile radios are right next to the 2 meter ham radios on the frequency spectrum. But the LMR radios are simple to use; turn on, select a channel and talk. That's why people like them.

We also used the UHF version to be compatible with FRS/GMRS.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Nevets10 said:
But the LMR radios are simple to use; turn on, select a channel and talk. That's why people like them.
Yup, exactly. It's CB improved and that's good. The problem in my view is that while that would make sense if you were able to start with a fresh slate, but that's not the case. Regular 27MHz AM CB is the default standard and following that there are far more hams on the trail than GMRS, etc. And the whole point of communications is to have someone to talk to on the other end and so having an amateur band radio that is only set up for 2m simplex and maybe few repeaters is going to be a much better bet to hear someone else than any GMRS or land mobile radio, particularly if you encounter other groups on the trail that you need or want to talk to. Pretty much everyone has a CB and after that if they have a second radio, it's most likely at least a 2m ham.

Nevets10

Observer
I once had an ICOM 706 installed in a vehicle and it could do it all - CB, VHF, UHF, HF etc. But expensive and a bit complicated. It required 2 antennas and an antenna tuner.

Tennmogger

Explorer
Hi Nevits, (where in GA?)

I agree that the non-licensed (or no test required license) services are just as good for comms as ham radio, and easier to use for untrained people. Problem is, IMHO, there are so many different types of non-ham comm (CB, FRS, GMRS, MURS, etc) that getting everyone on the same service becomes the problem. I think the discussion goal here might be more about which service would be best for everyone to move toward, and my vote is for Ham Radio. There are few limits to the modes and capabilities of ham radio.

FYI there are many HF antennas available that don't need a tuner. I keep a 20m Hustler available and pre-tuned to get on HF when needed with my FT-857D.

Bob (south of Knoxville)

Nevets10

Observer
Tennmogger said:
Hi Nevits, (where in GA?)

FYI there are many HF antennas available that don't need a tuner. I keep a 20m Hustler available and pre-tuned to get on HF when needed with my FT-857D.

Bob (south of Knoxville)

Yes, you are correct about the 20m antenna, but then it's only good on 20 meters, not any of the other HF bands

I'm in the Atlanta metro area.

I like ham (obviously, I have a license) I just find the Land Mobile Radios a good alternative and they can be programmed to ham freqs and repeaters as well. They're easy for anyone to use and usually cheaper. I've also found them to be more durable.

One of my personal favorite radios is the ICOM dual-band, dual-receive IC-W32A. It's a great radios with all sorts fo features, but I don't think it's as durable as the F3S or F4S models.

Tennmogger

Explorer
I should have said I also have Hustler resonators for all the HF bands, including 80m. I do have to stop to change bands, but no problem, I'm on 20 all the time anyway. While mobile these days, every band above 20m is dead anyway, LOL. And of course there's little activity on 80m and 40m during the day. At night, even the 80m Hustler works adequately (considering it's a really short compromise antenna). Oh, if in camp at night I hook up a 50-ish ft length of wire to the mount (and a tuner) and get on HF in NVIS mode. I also carry around a G5RV for 80 and up, for long term camp.

(tuner is LDG Z-11 Pro for use with the G5RV)

Bob

Radio mount pic attached

Attachments

• 857 and table 1.JPG
    857 and table 1.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 57

gary in ohio

Explorer
Nevets10 said:
I'm currently a private military contractor teaching critical off-road driving skills to the military for their new uparmor HMMWVs (M1151).

If your going to use the radio for communications related to your business/job then ham radio is off the table.

GMRS is also not practical since every person using the GMRS radio would need a license.

CB may work depending on your range requirements.

MURS is a lower cost option and should give you enough channels to find a clear channel. Problem with MURS is they are usually limited to handhelds for any new radio's but if you find an older LMR radio on VHF that can be turned down to two watts then you can go with a mobile radio.

The only other option is using a land mobile radios and those will need to be licensed. Band VHF or UHF will be determined by the frequency coordinator in your area, some busy cities have few VHF frequencies free. In most cases your only going to get 1 channel assigned to you. Since you have some military ties you might check with the communications officers and see if they have any allocated but unused frequencies you could use when running the test.

gary in ohio

Explorer
Nevets10 said:
I once had an ICOM 706 installed in a vehicle and it could do it all - CB, VHF, UHF, HF etc. But expensive and a bit complicated. It required 2 antennas and an antenna tuner.

Not legally you didnt!

Nevets10

Observer
I'm not tyring to get in a debate on the legalities of the FCC. But it was completely legal to have it installed and used on all ham frequencies that I was licensed to use. I could also monitor CB frequencies, and use those in case of a life-threatening emergency.

Last edited:

gary in ohio

Explorer
nwoods said:
What do the off road racing guys use? I think they use the MURS stuff, right? Actually, I just checked the local Big Dog in race radios around here that the SCORE Baja guys use, mostly Icom F121 it seems.

http://www.pciraceradios.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=Radios

If they are using F121's then they are not using MURS, at least not legally. MURS is limited to 2 watts and ANY radio manufactured for MURS after Nov 2002 must be certified for MURS only radio. The 121 is a 50watt Land mobile radio.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan