Land Mobile Radios as an alternative to ham

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
U.S. Off Road racers use 2 meter Business band. PCI has a couple freqs leased over a very large area, with coverage (licenses?, what ever) for a huge number of mobile radios.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
gary in ohio said:
If your going to use the radio for communications related to your business/job then ham radio is off the table.

//snip//

CB may work depending on your range requirements.

Just to pick a nit, it's illegal to use CB for commercial purposes, as well.

EDIT: Turns out I may be mistaken about that...

Last edited:

gary in ohio

Explorer
ntsqd said:
U.S. Off Road racers use 2 meter Business band. PCI has a couple freqs leased over a very large area, with coverage (licenses?, what ever) for a huge number of mobile radios.
There is no such thing a 2 meter business band. There is the 2m amateur band and there is VHF business band.

gary in ohio

Explorer
Lynn said:
Just to pick a nit, it's illegal to use CB for commercial purposes, as well.

EDIT: Turns out I may be mistaken about that...

CB was originally created for a low cost, low volume business need and while it would be a poor choice in most areas to use CB for business needs it would be legal.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
gary in ohio said:
There is no such thing a 2 meter business band. There is the 2m amateur band and there is VHF business band.
That's really odd then, because the freqs are just above the 2M ham band. That to me indicates that they are roughly 2M freqs and I know that they are used by business'. So you can argue naming conventions all you want, but that is what they are and how they are used.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
gary in ohio said:
CB was originally created for a low cost, low volume

Also realize CB was originally UHF (Class A & B), but included Class D down in 11 metre stolen from Amateur? I thought it was primarily after the concession of the UHF freq's did that become primarily for business use?

chrismc

Adventurer
Is it just me, or are half the posts in this thread advocating illegal activity?
  • You may ONLY operate on amateur radio frequencies if you are an FCC Part 97 (Amateur Radio Service) license holder.
  • You may only use LMR (VHF or UHF) frequencies if you have a geographically-specific license (not free unless you are a public service agency) to operate on the specific frequencies you use. The license typically certifies one or more frequencies within an x-mile radius of a specific geographic point (Lat/Lon). You are licensed for a specific number of devices, and they must be specified as a base station, mobile, etc. Most of what is being referred to as "Land Mobile Radio" falls within FCC Part 90. The restrictions and licensing requirements are numerous.
  • It is illegal to modify Part 97 (ham radio) equipment to operate on non-Part-97 frequencies (ie. use your ham radio for CB, commercial VHF/UHF, or even FRS/GMRS).
  • It *is* legal to modify commercial radio equipment to operate on Part 97 frequencies, but you may only use those frequencies of you are a Part 97 license holder.
  • The only equipment that does not require a license to use are those devices certified under FCC Part 15. The long-range capability of that equipment is minimal. Wikipedia has some info about Part 15.
If I am wrong, please feel free to correct me, but please provide proof in FCC statutes. More information about Part97 can be found on ARRL's web site. I'd hate to see a reputable site like ExPo advocating illegal activity.

While there may be some legitimate discussion about using licensed LMR equipment for overlanding, I personally don't believe that it would be very useful due to the geographic limitations of the license. It would not be cost effective to purchase licenses for all areas you plan to travel in. The amateur radio license, with its geographically-flexible terms, is a far better fit.

-Chris (K0RSQ)

Last edited:

gary in ohio

Explorer
ntsqd said:
That's really odd then, because the freqs are just above the 2M ham band. That to me indicates that they are roughly 2M freqs and I know that they are used by business'. So you can argue naming conventions all you want, but that is what they are and how they are used.

True both are in the VHF band, but from a naming convention standing point 2m (2 meters) is used to indicate a VHF ham band and not LMR. In radio circles, VHF hi would be the proper designator for the VHF LMR.

gary in ohio

Explorer
chrismc said:
Is it just me, or are half the posts in this thread advocating illegal activity?

• While there may be some legitimate discussion about using licensed LMR equipment for overlanding, I personally don't believe that it would be very useful due to the geographic limitations of the license. It would not be cost effective to purchase licenses for all areas you plan to travel in. The amateur radio license, with its geographically-flexible terms, is a far better fit.

-Chris (K0RSQ)

• While LMR often has geographic limits, There are a number of Itinerant Frequencies that could be used without geographic limits. Here are some
    of the frequncies, not all apply but a good start.
    http://www.bcar.us/Frequency Reference.htm

Depending on your radio needs, ham radio might work, but if your a overlanding tour company (in the us) you could not use ham radio, If you and your buddies want to get together and overland then ham radio is a good option if everyone gets a license.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
Legalities aside Ham has one huge advantage over any other radio option. Infrastructure. There are hundreds of open repeaters all over the world. I can contact friends driving up from the bay area while I'm still on the eastern slope of the Sierra. Last year a CM08 people were chatting with friends in Moab from the Maze.

There is also a pretty good chance that with my 2M radio I will be able to talk to anybody that joins us for a trip. Because of forums like this my off roading family has expanded way beyond the local club I belong to. And the radio of choice seems to be 2M ham.

Nevets10

Observer
I use my ICOM F121 (VHF) or F221 (UHF) on ham bands which is completely legal. It has 128 channels I think and a freq range from 136-174 MHz.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior