Land Rover Carawagon: AK --> Mex

aka rover

Adventurer
Josh

Nice to here you are making a go of it, ill keep tabs on your progress and if you need anything let me know and and ill help if i can. Hows the rover running must be ok as you have made one of the hardest parts of the journey :smiley_drive: we hope :sombrero:.

have fun and enjoy every turn as adventure is not the destination but the trek ahead.

Cheers Ed

Josh

Adventurer
Nice to "see" you here, Ed. The Rover is running quite well. I'm really happy with it actually. You remember how I ran the fuel return to that front tank-- It's returning so much fuel I have to watch that it doesn't fill, and overflow, that tank when I'm running off the rear!! Can you believe that it's returning at that rate!!? And at least part of that used to be constantly flooding the carb? Thanks again for your help!

We're staying with friends south of SLC tonight. We got to see the Bonneville Speedway today... didn't enter the LR in any land speed record attempts. Too bad it's too cold to camp comfortably (though we've been doing it anyway) as there are a lot of neat things to see and do in Utah!

Kind regards, Josh

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
You are probably already on your way, but if Friday night (1/21/11) in the San Rafael Swell sounds like something you'd like to see, I would love to take you down through the Buck Horn Wash to the Swinging Bridge and onto I-70. Let me know if you are in the area and interested. I live in Price right on the Northern edge of the Swell, and gathering my gear is not a problem. The M416 and I are always ready to go. If you just want a warm place to spend the night, my house is also available, and we'd feed you well.

Last edited:

Josh

Adventurer
You are probably already on your way, but if Friday night (1/21/11) in the San Rafael Swell sounds like something you'd like to see, I would love to take you down through the Buck Horn Wash to the Swinging Bridge and onto I-70. Let me know if you are in the area and interested. I live in Price right on the Northern edge of the Swell, and gathering my gear is not a problem. The M416 and I are always ready to go. If you just want a warm place to spend the night, my house is also available, and we'd feed you well.

Interesting. We are still in SLC. What kind of time would it take to see this area? We might think about it for the way back.. we're anxious to make it to warmer areas right now.. but we will probably need to come home this way so...
Thanks for thinking of us!
Josh

MiniGene

Great website and write-ups, Josh! Your pictures of home make me homesick a little bit. I grew up in the Matanuska Valley. It has been a long time since I've been up there. I hope to make the drive and see the folks someday.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Interesting. We are still in SLC. What kind of time would it take to see this area? We might think about it for the way back.. we're anxious to make it to warmer areas right now.. but we will probably need to come home this way so...
Thanks for thinking of us!
Josh

It depends on how much you would like to see, but on a Friday and Saturday you could see enough to get a great feel for the area. It would make you want to plan it in on a return trip to the lower 48.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Keep us posted of your progress, this is an awsome trip. Thanks for the link to the blog and the great pictures

Josh

Adventurer
Trying to get some updates to the travel blog published now.. on an excruciatingly slow connection. We're in Alamos and, when we're done with the internet we hope to drive on to El Fuerte for tonight! All's well!!

silvElise

Adventurer
Trying to get some updates to the travel blog published now.. on an excruciatingly slow connection. We're in Alamos and, when we're done with the internet we hope to drive on to El Fuerte for tonight! All's well!!

Nice Update and pictures :)

My Mom lives in that area... Always go visit the white dove of the desert when I visit nice mission.

Josh

Adventurer
Yesterday was what it's all about! We left Alamos by back road.. that means dusty cow trail.. We encountered a few little adobe pueblos that probably haven't seen a white face in ...??? The stooped over little indian women were friendly but not too good with directions since they may have never ventured further from their home than necessary to gather firewood. Often the "road" was reduced to barely wide enough to drive down and with no sign of vehicle traffic.. then it might open up later and even show signs of being somewhat maintained (in a loose, Mexican, sense). We saw four Road Runners and various other unidentified, but fascinating birds. Caballeros.. the real deal with chaps! We even had an unexplained break down. After reversing to look at some weird birds the Land Rover inexplicably quit and refused to start! I can't think of a worse place in the world for this to happen but kept my cool.. A few steps into trouble shooting it started up..?? Who knows.
We arrived in El Fuertes and I guess weren't persistent enough in finding out what's good about it.. so, being only 2-3 hours from a beach and hot showers we moved out. In Las Glorias now. Hopefully a new blog post later...

lstrvr

Awesome blog you guys! Good job Josh on getting that truck repaired! Very inspiring read of a crappy situation and your ability to get the job done! Well done!

Josh

Adventurer
Thanks, Lstrvr.
After a discouraging setback we're getting ready to press forward again.
For all three of you who are following along and wondering where we went we finally updated last night with two new posts.. the second one down explaining the trouble-
http://alaskanrambler.wordpress.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan