Land Rover Coil Spring & Shocks Database - '90s Discovery, Defender, Range Rover

Outono

One of the things I was most surprised by when I got into Land Rovers was just how hard it was to find good information. Compared to what you can find on IH8MUD for Land Cruisers, the LR community feels fragmented across tons of forums, with some of the best posts seemingly lost to time. So when I began researching suspension for my 98 Disco, I quickly became frustrated at the complete lack of info and metrics comparing one vendor to another. Surely someone was a big enough fanatic to document these sort of things...

It turns out, @Red90 was that person. His work ended a few years back, but having gone through my own process of documentation, I began adding to his already awesome coil spring database.

So why would you use this? For most people, it won't matter. There are only a handful of vendors still selling suspension for old Rovers in the USA so you'll have to be pretty invested to go through the effort of importing from Australia, S. Africa, or the UK. But in my opinion, if you want the best for your truck, its worth making the effort to learn a bit about what you're putting on it.

Land Rover Coil Spring Database

Land Rover Shocks Database

I'm posting this with the hope that it doesn't get lost to time like so many other things in this community. If any of you have information you'd like to add (or correct), send it along!

Last edited:

JackW

Explorer
After many years of trying different shocks on many different Land Rover vehicles I can't recommend the Koni Raid shocks I've got on my Defender 90 highly enough - absolutely the best shocks I've had on any of my twenty Land Rovers.
The spring chart is very interesting - thanks for posting that.

Outono

After many years of trying different shocks on many different Land Rover vehicles I can't recommend the Koni Raid shocks I've got on my Defender 90 highly enough - absolutely the best shocks I've had on any of my twenty Land Rovers.
The spring chart is very interesting - thanks for posting that.

I'm also running Koni RAIDs and love them! Paired them with King taper wired springs and have found that to be the ultimate combo for touring. What springs are you running?

JackW

Explorer
Factory HD springs for D90. They give about 3/4" lift over stock springs. It's sitting down at the back by about 1/2". I've got a roof rack, awning, roof tent and fridge so I might need a little more spring at the back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78