Land Rover Discovery 1 or 2, or Range Rover Classic 1 or 2

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
Like they say, be careful what you wish for, in this case varied opinions. I went to sleep last night after having read dcwhybrew's post on my phone, thinking of my mechanic and Series1Rangies's post about extended warranties.

Having the opinion of somebody who has owned a couple brings a lot of first hand experience to the table as opposed to "I read they have issues." However, the need for extended warranty had me thinking a bit. I do not buy cars with the plan of selling in a couple of years, otherwise I would lease. As far as the LR salesman told me I can get another year of warranty but I am not sure if any is available after that. Well, what then? I can understand having piece of mind that the warranty will cover a lot of repairs, but if the same things keep breaking then I will after. Are there other third party companies people in this forum have used in the US?

Then there is Snagger's opinion who comes from a place where LRs are more common than here — his friend saw a lot more at the shop — and shares my concern about warranty. Some of the issues will not apply as there are no TD engines or manual transmissions offered for the LR3 in the US, but I believe they did not come with the basic suspension in the US. Like I said before, I am looking into both an 05 and 06, though I tested an 07. The salesman stated as we sat on it something along the lines of "this one is a later model when a lot of issues/kinks have been ironed out." Were there improvements from 05 to 06? The 05 I saw has ~56k on the clock, while the 06 has 66K (price is 1.5k less for the 05).

Today I will go talk to the mechanic in person and hear him out in detail... Decisions, decisions, decisions...

For what ever reason, I think Snagger is just angry towards the D3/LR3. His comments just aren't consistent with LR3/D3 owners, who have also owned other earlier model rovers. If you want to do more research on the LR3, go to www.disco3.co.uk Ask them what they think. The participants are primarily European too.

Regarding the extended warranty...I had extended warranties on 3 of the 7 I have owned. I wished I had it on my first LR (96 D1). Never the less I have one on my 06, but didnt buy one for the 05 LR3. Honestly, I didnt need it for the 05, but I have used it on my 06 because I had to replace a rear diff that went bad. That is the only major repair I have had.

Buy the LR3 and flip a coin on the extended warranty. If you buy an older model LR, definitely buy an extended warranty. It will save your *** (read the fine print - aka exclusions - carefully). It is best to buy the extended warranty when you buy the car. Otherwise they may make you wait so many miles before filing a claiim or they may want you to pay for an indepth inspection (which you should probably do anyway).

I have a CARS extended warranty on my 06. They have worked well thus far. I had a toyota based product for an 02 DII and they were fantastic (i cant remember the name). I had warranties for wheels on my 00 DII and they were a pain in the ***, but they did pay for themselves. So if you're wishy washy about the extended warranty, then do it to be safe.

Navman

Adventurer
I sat on the Tacoma for 1 minute and I wanted out, and I test drove a used 4Runner and did not like it at all. Thanks.

I fell the exact same way about Toyotas. I really try to like them but I just don't feel right in them.

Well, you have the Rover bug...that is great! I'm being sincere. You wont regret (notice I didnt say you wont get mad) owning one! However, regarding your mechanics opinion of the LR3; personally I think he's an idiot. He doesnt know what he is talking about. He mentioned a tire alignment issue and one suspension issue. The tire alignment issue have been addressed and fixed. Frankly I have owned an 05 and an 06 and have never experienced the tire wear issues that have been alleged. I have almost 20k miles on a set of General Grabber AT2s on my 06 and my ex wife has probably 30-35k miles on her General Grabber AT2s. They wear great, and we havent had any abnormal wear problems, or alignment problems. Period!

If you can afford it, I'd by the LR3 over the DII hands down any day of the week, without thinking twice! Serously. He's on idiot, based on the information you've shared.

I completely agree with everything said. The OEM tires are the absolute worst tire in history. Once you replace those you are fine. I have 20k on my Hankooks and no noticible wear and no alignment issues.

My opinion clashes with the American D3 owners on here, but living in the UK, seeing so many LR vehicles around, and having several LR mechanic friends, I have a pretty good and objective view on LR reliability. Not being a D3 owner, I am unbiased, do not have rose tinted specs and don't have to hide any mistake.

DO NOT get a LR3 - the mechanic is completely right .

I completely disagree with this. I know a lot of LR3-4 owners and don't know any that regret their decision, and most dumped thier D1-IIs after getting one. I also think Snagger is biased because he doesn't own an LR3 so he doesn't have the personal experience with one. I owned a D1 for almost 10 years - talk about electronic issues. Sure the LR3 is only 3 years old but the quality and driving experience are so much better (the solid front axle rock crawling grumps will disagree with that last part :)). I just haven't seen any of those "mistakes" yet.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the DI and DIIs and would say go for it if that's within you budget. But you WILL spend more on maintenance than you will with a LR3.

I do not buy cars with the plan of selling in a couple of years, otherwise I would lease. As far as the LR salesman told me I can get another year of warranty but I am not sure if any is available after that. Well, what then? I can understand having piece of mind that the warranty will cover a lot of repairs, but if the same things keep breaking then I will after. Are there other third party companies people in this forum have used in the US?

This is THE most important part of the discussion. Sure, you can get an extended warranty, but what happens after that? If you're selling on then... who cares? If you're keeping it, it's a much bigger issue.

The electronics and mechanical complexity of the truck would appear to be significant hindrance to long-term servicability. However, "they" said the same thing about the D2, and as we know now, that is anything but the truth. People are afraid of what they don't know. The LR3's are still somewhat unknown on this side of the pond as they've only been out of warranty for a short time, and the prevailance of owners who even do their own service here is much lower than in the UK.

Interesting read, I recently purchased a Disco I after shopping Toyotas and formerly owning an FJ80 Land Cruiser. My thoughts:

Your mechanic is trying to sell you something. Don't buy it, and frankly I'd find a new mechanic. His advice is very obviously jaded by what he has to sell, that doesn't show much integrity.

I'm 6'1" and about 230, I have a ton of leg and head room in my Disco I. However the comments about the short windshield are true, I have to duck my head to see stoplights if I'm first in line. As others have said, the stepped roofline and big windows in the Disco make it feel huge and airy inside.

Drive them. All of them. I spent months looking at 4Runners, FZJ80 and UZJ100 Land Cruisers, and Tacomas. All of fantastic vehicles, but none of them really got me excited. I've been eyeing the Disco for years, when I test drove one locally I knew it was the right car for me. You'll have more issues with the Rover than a Toyota, that is something I doubt many would dispute. But you'll also pay 1/2 the purchase price and end up with a vehicle that has a LOT more character. I loved my FJ80, but my biggest complaint is that it was a bit boring. I paid 1/2 the price of a decent FZJ80 for my mint condition well maintained 105k Disco.

Simplicity is a virtue. My opinion here, but remember that the less features a car has, the less that can go wrong. You'll notice that many of the issues listed here are fancy goodies like ACE, air suspension, traction control, etc. One of the reasons that I favored the Disco I is the simplicity, there's far less to go wrong. I won't argue that the Disco II has a lot of improvements over mine, but I enjoy the fact that it's a basic, honest truck.

The thing about the D2 is, most of the improvements that are prone to failure, leave you no worse off than you would be in a perfectly functioning D1. 3 Amigos problem? Well, most people unplug the fuse on the D1 ABS because it's so bad anyway. Sure, the front driveshaft can fail, but then the axle shafts are stronger. And on and on. And there are plenty of D2's available without ACE and air suspension, there's no reason to buy one if you don't want it. The D2 is also pretty honest and basic. It probably has more in common with a D1 than it has differences.

The newer trucks are a whole other kettle of fish. I wouldn't take one around the world. Not because I know it's a problem. But because I don't know yet if they're good enough. I'll let others figure that out first.

LtFuzz

Explorer
I'm 6'2 190lbs and the D2 definitely feels more cramped than a D1. Dunno if it's the different seats or subtle changes in the cabin but my '95 is way more comfortable than my '04.

I don't regret the '04 because it's a great daily driver and significantly more refined but I'm definitely a D1 man.

I don't know how else to describe it except that the D2 feels... fat. Tubby. Lardy. Fat. The seats are fat. The dash is fat. The steering wheel is fat. The body is fat. Everything needs to drop a few pounds.

The 4.6, however, is not fat, but, uh, "phat". Waaaay better engine. The 4.0 I had in my '96, going up the CO mountains... what a joke.

If you think the 4.0 is slow, go drive an FJ80 with the 3FE. Mine was dead reliable, but with 33" tires it required full throttle to maintain 70 MPH if there was a headwind.

Douglas S.

Adventurer
I think I win (or my dad does...it's his RRC) in the "most expensive repair bill" category. TVR engines can't be rebuilt on the cheap.

I will say that the head room hasn't been an issue and I'm about 6' tall.

Snagger

Explorer
Guys, I have no anger or hatred towards the D3/4 or RRS, nor to those who own them, and suggesting that I have venom for them because of some sort of jealousy is as infantile as it is wrong. They have done a good job for improving LR's finances and image, so the worst I can be accused of is ambivalence. I am just very aware of how often I see the same ones going in and out of the workshops at the local dealerships and have heard the same comments from everyone I know who works on them. Like I said, they are extraordinarily capable vehicles and have a high degree of driving refinement too, but there are several expensive issues which are recurring issues at the workshops which will prevent them from being long-term investments; they are not a good vehicle to own outside of the warranty period because key systems start failing at high mileages and are a nightmare to put right. If you can afford a relatively new one, then go for it, but I wouldn't have one without an extensive warranty.

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
~$10k, built to a much higher spec than factory in terms of both reliability and performance.

Spent that much on one repair job, or since ownership? I'm not sure I understand what you are saying regarding spending $10k on repairs? What makes the 5.0L engine more reliable? It's the same engine as the 3.5, 3.9, 4.0, 4.2, 4.6, right?

I think ECR was selling a 5.2 "interceptor" engine. I wonder how the TVR 5.0 and the ECR 5.2 differ (other than the obvious)?

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/RoverV8.html

Douglas S.

Adventurer
Spent that much on one repair job, or since ownership? I'm not sure I understand what you are saying regarding spending $10k on repairs? What makes the 5.0L engine more reliable? It's the same engine as the 3.5, 3.9, 4.0, 4.2, 4.6, right?

I think ECR was selling a 5.2 "interceptor" engine. I wonder how the TVR 5.0 and the ECR 5.2 differ (other than the obvious)?

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/RoverV8.html

$10k to rebuild the 5.0 that came in the truck from the factory. The block cracked and two of the pistons had holes in them.

New block, top hat sleeved, new heads, new cams, new pistons. Pretty much the only thing left from the original engine is the crank.

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
$10k to rebuild the 5.0 that came in the truck from the factory. The block cracked and two of the pistons had holes in them.

New block, top hat sleeved, new heads, new cams, new pistons. Pretty much the only thing left from the original engine is the crank.

Wow, sorry you had to go through that experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12