Land Rover discovery

Colin Hughes

Explorer
Lots of room in a D1. Not mine but always loved this photo. Actually responded to a post on Kijiji this morning for a 97 D1 going cheap. Do I need it, no but between the used parts in my friends shop and my basement, there's likely enough parts to build one :) If the OP likes the D2, it's his choice and money. But if the head gaskets haven't been done, at that mileage, budget for it shortly.
DALTONHWY0081.jpg

XJLI

Adventurer
I understood those. The watts linkage and cdl in the transfer case. Not sure about those. Can't tell if you're being sarcastic about enjoying it or not. Do the heads crack around 100k? The D1s that I have looked at had no luxury at all. Just the basics.

Watts link is used instead of a panhard rod
CDL = center diff lock

You're looking at the wrong D1s then. SE and LSE models are pretty loaded. And the 4.6s go through head gaskets faster than other Rover V8s, and tend to crack the heads as well.

Redman333

Adventurer
Watts link is used instead of a panhard rod
CDL = center diff lock

You're looking at the wrong D1s then. SE and LSE models are pretty loaded. And the 4.6s go through head gaskets faster than other Rover V8s, and tend to crack the heads as well.

Not familiar with watts link or panhard rod. I'll have to look that up. The 04 I am looking at has the CDL though. From my understanding I can install the linkage on the 2000 and early 2001s. So I've been looking at just these model years. Avoiding the 03 ones. I have a friend that's a Land Rover tech helping me as well.

psykokid

Explorer
Not familiar with watts link or panhard rod. I'll have to look that up. The 04 I am looking at has the CDL though. From my understanding I can install the linkage on the 2000 and early 2001s. So I've been looking at just these model years. Avoiding the 03 ones. I have a friend that's a Land Rover tech helping me as well.

Panhard bar is up front. Still there on the D2.

Watts Linkage/A-frame is what Rover used on the D2/D1 respectively to keep the rear axle centered under the truck.

D2 Watts Linkage:
watts1.JPG

A-Frame Used On all earlier coil sprung rovers:
5141_aframe_1.jpg

Panhard bar is in the front and keeps the axle centered under the front of the truck. Here's a pic of one on a D2. Its the bar that is closest to the axle housing that has the kink in it at the far end:
frontunder.JPG

Redman333

Adventurer
Panhard bar is up front. Still there on the D2.

Watts Linkage/A-frame is what Rover used on the D2/D1 respectively to keep the rear axle centered under the truck.

D2 Watts Linkage:
watts1.JPG

A-Frame Used On all earlier coil sprung rovers:
5141_aframe_1.jpg

Panhard bar is in the front and keeps the axle centered under the front of the truck. Here's a pic of one on a D2. Its the bar that is closest to the axle housing that has the kink in it at the far end:
frontunder.JPG

Ok thanks yeah that makes sense to me I am just thinking of a different name to them. The panhard bar for me is a track bar. The a frame would just be a 3 link but I have heard a frame also.

psykokid

Explorer
Ok thanks yeah that makes sense to me I am just thinking of a different name to them. The panhard bar for me is a track bar. The a frame would just be a 3 link but I have heard a frame also.

Track rod is the bar that connects the hubs together and keeps your toe even and keeps your wheels pointing in the same direction. On a rover it's behind the axle. The bar from the steering box to the hub is the drag link.

when you bend the hell out it like this:

IMG_20150308_222312263.jpg

Makes steering fun..

Looking under the front of my truck with new track rod, drag link and adjustable panhard bar:

IMG_20150311_114903218_HDR.jpg

vasily

Adventurer
Just remember that although you're buying a 5k truck, it used to be a 40k truck. Parts and labor generally reflect this.

Redman333

Adventurer
Just remember that although you're buying a 5k truck, it used to be a 40k truck. Parts and labor generally reflect this.

Well one thing that's good is a friend is a tech so he will always give me advice and if need be a discounted rate if I can't do it on my own. There's also usually a few of these trucks in my local pick and pull so parts availability for most isn't too bad. If I have to I'll buy new.

Redman333

Adventurer
Track rod is the bar that connects the hubs together and keeps your toe even and keeps your wheels pointing in the same direction. On a rover it's behind the axle. The bar from the steering box to the hub is the drag link.

when you bend the hell out it like this:

IMG_20150308_222312263.jpg

Makes steering fun..

Looking under the front of my truck with new track rod, drag link and adjustable panhard bar:

IMG_20150311_114903218_HDR.jpg

Thanks for the pics. I understand now.

Jwestpro

Explorer

I really hate it when people keep "quoting" long posts of pictures, don't they know how to delete the images....????

(Hang on, I'm confused on that photo. It's got ball swivels, so D1, where's the A-frame? Oh, is it tucked up higher above the drive shaft, must be, wouldn't fit below.)

I have a 96 and recall when the A frame was clunking in it's mount. Not sure what mileage that was though, maybe 200ish. So the A design for the rear is what helps a D1 give more articulation off road right? But obviously less tight handling on-road. This is part of why a D2 feels like a sports car compared to the D1 ;) Well, even more so when the D1 had Billstein but with 100,000 miles on them and the D2 had new OME 2" kit springs and dampers.

For this thread, the D2 has the following that one might consider "luxury" items not found in the D1:

1-heated windscreen if fitted with ordered option "cold weather package" (includes heated seats, much more common on 2004 builds than earlier. Both items can actually be fitted after the fact. Get this, I'm pretty sure the seat heating element is in there and all you have to do is buy the switch plate for the center console!)
2-rear proximity (parking) sensors
3-dual sun roofs (frequent on D2 but I think were probably also available on D1, just not as common)
4-The seats are definitely a bit more formed and feel more supportive to me.
5-the armrest is nice sometimes
6-power seat: seat base fore-aft, seat base tilt angle and not just raising the rear like my stupid LR3 passenger seat, but front and rear edge raise lower, i.e. tilt/angle of seat bottom, lumbar in-out but not up-down.
7-there are more 12v sockets in the D2, one in the cargo area.
8-cargo area has pretty darn useful storage bins with top lids.
9-front bumper has fog lamps on those optioned with the lighting package probably, or "premium" or something like that.
9b-headlights are definitely better in the D2 but there may be upgrade choices for the D1 ?
9c-rear bumper in D2 has bigger lamp lenses, same for C pillar lamps, the lighting in general is better and more visible on the D2
10-rear load leveling air suspension .... works cool when it works I hear but more likely to give trouble than just work fine. Mine does not have it but has all of the above options.
11-some sweet color palates. Mine is Vienna Green (I think, light metallic sage) with Aspen interior which I think it THE coolest Land Rover interior color scheme of all time. Looks especially awesome in a Range Rover in 2003 era when they still had the BMW engine.

I may have gotten carried away as all of the above may not be "lux" items, but they are differences. On the rear bumper, I like how the D2 is flatter overall and deeper. It allows more function for dealing with things coming out of back like hiking or mtn biking items, it's like a mini tail gate.

Oh, I think with the 2" lift via medium duty springs on either vehicle, the D2 may fit slightly larger tires more easily due to how the fenders are shaped? I don't know for sure, my D2 has 265/75x16 which of course rub at the front radius arms on full lock, but the D1 did the same with 245/70x16. Makes me wonder if the track was widened at all on D2?

Anyway, at some point my D1 had the seat get saggy, so a fairly cheap part replacement and it felt new again. I added sheepskin seat covers at some point and those seats are actually quite good considering it's almost 30 years old and has 230,000 miles.

All 2004 came with CDL. Any D2 without it can have it added fairly simply. Rovers North and AB have kits. Same for seat heating in D2 without cold package.

Even though you're in NC, the heated windscreen is such a convenient thing in winter. I've been through 4 on my lr3 which is at just 100,000 miles but for some reason the D2 has never been cracked and has about 80,000 miles.

Last edited:

Jwestpro

Explorer
My biggest concern with a $5000 D2 is what's it going to cost in the first year as you deal with all the things that got neglected or put off? No way would I sell you mine for $5000.

Redman333

Adventurer
Jwest just curious which is lazier, not wanting to scroll past the pics again or not deleting them. On my end I honestly never really even thought about it bothering anyone mainly because it doesn't faze me to scroll past the already posted pics.

Anyway thanks for all the detailed comparisons. I went to look at one last night that I thought would be a good project. Was told it only had good damage and bumper. It was an 04 with 119k on it. He only wanted $3200 for it. It needed a lot more work the. I will be going to look at a 2000 with 123k miles and had been dealer services it's whole life and has a new engine as of 10k miles ago. He wants $5k for it. It's a olive metallic sort of color. If I don't like that one I have 2 other 04s lined up.

series 1

My list of features the Disco II has that the Disco I does not:

1. Three amigos
2. Semi-floating axles
3. Sometimes no CDL
4. Wheel bolt pattern that does not match with a series, defender, classic, or disco I.
5. Speaking of... 18" wheels bling bling
6. ACE
7. SLS
8. Slipped liners

But that is just my 2 cents. Buy what YOU like. Not any one else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger