Land Rover ideas for Jeeps

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
Great topic...!!!...

When I redesigned the XV-JP I was inspired with the Land Rover Defender roof lines and the functionality of the body mount add-ons...

ACtC-3fuO9se35KWaIO7oxVL6CC5TNdhiM5mqSVLfslv93uPpioti4qJZp49TQPaU0LJFO07ah_2Ql-g3gGEritn--skneLGnGjNp-5yaccb0b8na7OlLAYd-ga76Sow6qWQMELd2NgWr2ROsJ2AnPBj8jLvlA=w880-h617-no

ACtC-3fb8cdG3C2VATiDlMACC18EgsbQZxQA-ZpR80mAbbYdYDQHSZYd_8HYXRziW2VTWm6sPj39QJHPhj0EfwOHaGFRMhZAVW1toMWPiEX9xYiqewGStuLJAKlVjhgByqLdFzV7cwSQg51T-QBw6DESm0XyAw=w916-h617-no

ACtC-3d9m4hQMffzNd6aKOCkcSrkCG1rAXoyC8sFN0gHwcB5dzLXsIqdi66iQ_dG66ioM_v9mEzUAW4nJknWMZb7UIiOuana39E1t764fzy346NKuZXo13knwHMYnGdoUUMJRlL0yyb9G8xG9kAcnpc564thYg=w863-h617-no

ACtC-3duNRZNz6iyjzEFoJTbS_LgVkNc9b1UrCCUFMxIbdzkMkG9Htcbn3IGR1jsIDRS3NEGUscR5fkGAIeERkMazE0xsdYNTc0FLXHON3PbRJ8etbIkM8c_BTdluDaYSFlYBzZmbQfNmLzybJUbbPlJwFtZKg=w482-h617-no
Tell us more!

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
When I took possession of it, there was no roof... Previously it had a Westfalia style lift up... But I didn't like the loose fabric and the fact, I really don't need to stand up, full height, and walk around... With those things in mind, adding light through the high side windows made sense... Having the added interior height really added the feeling of spaciousness... The fixed height, lifted roof also allows for the nose cone to either have a lot more storage for light stuff, or with the pull out (300# drawer slide) extended, another place to sleep... The roof angle is designed for better south facing solar exposure and streamlines the front profile a lot... No wind noise and the handling is predictable and steady, given the overall height...

The mounts for add-ons on the outside started with the spare wheel going on the driver side wall... The Hi_Lift jack is directly forward of that, along with the shovel and sometimes an axe... Behind the spare are a pair of tracks for mounting O-Ring fasteners... Typically the zip on screen room for the passenger side awning hangs there in a big green drybag... The rear door has a nice Aluma-Box that holds some recovery gear, maybe a Zodi Shower or other small things... The fireman steps get you to the roof where there is about an 8" ledge/porch overhand that doubles as rain cover and a place to stand while doing things with the roof rack... The Passenger side has more of that O-Ring track and a horizontal bar that is primarily use to access the roof rank... Up front on the hood is more O-Ring track that works great for the Orange Sand Tracks... Or a folding chair...

More at: XV-JP #003

jingram

Adventurer
While I'm not completely disagreeing, there are plenty of places that I've gone in eastern Oregon where extra fuel is a requirement. There's not really a requirement for point to point travel, but if you want to explore a little you definitely need more fuel. I took a trip to the Steens and the Alvord desert this summer, and I was on fumes getting to Fields and very happy to pay so much for gas (which turned out to be cheaper than California later). When I return I'll make sure I have at least ten extra gallons extra so I can spend more time looking around!

I always pack extra fuel and water in the Steens/Alvord Desert area. That is not a place you want to run out of either if you are heading off the beaten track at all.

One of my favorite areas!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A weatherproof case mounted to the spare? This appears to be a Hardigg case, and the article this Land Rover is in is about a couple whose honeymoon trip is driving their Land Rover around the world. For that trip I guess one would need lots of extra storage, hence the Hardigg (and the other box off to the side).

Hardigg_zpsgysknx2b.jpg

Hardigg3_zps5n8pummk.jpg

This photo was printed at a very small size in the magazine so it didn't scan well but it shows how they use the case.

Hardigg2_zpse2fcql9o.jpg

Here's a surplus Hardigg case that appears to be the same size as the one in the photo above: https://colemans.com/u-s-g-i-large-square-hardigg-waterproof-storage-case

In addition the box on the rear corner they also have one on the side.

RearCornerBox_zps5nzbvbrj.jpg

I haven't seen any other info on these boxes so probably they're one-offs done by the owner of this Defender.

BTW later in the series about that couple driving their Defender around the world the Hardigg case on the spare doesn't appear so maybe they decided it wasn't a good idea. Don't know, it wasn't mentioned in the article.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've started work on a Wrangler version of this "hood extender" awning:

HoodExtender_zpsoqz09vuo.jpg

Like the original Land Rover version, there will be a frame to support the shape in the back and two posts to hold it up. The frame is posed against the back of the Jeeps in these photos. The JKU is slightly lower than the LJ so the length of the poles are adjusted accordingly.

uc

There will be two guy ropes to hold the frame in place just like the Land Rover version, they're not in this mockup photo.

The bow is from a Wrangler factory soft top, modified slightly for this application, and the posts are paint roller extension handles ($7.24 each from Walmart: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Premier-4-x-8-Paint-Roller-Metal-Extension-Pole/165407394 ) also slightly modified for this application.

I've designed the attachment to the Jeep and I'll make that when I sew the awning.

For storage the frame comes apart and will be rolled up in the awning fabric. Probably will make a storage bag for it to slip into.

uc

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Jeff I have followed your builds for years and I always love what you come up with. One day I hope to get a Gladiator. I went to buy one back in January but at the time they were way overpriced so I ended up with a 2016 JKU Sahara instead. However one day I still will eventually get one maybe in 3 or 4 years when prices of used ones are more reasonable. I did some design work to what I think would be the for me the ultimate camper that were inspired by your work. This is what I came up with which fits this thread. I want something with a full rack like what you would see on a defender to carry my kayaks and my paddle boards or use it as a platform for gear. I also would want it to be able to have the roof raise into a full camper. basically turning the gladiator into something similar to the defender.
View attachment 606859View attachment 606860
Here you go Bob...

It's not on a pickup but it does raise vertically.

uc

According to the caption, more than 160 have been sold (presumably to be turned into campers), but this one is a mobile DJ studio. The top raises and lowers electrically and can be controlled from a smartphone app.

uc

Jurfie

Adventurer
I don't quite get this product. It's a grab bar bag and attaches to the bar by wrapping the flap over the bar. Seems like to get at anything inside the main bag you'd have to undo the flap and remove the bag from the bar. I think the only storage you could access without removing the bag is the small net pocket on the side.

GrabBarBag_zpswljwwiru.jpg

It almost looks like there is a sleeve sewn on the inside of the flap that actually holds the bag when the flap is opened?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
It almost looks like there is a sleeve sewn on the inside of the flap that actually holds the bag when the flap is opened?
Now that you mentioned it, it does look like there might be a sleeve in there. Good eye!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
This one was a Land Rover factory option. You might have noticed that the family overlander in an earlier post had jerry cans mounted on the front bumper. That's another place jerry cans are sometimes carried on Series Land Rovers:

FrontBumperJerryCans_zpsgkqdoiga.jpg

FrontBumperJerryCans2_zps3wegley3.jpg

FirstOverland_zpsmh80jncn.jpg

FirstOverland2_zpsvlwppoco.jpg

FirstOverland3_zpsvjvkjzak.jpg

FrontBumperJerryCans3_zpstm5yhhoi.jpg

Front bumper jerry can carriers were a Land Rover factory accessory. They came with raised turn signal/marker light housings because the cans obscured the original lights. The accessory lights are visible in this photo.

FrontBumperJerryCans4_zpsydo7vbdd.jpg

All of the above are Series 1 or Series 2/2a Land Rovers. For the Series 3 the headlights were moved to the fenders and jerry cans mounted as above would be in front of the lights, so some people carry them in front of the grille:

FrontBumperJerryCans5_zpsnqztzzym.jpg

FrontBumperJerryS3_zpsjk6ehhgf.jpg

I don't know why the driver is wearing a Goofy mask. Also note how the front of the roof rack is supported vertically down to the bottom of the windshield.

I haven't seen jerry cans on the front of a Defender, I've only seen them on Series Land Rovers. I suspect it's because the bumper on the Defender doesn't stick out very far from the grille.

I don't plan to actually do this, but I did a photo edit to see what jerry cans in front of the fenders would look like on my LJ...

FrontBumperJerry_zpsfwqs0tus.jpg

Last edited:

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
D0D5FB95-894A-4965-8057-25D13032A545.jpeg
been there, done that years ago! It worked pretty well actually.

Attachments

• 6C19CBCC-5F97-4EBA-A886-0B4CD17F5ED6.jpeg
    6C19CBCC-5F97-4EBA-A886-0B4CD17F5ED6.jpeg
    655.5 KB · Views: 50

Jurfie

Adventurer
This one was a Land Rover factory option. You might have noticed that the family overlander in an earlier post had jerry cans mounted on the front bumper. That's another place jerry cans are sometimes carried on Series Land Rovers:

I wonder how long it would take some dummy to drink the gas and sue the owner. :ROFLMAO:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The first Land Rover in yesterday's post also has a solar panel, it's mounted under the front of the roof rack:

Here's another one with a solar panel in the same place although it looks like this one might be permanently attached to the roof.

Solar_zpsf1kkltul.jpg

Seems like a great place to store a large rigid solar panel. I've been wanting to experiment with solar panels for a while now, and when I do I think I'll work up a sliding mount under the front of my roof rack for it. My idea is that it would be stored under the rack, and could be pulled out when needed but also detached from the slide and repositioned, perhaps on top of the roof top tent, if it needed to be somewhere else to catch the sun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78