Land Rover ideas for Jeeps

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Carry two spares? One on the rear door and one on the rack:

RoofTopSpare.jpg

I often do that. Not because I expect to get two flat tires, but because I don't want my plans interrupted by trying to get a flat fixed or find a replacement tire. Yes, I do carry my compressor and tire plugs, but it's not a big deal to carry an extra spare on the rack and in the event of a tire failure I still have a spare and I don't have to waste time trying to plug a tire.

Coming off a ledge at Moab:

LedgeDescent_zpshphsbcdq.jpg

In Death Valley:

ChlorideCliffs4_zpszpvps38c.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Nets

StorageNets1.jpg

Nets like the ones above in a range of sizes can be found in eBay. I've got a few small ones here so I did some "what if" photos...

Clockwise from upper left, a few locations in the JK where these could be used - side of center console, on the door panels, on the back of the center console, on the front of the center console (assuming you don't have the factory inverter like mine does):

NetLocationsJK.jpg

Some locations for the TJ - side of center console, on the door panels, on the back of the center console (don't mind me holding it crooked for the photo), inside side of the hardtop below the side windows (better in a factory hardtop than my carpeted Safari Cab:

NetLocationsTJ.jpg

Another type of net:

StorageNets2.jpg

Nets like that can often be found in the back of an SUV or minivan; they often can be found in vehicles in a U-Pull junkyard . These are a few I've picked up there while looking for other parts:

NetsUPull.jpg

One way nets you might find in the back of a minivan or SUV can be used is to attach them to the inside of the tub using the hardtop bolts...

TubRailNet4.jpg

TubRailNet5(1).jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Fire extinguisher

This was from an article on increasing the storage in a Discovery (I posted items #1 and #22 about nets from that article yesterday; most of the items aren't interesting or are specific to Discos so I won't post them).

FireExtinguisher1.jpg

I have an extinguisher on my barn door too; like it says I keep it there because it's near the stove (when the kitchen is in the Jeep) and I figure a stove fire is much more likely than an engine fire.

BarnDoorExtinguisher.jpg

It's mounted on a Molle panel that replaces the small access grille on the tailgate. Mounting it there makes it very handy to the kitchen and it doesn't interfere with the Storegate on my tailgate and also wouldn't interfere with a tailgate table.

TAPSample1a.jpg

There's also a metal panel that goes behind the fabric Molle panel; if can be used to mount anything that fits there. The mounting holes are spaced to work with most mounts that come with fire extinguishers; it also works great with QuickFist Clamps:

TAP2.jpg

The Tailgate Accessory Panel is a preproduction sample from Overland Outfitters; the cloth and leather panel in the photos is one of a few samples they sent me last week to test although the last I heard from them they hadn't decided if they're going to put it in production or not.

The LJ doesn't have that space on the tailgate for mounting the extinguisher so I attach it to the roll bar in the back:

ExtinguisherOnRollBar.jpg

RainGoat

I would be very worried about the fire extinguisher in that first pic becoming a potentially lethal missile in a road wreck. Your sling appears much more secure. It’s worth noting alot of these mounts are designed for a stationary wall and may not translate well to vehicle mounting. Just a strap of some sort on the mid body of that first oic would go along way towards keeping it from being ejected in an accident.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Land of Land Rovers

I wonder if there's anywhere in the world that a story like this could be told about Jeeps?

LandofLandRovers.jpg

Here's the video:

Maneybhanjang, West Bengal, is about 18 miles from Ghum (rhymes with doom) and not far from Darjeeling. When I was photographing the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway trains at the Ghum Station for a magazine article, a bare aluminum Series Land Rover drove by. I didn't have time to photograph it I've always regretted not getting that photo. That Land Rover would have been one from Maneybhanjang as seen in the video. The Ghum Station:

GhumStation.jpg

Nets

StorageNets1.jpg

Nets like the ones above in a range of sizes can be found in eBay. I've got a few small ones here so I did some "what if" photos...

Clockwise from upper left, a few locations in the JK where these could be used - side of center console, on the door panels, on the back of the center console, on the front of the center console (assuming you don't have the factory inverter like mine does):

NetLocationsJK.jpg

Some locations for the TJ - side of center console, on the door panels, on the back of the center console (don't mind me holding it crooked for the photo), inside side of the hardtop below the side windows (better in a factory hardtop than my carpeted Safari Cab:

NetLocationsTJ.jpg

Another type of net:

StorageNets2.jpg

Nets like that can often be found in the back of an SUV or minivan; they often can be found in vehicles in a U-Pull junkyard . These are a few I've picked up there while looking for other parts:

NetsUPull.jpg

One way nets you might find in the back of a minivan or SUV can be used is to attach them to the inside of the tub using the hardtop bolts...

TubRailNet4.jpg

TubRailNet5(1).jpg
Id love to see a solution to replace the netting on the JL and JKs. A couple of the LR images above it looks like a much more robust netting.

jgaz

Adventurer
Id love to see a solution to replace the netting on the JL and JKs. A couple of the LR images above it looks like a much more robust netting.
I assume you’ve seen these panels @jscherb has designed for the JKs that I believe are coming to market.
If not, check these out.
(Post #4,660)

A friend of mine took a DIY approach and made Kdyex pockets to replace the sagging factory net.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I assume you’ve seen these panels @jscherb has designed for the JKs that I believe are coming to market.
If not, check these out.
(Post #4,660)

I plan to install the preproduction samples this afternoon. Photos to come.
jeff

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Expanding dash switch/gauge space

Both of the factory radios in my 2006's are starting to fail - the rotary encoders (a.k.a. volume controls) have developed glitchy contacts so they no longer work reliably. They're sealed parts, so I can't disassembleb them and clean the contacts to make them work properly.

I don't need many radio features and probably will consider a single DIN retro-styled radio (I refuse to get a radio that has annoying animated graphics every time you turn it on).

But I don't like the look of the single DIN installation kits - making a smaller opening out of the larger factory rounded corner opening just looks like a hack to me.

I came across these in the Land Rover magazines:

IronGoatDash.jpg

RaptorConsole.jpg

They're an add-on consoles for a Land Rover Defender dash that provides extra space for gauges and switches. What if something like that could be made for a TJ?

A few concept drawings... first, a straight-ahead view:

SingleDinDash1s.jpg

It would be a console that overlays the factory center stack and protrudes a bit. This quarter side view illustrates that; I've drawn this one with an aluminum panel:

SingleDinDash2.jpg

Here's how it would work - the factory plastic gets cut out at the red dashed line and the new panel goes over the hole.

SingleDinDash2a.jpg

Another straight-ahead view. Might be able to fit two single DIN devices in there, this concept shows a radio, a CB and some switches.

SingleDinDashCB.jpg

It could also be a way to install a double DIN device along with some switches.

The panel could be cut out for any combinations of things - a single DIN radio, or maybe multiple gauges or lots of switches, or a single double DIN or whatever combination needed that could fit in the available space.

The panel could be aluminum as shown, or it could be painted metal or it could be plastic, it really doesn't matter since it's just a flat piece of material. The housing would need to be form-fitted to the factory shape so it looks like it belongs there.

I'm thinking about making a mold for the housing so housings could be made in fiberglass. Once finished and painted a matching color, it should look like it belongs there.

Dumb idea or good idea?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
If not, check these out.
(Post #4,660)

Photos here: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...factory-hardtops.127687/page-312#post-2903668

jscherb

Expedition Leader
In response to your head unit idea.
http://www.metraonline.com/part/95-6541

I bought one of these some time back. Just need to find a head unit I like.
Yes I've seen those, but that doesn't interest me because I want to install a smaller single DIN radio, not a larger double DIN. The single DIN kits on the market are basically a filler panel that makes the hole small enough for a single DIN radio, but I think they look bad. What I'm proposing is an add-on that can be custom configured for a radio (single or double DIN or two single DIN radios), switches, gauges, whatever the Jeep owner needs.

Zeep

Adventurer
I'm just the opposite, I like the larger display. Also allows for add-ons, such as camera's, tpms, etc.

bitbckt

I'm thinking about making a mold for the housing so housings could be made in fiberglass. Once finished and painted a matching color, it should look like it belongs there.

That part could also be trivially 3D printed with FDM, given some basic information on the dash curvature.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
That part could also be trivially 3D printed with FDM, given some basic information on the dash curvature.
If I had a 3D printer setup I would probably do that, but since I don't have that if I decide to make it I can easily do it in fiberglass and it will work, finish and look as good as a plastic part.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle