Land Rover LRX Hybrid Concept

The latest from the Rover newsroom:

DETROIT, Jan 13, 2008 – Land Rover unveiled a vision of its future today at the North American International Auto Show (Detroit Auto Show) with the world debut of the LRX hybrid concept - a bold evolution of Land Rover design that indicates the brand’s progressive shift into new areas of the market, while remaining true to its core values. As the company prepares to celebrate its 60th anniversary during 2008, the three-door LRX, with its more compact size, lighter weight and sustainability-focused technologies, clearly addresses the needs of a changing world and offers the potential of 120 g/km CO2 emissions.

You can read the rest here:
http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=27498

Attachments

• FRD2007121460991_PV.jpg
    FRD2007121460991_PV.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 19
  • FRD2007121461006_PV.jpg
    FRD2007121461006_PV.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 15

Mercedesrover

Explorer
Well, Land Rover can't seem to make a gasoline engine that runs. Maybe they figure at least this way you can get home on battery power.

Yeah, that makes sense...Land Rover has always been good with electrical systems......:(

pangaea

Adventurer
durango_60 said:
I'm glad Rover looks like it is going to escape Ford, that thing looks just like an Edge.

Agreed. It looks like the b*st*rd love child of a Range Stormer and Ford Edge.

I just hope that whoever buys Land Rover recognizes the brand for what it is, and doesn't try to make it a premium luxury brand.

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
pangaea said:
I just hope that whoever buys Land Rover recognizes the brand for what it is, and doesn't try to make it a premium luxury brand.

I'm sure whoever buys Land Rover recognizes what the brand is for the rest of the world (Defender mainly), but to the largest car market in the world LR will continue to be perceived and therefore peddled as a premium luxury brand.

To a car manufacturer the majority of American's are label w#ore$. This is why the Japanese auto manufacturers felt compelled to concoct different names for their luxury marques in the 80's. To us they were Lexus, Acura, and Infiniti and to the rest of the world they remained Toyota, Acura, and Nissan. Silly? Perhaps. Brilliant? Even more so. What the Japanese manufacturers recognized is that American's wouldn't be able to stomach the thought of a $45,000 Toyota/Honda/Nissan sedan and addressed the issue accordingly.

Ignoring the badge engineered luxury trend has made companies like VW wish they rethought the Phaeton marketing plan and companies like Mercedes-Benz laugh its way to the bank with the G-Wagen.

We (as in the off-road enthusiasts) are the minority in the much bigger scheme of things. While visions of churning along on an adventure dance in our minds, how to churn along and be profitable dance in an auto execs mind. Unfortunately, it all boils down to money and how to make the most of it as a manufacturer. Whoever buys LR needs to recognize what Jeep did for its enthusiasts and take note of Toyota's marketing strategy for the FJ and realize that the common theme for both are brand heritage. Something I think LR has been able to amass over the years but widely ignore in recent times. Gone are the days of a mostly front and rear solid axle lineup for Jeep, but they still give us the J/K. Gone are the days of the mechanically simple FJ but they still showcase its capabilities off road. LR has preferred to tout its urban/urbane prowess and "if you need them" off road gadgets.

If the Subaru plant in Indiana can build Camrys for Toyota there's no reason why (hypothetically) a Nissan plant in Tennessee couldn't build Defenders, especially with the CKD kits. If Tata buys LR, Nissan just might be a natural fit since there's already a global connection between the two companies. The new owners can sell the Defender models here too, but they must be kept realtively affordable to make it worth while. For many the Defender is the Holy Grail but can it be a halo car for LR? If you're in the business of selling heritage then I say yes.

P.S. get rid of the LR2. It is not working as the "affordable" LR.

Last edited:

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
That pretty much sums it up for me.

This could end badly for Land Rover North America. We're one of, if not the largest car market, but we have different standards than the rest of the world. If the new owner wanted to focus on the core values without a lot of expense, dropping North America and building Discos and Defenders for the rest of the world wouldn't be too hard. Strip out all of the fancy electronics and sell a simple, stripped-down rig to developing nations.

There isn't a major Indian automotive presence in the US, and starting with a luxury marque (even an established one) isn't usually the way companies dip their toes in the cut-throat US market. Usually they sell a cheap(ish) vehicle and tout the reliability or warranty like the Koreans and Japanese did.

I'm hoping they simplify their offerings and realize that they can still make an upscale vehicle without all of the high-tech doo-dads, keeping costs down, profits up, and reliability high.

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
LC/LR4Life said:
I don't think this ridiculous machine remains true to Land Rover core values at all.
:smileeek:

The cold hard reality is that LR's new core values are to be a global luxury brand and sell volume. I wholeheartedly agree that LR has lost its way in its pursuit of being global rather than niche but unfortunately it has happened. LR will likely continue to have Porsche, MB, and BMW in its sights forever. We can only hope that LR takes their eyes off the prize long enough to keep and give us the Defender.

Last edited:

KevinNY

Adventurer
As someone said on another forum, why even continue to put transfer cases in these things? It just adds weight and cost.

Funrover

Expedition Leader
Man I just wanna puke....then cry. This is really sad and I hope that nothing truly comes of but I worry something will!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears