Land Rover National Rally Moab 08 Pictures

EricWS

Observer
kellymoe said:
???? Whats horrible? The truck? That it's used as intended? Because it's paint isn't polished to a high sheen:)

No, because it's jacked. I use my trucks as intended. Some of us don't ascribe to the "It's a land rover and A) it's supposed to leak, and B) it's supposed to be abused and look abused part. Doens't have to be shiney and new but a little pride in ownership goes along way.

KevinNY

Adventurer
The owner was wheeling a 4 speed with one artificial leg and had just driven it from British Columbia to the Utah desert. It ran perfectly, was minimally modified and even had a galvanized tailgate to save it from the RR Classics biggest corrosion problem. Your 'tude that he does not take "pride in ownership" is rediculous, it's not a fashion show, get over yourself. If you don't like it , how about the old adage, "If you don't have anything nice to..."

"I use my trucks as intended." So everyone who doesn't think just like you is wrong, again, you overestimate your self importance on the internet.

over and out.

Last edited:

EricWS

Observer
KevinNY said:
The owner was wheeling a 4 speed with one artificial leg and had just driven it from British Columbia to the Utah desert. It ran perfectly, was minimally modified and even had a galvanized tailgate to save it from the RR Classics biggest corrosion problem. Your 'tude that he does not take "pride in ownership" is rediculous, it's not a fashion show, get over yourself. If you don't like it , how about the old adage, "If you don't have anything nice to..."

"I use my trucks as intended." So everyone who doesn't think just like you is wrong, again, you overestimate your self importance on the internet.

over and out.

Oh please! Do all opposing viewpoints draw your ire? It's my opinion nothing more or less. You read into my post. It wasn't a troll. Simply stated that other people have different views of what their trucks should be and what constitutes a nice truck in their opinion. Just like all the other opinions in this thread.

The driver is irrelevant. I am glad he enjoys his truck. Did I say the truck didn't work? No. I said it's jacked. I didn't ellaborate on "intended use" or "jacked" either.

Where have I shown my importance on this thread/BBS or in any other BBS for that matter? Search my posts on DWEB, RN, D-90.com and EE and provide some factual evidence. Post some links.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
Keep it civil guys.

I don't see much wrong with that rig. A few wrinkles, some oxidized paint, but otherwise it looks solid. If that was a Series Rover everone would be ooh-ing and aah-ing over the patina. After the first few dents, I generally get less inclined to wax and polish.

However, I understand that not everyone is inclined to agree.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
You also have to realize that RR is probably a late 70's to mid 80's import. Not too many of those around and of those that are here not too many are still being wheeled.

Maybe it's because my truck is wrinkled and oxidized that I have a soft spot for older trucks that are still being used. I have nothing against shiny trucks, I have a shiny 94 Disco sitting in my driveway right now, it never gets driven but it's shiny:) BTW, I'll be parting out the Disco soon if anyone needs some parts.

EricWS

Observer
Alaska Mike said:
Keep it civil guys.

If that was a Series Rover everone would be ooh-ing and aah-ing over the patina.

No worries. I don't believe in Ad Hom BS.

No patina for me :elkgrin: My 66 is slowly being reduced to pieces that are finding their way to the body shop for paint. Anything unpainted in Chicago corrodes unless it's made of Titanium.

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
EricWS said:
No, because it's jacked. I use my trucks as intended. Some of us don't ascribe to the "It's a land rover and A) it's supposed to leak, and B) it's supposed to be abused and look abused part. Doens't have to be shiney and new but a little pride in ownership goes along way.
I agree, I also would feel the same if it were a Series Rover, A little pride goes a long way.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
FourByLand said:
I agree, I also would feel the same if it were a Series Rover, A little pride goes a long way.

I am sure that guy is plenty proud of his truck. The truck is just showing it's age. Reliability is probably a priority for him.

If I had the money to take my truck apart and have it painted I would do it in a heartbeat. I choose to spent the money on engine and drive train parts to keep it reliable. Priorities are just different for people, I cant afford to keep it looking good and running good, so I choose to just keep it running good.

Michael Slade

Untitled
I know that guy driving the 2dr RRC. Let me tell you he has PLENTY of pride of ownership. Had a D-90 with a Nissan diesel in it years ago before swaps and diesels were trendy. I've watched him drive plenty. He entered one of the hardest LR comps in the PNW and drove the living shiat out of that D90 even with his artificial leg.

He is a GREAT guy and to even claim that his truck is 'jacked' (whatever the hell that means), and that he has no 'pride in ownership' is wrong. It might be your opinion, but it is wrong.

To make a blanket judgement based on one photograph is 'jacked'. (I still don't know what that means).

It might not be your cup of tea, but it's definitely not 'jacked'.

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
I am referring to the asthetics of the vehicle itself. I have no idea who this guy is and if he beats his wfe and kids or not, I don't care about that but I am not going to oohhh and aahhh a beat up Range Rover... I think it's wrong for people to assume that because it "appears" used and abused that it's being used for what it's intended purpose is. I think that's wrong. Take for instance the license plate being held on by what looks like the bungee cord to hold the hi-lift handle in place and a zip tie or the hi-lift jack... when was the last time you think it was serviced? I am not saying he is a bad, bad man I just think that from the looks of his truck that he should show a little "pride of ownership".

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
FourByLand said:
I am referring to the asthetics of the vehicle itself. I have no idea who this guy is and if he beats his wfe and kids or not, I don't care about that but I am not going to oohhh and aahhh a beat up Range Rover... I think it's wrong for people to assume that because it "appears" used and abused that it's being used for what it's intended purpose is. I think that's wrong. Take for instance the license plate being held on by what looks like the bungee cord to hold the hi-lift handle in place and a zip tie or the hi-lift jack... when was the last time you think it was serviced? I am not saying he is a bad, bad man I just think that from the looks of his truck that he should show a little "pride of ownership".

I guess it's all about priorities.

When was the last time it was serviced? Probably everyday of the trip. You dont own a vehicle like that and ignore service. Unless you mean taken into the dealer for a service then I would say he probably never has it serviced.

You dont have to ooh and ahh over it but can you let me ooh and ahh over it?

There are plenty of trucks I see on this site and others that I dont like, but I dont tell them there truck is horrible.

MUSBJIM

Observer

WOW!

I guess this is why there are 31 flavors at Baskin Robbins! Everybody can enjoy ice cream - but in their flavor of choice.

...I'm just saying...

BTW - Anymore pics of Land Rover Moab to share, I can't get enough of Rovers off-road pics?

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
kellymoe said:
I guess it's all about priorities.

When was the last time it was serviced? Probably everyday of the trip. You dont own a vehicle like that and ignore service. Unless you mean taken into the dealer for a service then I would say he probably never has it serviced.

You dont have to ooh and ahh over it but can you let me ooh and ahh over it?

There are plenty of trucks I see on this site and others that I dont like, but I dont tell them there truck is horrible.
I asked when you thought the last time his Hi-lift was serviced... it's the little things that make a difference and if he needs to take it to the dealer to be serviced then that's his thing, personally I do it myself but I don't care about that either. It's the little things that go a long way such as taking 2 min to properly secure a license plate... but I guess if he can over look that minor attention to detail what else is he letting slide? Like you said "I guess it's all about priorities" I never said it was horrible I simply said he could show a little pride. Then people started making claims about what a stand up guy he is. Feel free to oohh and aahh all you like but don't get your feelings hurt when someone feels differently and chooses to voice that opinion such as you have.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
FourByLand said:
I asked when you thought the last time his Hi-lift was serviced... it's the little things that make a difference and if he needs to take it to the dealer to be serviced then that's his thing, personally I do it myself but I don't care about that either. It's the little things that go a long way such as taking 2 min to properly secure a license plate... but I guess if he can over look that minor attention to detail what else is he letting slide? Like you said "I guess it's all about priorities" I never said it was horrible I simply said he could show a little pride. Then people started making claims about what a stand up guy he is. Feel free to oohh and aahh all you like but don't get your feelings hurt when someone feels differently and chooses to voice that opinion such as you have.

Sorry your right, it wasnt you who said it was horrible, my bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan