Land Rover VS. Toyota Video

Expedition Leader
I'm a Toyota guy, but thought the Icarus conversion was well-designed and way cool. What is that hideous thing on the bonnet though?

The reviewer is pretty opinionated for sure, but I thought he was quite complimentary to the Rover, and he was careful to say that most differences were a matter of personal taste.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Anyone spend any time in the Serengeti?
The Dry season the tour operators like to run Toyota 9 passenger Troop wagons. The bush rangers like to run Land Rovers. The tour operators who also run support trucks in the wet seasons for studies and animal researchers like to run their Land Rovers.

I'll give you a hint why this is.

The Land Rovers are lighter and are superior at dealing with muddy conditions. The Toyota rigs even the standard two door 4 person troopy is heavy and not very good in the muddy wet season. The dry season tour operators like running the Toyota's for several reasons #1 fuel consumption they do better than the Land Rover, #2 Run cleaner, #3 Are more reliable ie you run far less risk botching up your customers big two week trip with vehicle issues.

The Bush rangers travel off the dirt tracks they bush whack in the Land Rovers the lighter weight means they have far far fewer issues getting stuck or not being able to get into places they need to go. They aren't too bothered by fuel costs or repair costs given those are covered by the GOV foundations that pay to keep them out there making sure the bad guys are not doing stuff to the animals etc.

Nothing in that video is a surprise or any different than what I learned about which vehicle gets used for what and why regardless of the funny guy who made the video.

Scott Brady

Founder
Interesting feedback on the Safari considerations. I have completed game drives in both Defenders and 70-series Cruisers. The Defender was superior in ride comfort.

I do find the fuel consumption comment curious. The 1HZ is far less efficient than the 300 tdi in my experience.

Great comments, thanks for posting.

TRIARII

Adventurer
Ive seen several of the reviewers videos, I agree that hes opinionated and I sometimes do not agree but I respect his thoughts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998