Last Child in the Woods

61rover

Observer
The passage the really got me was about how children "...can tell you volumes about polar bears and the rainforest, but nothing about the field behind their house." That really struck me.

I bought it, skimmed it but haven't read it. Like the person that posted before me said...if you have time to sit down and read about it you should just do the real thing!

I'm on a business trip to San Antonio, but I'll be back for the weekend. I told my 5 year-old boy that we are going 4-wheeling in my new FJ60 that I picked up last week. He's pretty excited!

And mandatory pic of my new rig.... :smiley_drive:

Attachments

• B_Left.jpg
    B_Left.jpg
    389.6 KB · Views: 9

Harmgrissom

Observer
(first post)

Live in Southern Arizona and all my friends gave me grief for NOT buying a house in Phoenix Metro Proper and instead bought in a town 20 miles south in the middle of the desert.

Now the first reason was economic - I didn't want to be up to my eyeballs in debt affording a moderate home in town when out of town was much more affordable. But second and most important to me was elbow room. I can be in the desert camping, shooting, off-roading, trail riding or other activity in less than 10 minutes from my driveway.

I've been pavement bound since I sold my Grand Cherokee several years ago and just recently picked up a 96 XJ/Cherokee and my kids are its biggest fans (I love it but its a tad small for my build - I'll cope). We go out for several hours almost every weekend. Together we've found old abandoned homes, animal skeletons, and other abandoned "treasures" that they've been extremely excited about. Its been great to see how much they love it. Thats why I bought the Jeep.

I try explaining this to my friends in town with more money into their rigs - but never see dirt or sand and they just don't seem to get it. Sad really. I offer to trade but they think I'm joking.

xtatik

Explorer
With my daughter it was unavoidable. Her dad (me) could never sit still. She'd been to Joshua Tree on climbing trips that her mom and I would take a few times each year. Here first trip was when she was only a few months old.
I surf and I used to compete in spearfishing meets in the 80' and 90's so she got an early intro into marine biology. We'd play in the tidepools after my meets and she'd pick up and handle any creature I'd pull up (basically, everything). Later, she would venture out and actually go freediving with me. She wasn't keen on killing or capturing anything though, and although she was always proud of dad for dragging a decent fish onto the beach, occasionally she would give me some stink-eye. During her Summer vacation between junior and senior high school years, we made a trip to the Galapagos Islands and it was a great learning experience for both of us.
She'd go flyfishing with me as well, and has turned out to be pretty good at it.
After her mom and I split, her mom moved the two of them to Denver. My ex continued to climb, so my daughter took up climbing and still continues to do so.
Being the only kid, the poor thing had to put up with being a bit of a tomboy for dad's sake in her early years. Now she's off to ASU and in the end she's turning out very well.
As for the book...never read it, but I've read about it. I also recall seeing an interview with the author on TV. All that I've experienced or gathered on the subject I'd agree with....kids NEED to have these experiences.

Last edited:

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
I know its not exactly what you were asking, but my kids if they wanna wander away from the campsite any more then 100 meters, they gotta take the walkie talkie with them and their little Bug Out Bag, which has things they need in case something happens to them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12