Last minute Grays and Torreys trip

Bergger

Explorer
So my daughter and I get back late Sunday night from an 8 day 1500 mile road trip. I stay up late cleaning stuff up then get up early on Monday and start cleaning up some more. My wife comes out and says, "Hey the grandparents miss thier grandchild and want to spend a few days with her so I'm taking her over there now. That gives us two days alone so how about camping out tonight climbing a couple of 14ers tomorrow! So I immediately stop cleaning up and start packing again. We traveled light so I quickly got the packs together and set up the Xterra for sleeping. We spent the afternoon in Idaho Springs at Tommy Knockers drinking great beer then had pizza at Beau Joes. A short time later we were at 11,300 ft camping at the trail head. We started our climb at 0615 hrs and were back down at 1215 hrs having summited both. Grays is 14,270 ft and Torreys is 14,267. They were our 5th and 6th ones since we started climbing them last July. We could not have had better weather and we hardly ran into many other people. The flowers were beautiful and the marmots were everywhere. Here are some pics of the trip. We hope to get another 3 or 4 in this summer.
View attachment 20475View attachment 20467View attachment 20468

View attachment 20469View attachment 20470View attachment 20471

View attachment 20472View attachment 20476View attachment 20477

View attachment 20478

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Great shots. Did you see any goats? When I was up there two summers ago I had a few close encounters with them. A friend of mine and I ended up doing Grays and Torreys in the afternoon, then drove to the trailhead of Longs and got an early start the next morning. Ended up getting 3 in 24 hours but was pretty tired by the time we got off Long's.

Bergger

Explorer
Yes we saw 5 goats. They were on one side of an out cropping and we were on the other. We walked right by them and did not see them until we were a good 100 yards away and about 300 feet above them! Hopefully next time we'll get close enough to take some photos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior