Latest from HPA on their diesel conversion kit

A Jetta SportWagen weighs in at 3,300lb (curb weight) and it has a payload of about 1,000lb. Waaaay better aerodynamicity than the Jeep, same engine gets 30/40mpg (city/highway) or more. In a Jeep getting down from 40 to 25-30 (because of the squareish shape and extra weight, recon more than 500lb but way less than 1,000lb difference, see below for more) is definitely not impossible.

Also reece, you mentioned that 55lb difference in engine weight is not big deal, this was for the 2.5 it replaced. Anyone knows the weight difference between a 2.5 and a 4.0? That (plus 55) would gather you another 200lb in difference at least. That might count for something.

We're shooting the breeze here, right? We're not actually (none of us) going out and buy one right now, I guess we're just exchanging opinions. However, for the money you spend if it garners 30mpg on the highway, has 150-200hp and about 300lb/ft torque, is reliable enough to be able to take it into the wild... I'd probably go for it. They're selling everything you need to convert to it, up to 2006 for most gearboxes, including the Mercedes 6-speed gearbox. Buying a used one (LJ probably, more expensive but also more suited to long distance travel), selling the old motor and putting the new (or new to you?) diesel in would be a bit of money, probably add minimum $5,000 to the price. I don't think that's a lot, consider that when (if?) Chrysler starts selling diesel the premium you'll pay for a diesel JK will be somewhere around that.

truck mechanic

Adventurer
Back in 1980 IH put a small oil burner in the Scouts, hp was 101, Ive seen scouts with 35s that go down the highway just fine. I thimnk it could work well.

reece146

Automotive Artist
Yeah, just shooting breeze but I can guarantee that I won't be buying a kit to swap that particular engine into a Jeep. :)

150-200 hp, 300 (+!!!) lb-ft, ~30 mpg (U.S.)... That would seriously have my attention... supposedly mildly worked over OM617s and OM603s can be made to put out those kinds of numbers... and the adapters already exist for a lot less money. Much more of a project then what HPA is offering though.

For 20+ mpg in a Jeep I'm more intrigued by a stroker or a GM Gen IV. My last tank was 17 mpg for my piggy of a Jeep so adding another 125+ lb-ft at a similar fuel burn rate should get me into the twenties. $2k stroker rebuild versus approaching $10k and a unknown (miserable?) highway experience... It's just so much easier.

Last edited:

XpoNoobie

Observer
Looks like they have a kit in the plans for a XJ. And for the ones worried about mileage, get a veggi conversion and top up with oil. That be one reason for me to convert over for long trips

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears