Le Chameau's Vierzon Nord Plus vs Hunter's Balmoral Neoprene

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
I'm looking for a good multi season muck and snow boot and have boiled it down to these two wellies. I'm leaning french because of the added 2 mm of insulation, but my wife says I should go with Hunter's,...she loves hers. Problem with the Hunter's is I can't find much in terms of warmth rating, and it gets pretty cold in these parts. The Le Chameau's are rated down to 5 degrees F which should be warm enough. Anyone have input or experience with either of these boots?

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Trevor,

I haven't personally worn either boot but I believe my Dad had the Hunters and was happy with them.

Consider one more product though: LL Bean's classic Maine Hunting Shoes are very nice. Just read the reviews.

Pete

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
Hey Pete, those look great. Do you know if they provide water protection in the tongue area? I'm just thinking about those times where I may be slogging through wetland area where water depth sometimes exceeds the foot area. That's one of the reasons I was leaning towards a wellie style.

Last edited:

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
I had a knock-off version of the Bean boot and it's water protection was good, although it didn't last because it was a cheap version. All reviews of the original boot say that it's superb, especially with the Gore liner.

It's one of those classic kit boots. Same design for almost 100 years, tens of thousands of repeat buyers, great warranty, etc. As long as they are warm enough for your needs, I would seriously consider them.

Plus, LL Bean treats Canadians pretty well. Returns are easy and their shipping is good. But since they are in Freeport Maine you might even want to make a fast weekend trip. Beautiful place, plus Freeport has Bean, Patagonia and North Face outlets. ;)

Pete

I have the neoprene lined Le Chameau boots. I like them just fine but would qualify the 5 degree rating. I assume that is Fahrenheit. They would be comfortable at that temperature if you were active. If you were sitting in a photo blind at 5 degrees F. your feet would freeze. Mine would anyway. They are great boots, well made and long lasting.

Hazzard

Observer
I vote for Schnees Hunter II Pac boots.

SCC-509_16-inch--Brown.jpg

Very durable, rebuild-able and last a long time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan