Leadville 100 or Silver Rush 50???

Sloan

Explorer
Anyone ever done these? My bud and I are thinking of doing one of them this year just to see if we can do it.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Good luck on getting in to Leadville 100, my number hasn't come in the lottery yet. I've got a plan this year, but it's not exactly much of a secret trick anymore.

What sorts of endurance racing have you done so far? I've been having fun at the 50 mile level and have been thinking of sticking to those. Easier to fit the training rides into my schedule. I was going to try my first 100 (the Breckenridge 100) last year, but things conspired and my summer fell apart.

Bergger

Explorer
My wife and I were in Leadville last summer at the end of the event and saw some of them coming across the line. Wow is all I can say. I don't know what your level of experience is but the cut off is 15 hours for the half way point and 30 hours to finish. If you don't make those times they pull you off the course. The winning time was just over 16 hours by a guy from Cospgs. Any way I spoke with one of the search and rescue volunteers earlier this month and he told me they pulled a ton of people off the mountain that could not finish it either due to the cut off times, injury or sickness. After seeing some of those athletes it is inspiring and if you're at that level go for it. If not I'd pass until you are ready. I'd love to try some day but for now we are starting small. We both just signed up for the Colfax Marathon in May. I'm putting my training program together this week. Let us know if you end up doing it.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Bergger said:
I assumed you meant the running race. Is that so or is it the bike race?
Since the Silver Rush is traditionally the 50 mile MTB race, I was assuming he meant the bike race. There is a 50 mile foot race called the Silver Rush, which is new for 2008. In the MTB race 12 hours is the cut off for a small silver belt buckle and 9 hours for the nice gold and silver big one. For the 50 mile race the cut off is 4 hours at the halfway point, but I don't know that there's a cut off for the 100 mile race.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I haven't done it, but a couple of my team mates were either in the top 5 or top 15 this year. I used to submit my entry every now and then, but as mostly a single speed rider, it would probably kill me. My coach has gone for the past couple years and done pretty well.

If you go, you can say you have more brass than Lance Armstrong who bailed last year after much publicity and chest thumping prior to race day.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
There is a great one here in Park City called the Endurance 100. Fairly mild if I remember correctly, plenty of climbs and drops the trails are not extreme in any way and all are specifically designed for MTB. If I'm in shape this summer I'm thinking I might try it...

Sloan

Explorer
My bud that I have been riding with since I was 18 has decided he needs to do the 100 (he just turned 40). My first question was, "Can you ride 100 miles on the road?" I am going to do the 50 and it will probably kick my butt, is there as long a waiting list for the that one?

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Sloan said:
My bud that I have been riding with since I was 18 has decided he needs to do the 100 (he just turned 40). My first question was, "Can you ride 100 miles on the road?" I am going to do the 50 and it will probably kick my butt, is there as long a waiting list for the that one?
I ride 50-100 miles on the road with regularity. I ride 54 miles on the road every Wednesday and Sunday during the summer. I've done 2 different 50 mile mountain bike races and they were pure utter agony.

I would equate Leadville to at least a 150 mile road jaunt.

Sloan

Explorer
I spend a lot of time on the road, last long mtn bike ride I had was 26 miles (on a Bullit with 8" travel triple clamp forks). I know what is going to happen, he'll crap out in the first 10 miles and I will suffer until I can't go any further or I finish. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998