Leaking Hub Seal/3 Amigos

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
So, my 3 Amigos problem seems to be migrating. At first it was a bad ground. I cleaned the one behind the headlight, but the lights are still on. Now I'm getting something about a bad signal from the front right hub, bad signal, and then something about that side being shorted to ground.

The tech told me I probably have a leaking hub, and the oil is messing up that sensor. That's not surprising, because I had already started to notice that the steering knuckle on the front right was wet with oil on the outside.

I remember reading something about it could be an o-ring that might be able to be replaced, rather than it necessarily needing a new wheel bearing/hub altogether? Anybody have details on this?

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Not having a dwg anywhere close and never having delved that far

the swivel balls should be grease filled and the axle and R&P oil filled.

If you have oil in the swivel- I think you can work out whats up !

There must be an oil seal axle housing drive shaft, now what you have to strip down to find it, I'll leave to more knowledgable folks !

best of luck.......having spent the weekend taking apart the front hub on my wifes durango only to find it was birfield type joint on the drive shaft......

The wifes truck is now officially 2wd only !

Roverhound

Adventurer
If ou are leaking oil and getting abs faults, your hub seal isn't leaking but the bearing seal itself is leaking. Ask yourself how oil on a sensor that is seated in a bearing that is filled with grease is going to give a fault.
Pull your wheel and rotor off and look at the bearing seal itself, I bet you find it's leaking and your hub turns roughly.
Do it soon though, last time I had it get like that it went out in a matter of days.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
If ou are leaking oil and getting abs faults, your hub seal isn't leaking but the bearing seal itself is leaking. Ask yourself how oil on a sensor that is seated in a bearing that is filled with grease is going to give a fault.
Pull your wheel and rotor off and look at the bearing seal itself, I bet you find it's leaking and your hub turns roughly.
Do it soon though, last time I had it get like that it went out in a matter of days.

That's pretty much what I figured. I thought the sensor was between the outer and inner bearings, but hadn't looked yet.

So you are saying it's not oil/grease on the sensor, but rather the bearing is worn and shifted which is why the sensor isn't working?

Do I need a new sensor too, or just the hub?

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Nevermind, looks like it's all in one.

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID010206

Now, to find the best price... I was offered a used one, but I really don't see the point.

Rimmer has a Genuine one for 267, or aftermarket for 165. John Craddok has it for 165, but I'm assuming that's not Genuine. Ditto for Paddock.

Any experience with non-genuine?

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
"Rob has a DII"

yep and like my old D2 he's spending almost as much time underneath as in it !

my durango comment was due to what you see and hear - maybe not what needs replacing .....that is all

If the swivel ball hub is oil filled then he needs one of these

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/STC3321.cfm

Others by searching simply change the oil to grease and keep running

My patrol has an oil seal just before the swivel from half shaft to axle housing - the oil only gets that far, the swivel ball has grease within.

Hence my comment

on my d2 that was one of the few places I had leaks :coffeedrink:

Roverhound

Adventurer
He's not leaking oil in the front. It's grease from the bearing. There are oil seals on the axle tube in the front. The rear has o-rings to seal the axle tubes.
This is a D2, D1 owners need not reply.
Rob, you may want to check the CV boot. They can split and make it look like an oil seal but I'm still betting the hub is bad with the code you're throwing.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
The only thing is, I've seen grease slung around before, and it's never looked like this. It looks wet like oil.

yep and like my old D2 he's spending almost as much time underneath as in it !

It is sort of seeming like that...

I'm chalking it up to the abuse its seen. But yeah, it's starting to get old.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
"D2's don't have swivel balls, do they?"

DSC_0068.jpg

dam no balls.......please ignore all previous posts....

I'll just shuffle back out to the garage and spend some more time trying to find something wrong with my patrol.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12