Learning to ride

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
I've never ridden a motorcycle before. I want to take a weekend class and get my license. Is the class enough to learn how to ride one or should I get a bike and practice before I take a class?

rynosurf

Adventurer
I took a class that was geared for first time riders but was much easier if you already knew some basics. I would try and borrow someones bike and tool around on it just to get the feel of being on two wheels(off the road away from traffic), if you don't have that option I'm sure you will still do OK.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
The Basic Rider Course (BRC) that is put together by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) is a great place to start. The BRC assumes that you know what a motorcycle looks like, and that you are capable of riding a bicycle, but that is about it. They teach you all of the basic stuff (which lever does what, what buttons do what, etc), along with basic riding drills. You don't need to practice before you take the class.

They also include the use of one of their motorcycles in the price of the class, so you don't even need to own a bike to take the course.

Just keep in mind that it is a *basic* class, and is designed to teach people just enough to get their license. It is a good starting point.

ThomD

Explorer
The MSF classes can teach you to ride in a weekend. Of course it is the start of the learning process, not the end.

etbadger

Adventurer
I've found "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough a very good read for actually riding in traffic and practical advise. I commuted daily, all year round, on a motorcycle in Seattle traffic for a number of years and there area a lot of things you need to learn somehow beyond MSF instruction to survive.

-e

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I've found "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough a very good read for actually riding in traffic and practical advise. I commuted daily, all year round, on a motorcycle in Seattle traffic for a number of years and there area a lot of things you need to learn somehow beyond MSF instruction to survive.

-e

Well said

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
I've never ridden a motorcycle before. I want to take a weekend class and get my license. Is the class enough to learn how to ride one or should I get a bike and practice before I take a class?

The MSF class assumes you've never sat on a bike before so you'll be fine if you don't get a bike and practice beforehand.

As was said, the real learning -- and fun -- begins after you get your license and motorcycle and venture out into the wild streets.

The odd thing about this whole motorcycling learning adventure was, for me anyway, that at first I didn't know what I didn't know. It was really hard to make an informed decision about anything without blindly accepting the advice of others. A couple of years later its pretty obvious that all that advice (even the contradictory "what bike" suggestions) is generally right enough to get one safely off the internet and onto the saddle. Its all part of the fun... :)

Cheers,
Graham

Gatordoc

Adventurer
Having recently started riding myself, I'll echo what everyone else has said regarding te MSF Basic Rider's Course. It teaches you just enough to get up on two wheels and get your license, but that's about it. You will really start learning to ride once you have a bike and get out on the road. I was apprehensive about that since I was (still am) venturing out on the road in Southern California as a beginner, but it wasn't as bad as I had convinced myself. I simply started by going out on the less travelled streets during low-traffic times to get my feet wet.

I am taking the MSF Experience Riders Course Skills Plus class in two weeks, I can't recommend it yet since I haven't been yet, but I suspect I will once complete. It never hurts to keep learning.

Oni

Adventurer
My .02

Take the course!

Get a small used dirt bike (like a Honda CR230F, small XR, small Suzuki DR or similar) or a small dual sport and ride in the dirt. Even a big vacant dirt lot. You will learn much more in the dirt than the street. You can practice your basic skills without worrying about getting run over. A small bike is much easier to learn with, you will not be intimidated by the size, power and weight of a bigger bike. Once you feel comfortable, you can sell it and move up.

In the dirt you will not have 100% traction, the tires will slip and slide, you will learn about throttle control, good brake modulation and WILL fall over. Once you don't vapor lock when the bike moves around, and you can shift, brake and accelerate without thinking about it...venture out into the street.

I have seen more than a few guys with only street experience and a few years under their belt freeze up when a tire slips in a corner...running wide and into the dirt and crashing. They all said when the tire slid they froze up and basically just went straight in panic mode. Either that....or a locked back brake followed by a trip off the pavement.

With some dirt experience you will learn that a slip here, a slide there is not the end of the world and you should be able to ride it out much better than a rider who never experienced that before.

I started on dual sports (street legal off road bikes), went to dirt bikes, then street bikes, and now back on dual sports. Dual sports are VERY fun and very versatile. It won't cost you hundreds to thousands of dollars if you fall over on one either.

You might see if Honda has a rider education facility near you too. I sent my wife to a beginner class. They had all the gear, the bikes and quality instructors. She had a great time and learned a lot.

She is ready to tool around in the dirt, but I would not let her ride in the street. She is too busy thinking about the bike, shifting, braking, clutch with left hand, brake right foot and all that stuff that is new to her to be paying enough attention to traffic, cars and everything you need to, to survive riding on the street.

Good luck, have fun and get the best safety gear you can afford. :victory::bike_rider:

Last edited:

JRhetts

Adventurer
+1 on Oni's post above

I rode a little 30 years ago, bicycles in between. The weekend course gave me what I needed to go out and log some miles (along with the legal license).

I did dump on the dirt - watched the obstacle instead of where I wanted to go; looked up and was right in front of a tree; panicked and hit only the front brake and went upside down.

No major damage and I am back riding dirt and pavement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998