LED Flashlight Mod

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Hi all,

Im constantly farkin' around with LED's...I'm kinda of addicted to modding with them. The draw is of course is the little power usage, coupled with some pretty bright beams.

One of my favorites was to take my Dewalt 14.4 flashlight and a Vulcan 12v Fireman type flashlight. The Dewalt came with some kit I bought and removed the standard bulb then installed an LED module.

I took the ol' handy dandy Dremel cut off wheel and enlarged the opening at the rear of the chrome reflector big enough for the module to fit snuggly. Next I took the leads to the existing wiring and connected them to leads off the module (remember that positive and negitive HAVE to be correct on an LED or it will not light). After that I made sure the back of the module made good contact with the tension spring and WHA-LAA..Let there be light!!

Here's a few pics. The standard bulb would run about 3-4 hours on a good charge. This will run about 24-30 hours, and no batteries to throw out, based on the extended run times. These are the same modules I used for back up lights on my trailer....small, compact, great beam and reasonably priced for what you get.

Here's the link for the LED modules!

http://www.oznium.com/high-intensity-led-spotlight

Attachments

• led1.jpg
    led1.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 244
  • LEDmod3.jpg
    LEDmod3.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 224
  • LEDmode1.jpg
    LEDmode1.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 212

Yudda

Adventurer
Great Idea ! What about mounting 4 or 6 of them to a metal projectbox....maybe some industrial velcro....and use it with a Battery booster pack........PORTABLE FLOOD LIGHTING !!!! i would think it would have a super-long runtime....and not be that expensive compared to the factory made versions costing hundreds....obviously its not for running....It would be for Camp site use, emergencies etc.

Ive also been thinking about using the wide flood Ozniums for extra backup lights.....I live in the hills....and I thought it would help when backing down my twisty driveway.

If i can ask, Why did you use spots instead of wides ?

I personally used a red Oznium Piranha Bar as a 3rd Brake Light on my Defender 110.

a little silicone sealant on the ends and its waterproof.

I used it because of the size i need for my rear door...but it was also a hell of alot cheaper than the purpose made brake light....and its FKN bright !

i also used one red and one white LED pod from Oznium to MOD my Hella Map lights. Whole new level of light !

most importantly....it was so simple.......i did it.

again good job and thanks for the INSPIRATION,

rob

Yudda

Adventurer
Dude...i just checked out your trailer build.

Hero Status in my book !

Fine build.

rob

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Hey Rob,

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I'm glad you enjoyed the build thread...I only work with what the others have layed in front of me......needless to say I've been blessed in many ways with ideas from peeps that are waaaaaaaaaay more talented then I could hope to be on my BEST day!!

I love the idea of "Portable Floodlighting"...lol

"Great minds think alike".....:victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan