LED Headlights

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
I'm always interested in getting more light out of existing housings for this reason: Scott & Jeremy have you noticed any cooling issues with the lightforce lights possibly diverting the air stream away from the grill?

HarryT

Adventurer
I wonder why someone puts 200 mile per hour lights on a 80 mile per hour vehicle. They do look cool.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Exactly. These lights were originally designed for military H1s to allow individual LED to be shot-out, but the rest of the light to continue to function.
Hard to tell from the photos, looked like a single front element. But from your description it sounds like they are multiple lenses, then? That would be nice, I lose a light lens to a rock chip about once every other year or so (between two headlights and two aux lights). But I run Hella 9003/H4 housings and so I usually patch the chipped and cracked lens with epoxy and seal with silicone, which is a nice advantage of H4-type housings over sealed beams, in that they can be repaired and continue to function in that stated for a while more. Usually it's until the next winter when a water intrusion leading to ice/heat combination causes it to finally shatter. But if these LED housings are half a dozen individual lenses where each is not effected by a crack in one, that would a very nice feature.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Had the chance to put my hands on a set of these and meet the owner this past weekend, definitely a killer product :cool:

They will have LED auxillary lights out in the coming weeks :cool:

jesusgatos

Explorer
They're still pretty expensive for the 24-volt version too. I would have thought that with the amount of lights the military must buy, that they'd be less esspensive. Not so much...

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Hard to tell from the photos, looked like a single front element. But from your description it sounds like they are multiple lenses, then? That would be nice, I lose a light lens to a rock chip about once every other year or so (between two headlights and two aux lights). But I run Hella 9003/H4 housings and so I usually patch the chipped and cracked lens with epoxy and seal with silicone, which is a nice advantage of H4-type housings over sealed beams, in that they can be repaired and continue to function in that stated for a while more. Usually it's until the next winter when a water intrusion leading to ice/heat combination causes it to finally shatter. But if these LED housings are half a dozen individual lenses where each is not effected by a crack in one, that would a very nice feature.

They are multiple, a total of 10 LEDs per lamp to be exact. We performed some testing on these lights on a LR D-90 that had Hella H-4s on it. The difference was quite significant. We will be doing some field testing in the next two weeks and will report back here.

Look for these lights soon in the AT product line-up.

Attachments

• TL & Hella low 1.jpg
    TL & Hella low 1.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 223
  • TL & Hella low 2.jpg
    TL & Hella low 2.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 169
  • Hella hi at 14'.jpg
    Hella hi at 14'.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 171
  • TL hi at 14'.jpg
    TL hi at 14'.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 179
  • TL D-90 install.jpg
    TL D-90 install.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 169

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
They are multiple, a total of 10 LEDs per lamp to be exact. We performed some testing on these lights on a LR D-90 that had Hella H-4s on it. The difference was quite significant. We will be doing some field testing in the next two weeks and will report back here.
I can see that there are multiple LEDs. So if one is compromised, it does not affect the other 9?

I will be interested in seeing how they compare against a E-code H4 set up for sure. They look like they have a very cool temperature, which is a major reason why I would pass. Ultra cold blue or white does not necessarily equal more light, although it can lead to more eye fatigue. But each person's optimum color is different.

I personally prefer something well warmer than 4000K and usually nearer to 3500K is best. I run standard Euro-spec Osram or Narva H4 +50 halogens (i.e the European Osram Silverstars, which have clear glass) or sometimes the US-spec Osram/Sylvania 9003XV (i.e. Xtra Vision 9003 55/60), these types of bulbs typically come in around 3200K to 3500K and I personally much prefer the yellowish light.

Plus I will be interested to see if they really put more light down. They are surely going to seem brighter, but that does not mean they are focused well and actually put light down the road. The measurement of lumen is just produced light intensity and I'm sure these will be high, but when measuring usable light the lux or foot-candles and some idea of the area covered are more important than the pure lumen that a bulb produces. Lux is lumen per sq. meter and obviously tells you about the bulb intensity and lens focus.

FWIW, the Osram +50 Euro H4 70/65 produces about 1750 lumen. The other nice thing about H4 style housings is you can shop around and find the one that meets your needs, Hella Vision Plus H4 (E-code), Hella DOT approved Vision Plus, IPF, etc. They all have a little different pattern, some more uniform than the others, better high beam, etc.

I don't care much for sealed beam bulbs because they don't allow you choice on beam style and bulb specs, so it seems going to these LED lights puts you right back at square one, you only get what color temp, developed intensity and lenses they decide to package together.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
I have been switching over to LED on all my other lights on my truck and love the fact that with LED's the energy draw is significantly less, Trucklite looks like a great product but until the price drops quite a bit it will be a long time before I will get my hands on a set, of lights:sombrero:

overlander

Expedition Leader
I took this picture last week in Kuwait. I was surprised, after having just read about these LED headlights in OJ for the first time a month ago, and I get over here, and the military is already putting these in all the HUMMV's in the Iraq theater. I'm in Baghdad now, and they all have them here too. Even the MRAP's have them. It's also cool that half the light can be lit for low beam. The military is fully onboard with this light.

3490764426_804a1af306_b.jpg

Mayne

Explorer
I can't find anywhere that states a DOT approval for these. Does anybody know? It would be a consideration when talking to a CHP officer about why he thinks the headlights on the rig are leagal or not.
Not trying to be a bummer, just want to know before adding them to my wish list.

Mayne

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I can't find anywhere that states a DOT approval for these. Does anybody know? It would be a consideration when talking to a CHP officer about why he thinks the headlights on the rig are leagal or not.
Not trying to be a bummer, just want to know before adding them to my wish list.

Mayne

DOT approved.

You know us, we go by the book.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78