LED Light Bars; Post Up Pics

D45

Explorer
My wireless harness arrived today

Hopefully this weekend I can get around to installing the bar and the harness

I will report back with pictures

D45

Explorer
Wireless kit arrived.........it looks nice, just will do some minor upgrades with it, that will help keep things water tight

Hope to do the complete install this weekend

Watch this video, it shows how the bar is programmable and it able to have a few added lighting "features"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZn4qW6fRP8

The bar fits and looks great.........kudos to Trail Worthy Fab

IMG_20141110_131824_654_zpsllkbn4ke.jpg

IMG_20141119_202910_032_zps3b9hzo5m.jpg

IMG_20141119_202923_301_zpskumb2rfs.jpg

IMG_20141119_202959_226_zpsnrzpqvum.jpg

IMG_20141119_203003_065_zpsuw3pshhk.jpg

IMG_20141119_203105_821_zpsgikikybl.jpg

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Henry J, how do you like them?
I am in process of making brackets for the "A" pillars.
They have quite a bit of a spread. Lots of stray light to the sides. The 30 degree beam is a bit of an exageration if you are looking for a spot.

LED3.jpg

Moving to the new front bumper I lost the factory fog lights I have in the lower bumper. My intent with these was to replace some of that loss. In my case I needed the sides illuminated better and these do that. A nice fill for my set-up.

HIR Low beam - HIR Low Beam + LED spots - High Beam + HIR Low Beam + LED spots
lightsnled.jpg

Night shots:

These LED spots to not have the reach of my HID lights. They do fill nicely as I said. Too white for good contrast in fog without glare. All that said...I like them. Very useful as area lighting. Much better to watch for Deer on a dark highway. Nice color for night driving. Price is good :)

I am not a fan of lights mounted above the hood. I have done it and found the glare on the hood to be annoying. The efforts to correct that were not worth the time, IMO. That is just me and my experience. I suspect that the beam on these would have too much stray light for an A pillar mount. A true spot might be a better choice and offer less glare? Just FYI.

Sin

Thanks for all that insight Henry J! All opinions are welcome!

Since I can't find any pics online on Silverado A Pillar mounts to compare, this will be trial and error. I currently have 5000k 55w HID high beams, 9005 High Beam bulbs in my low's, high 4-mod and 6000k 35w HID's in 6" offroad lights. As far as the glare off of the hood, I'll probably satin black the hood or just aim them out to the sides more. We shall see...

Thanks, been searching Kawell lights since you mentioned them. Did you use a relay to wiring them up? I love the instant-on of LED's over Hid's.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
...been searching Kawell lights since you mentioned them. Did you use a relay to wiring them up? I love the instant-on of LED's over Hid's.
I too like the instant on and low amperage draw.
Mine replaced the factory fog lights in my truck, so I used the factory fog light wiring and switch. I found these on ebay: 2pcs Universal 9006/9005 HB4 Male Headlight Light Socket $3.99

2215105483434040_2.jpg

That made my lights plug-n-play :) I added diodes so that I can have all lights on high. That way the fog lights can be used with the high beams. Works great.

The warming period for my HID offroad lights has never bothered me. Those things sure do reach out! Nice light 1/2 mile out for highspeed night driving.

I really like the Toshiba HIR bulbs ( Finemotoring.com ) for my highbeams. Should have bought more when they were available, but this set has been serving me well.
9006 - 55 watts - 1000 lumens
9005 - 65 watts - 1700 lumens

9012 HIR- 55 watts - 1870 lumens
9011 HIR- 65 watts - 2350 lumens
The 9005 has nearly the same light output as the 9012 HIR bulb for the lowbeams so I use those in that position.
I have been thinking about HID headlamps, but still have a little research to do. I think I may need to move to a projector headlamp assembly to "do it right."

Best bang for the buck is to make sure you are getting the correct voltage to the bulb when working with the Halogen and HIR bulbs. an alternator upgrade, and or wiring upgrade can make a huge difference. LED with their low consumption demands makes it easier on that front :)

Last edited:

Sin

fyi, and sort of off topic, you can get instant on hid systems now too.
Yes I've seen that, just waiting till my current set up takes a dump before getting those haha

I am also running 4.5" round LED fog lights in my bumper, from Snevey Offroad
Got any pics?

I too like the instant on and low amperage draw.

The warming period for my HID offroad lights has never bothered me. Those things sure do reach out! Nice light 1/2 mile out for highspeed night driving.

I really like the Toshiba HIR bulbs ( Finemotoring.com ) for my highbeams. Should have bought more when they were available, but this set has been serving me well.
9006 - 55 watts - 1000 lumens
9005 - 65 watts - 1700 lumens

9012 HIR- 55 watts - 1870 lumens
9011 HIR- 65 watts - 2350 lumens
The 9005 has nearly the same light output as the 9012 HIR bulb for the lowbeams so I use those in that position.
I have been thinking about HID headlamps, but still have a little research to do. I think I may need to move to a projector headlamp assembly to "do it right."

Best bang for the buck is to make sure you are getting the correct voltage to the bulb when working with the Halogen and HIR bulbs. an alternator upgrade, and or wiring upgrade can make a huge difference. LED with their low consumption demands makes it easier on that front :)

I've never seen those HIR bulbs, I'll check into them!

As far as HID's in the low beams, yes! I would run Acura TSX projectors or maybe Morimoto's. I've been lurking on HIDplanet forum for awhile now, some of those guys do amazing work! But I run 55w 6k in my high beams only, the lows are just modified stock high beam bulbs. You have to grind out the tabs inside and cut the "3" wings the get them to seat properly in the headlights. They don't blast oncoming drivers like HID's would in non-retrofitted headlights.

And my 140a upgraded alternator just took a dump recently, running a stock 105a right now. But I will be doing the "Big 3" wiring upgrade soon, as well as another HO alt.

D45

Explorer
I used to run PIAA 510 Ion Crystal Fogs in my bumper

lights_zps0ed20a28.png

These were swapped, in place of my PIAA 510 Fogs

https://sneveysoffroad.com/shop/highlander-black-ops-4-5-pods/

7 5W CREE LEDs
4.5”
Flood, Spot optional
Raw lumen: 5000 lm
9-32V
Aluminum casting
Clear Optics PC lens
Operation Temp: -40˚C-150˚C
IP 68
2 Year Warranty

Good price, perfect size.......and GREAT lumen rating!!!!!!!!

IMG_20140403_170826_006-1_zpsiwd2bkkg.jpg

Ummmm a tad bright!!!

IMG_20140403_170742_715-2_zpsezkymcq7.jpg

IMG_20140403_170731_931_zps4ata16ch.jpg

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
Here's my JKUR with Jeep light bar, Rigid Lights (20" and Duallys - 2 clear and 2 amber - middle two) plus one Dually (clear) mounted alongisde each A pillar in front of the mirrors (on KC Hilites brackets).

Note that the A pillar lights look distorted but they're just like the other Rigid Duallys.

Attachments

• LED lightbar close-up 03.jpg
    LED lightbar close-up 03.jpg
    528.3 KB · Views: 37

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
... my 140a upgraded alternator just took a dump recently...
I had my 140A take a dump too. I up graded to a 250 amp from righttoolusa.com . The first one they sent had the wrong regulator. That was corrected pretty painlessly. Made an improvement for sure. Filled the need and no voltage drops when pushed as I had been suffering before. The GM alternators are pretty reasonably priced. Good place to spend a few bucks when the time is right :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger