Legroom in a Chevy van for the driver?

The Yellow Dart

Hi everyone -

if this has been answered elsewhere, please let me know.

I’ve been looking at a lot of Chevy vans (1997-2006) in the 1500/2500 range, and they are all really tight on legroom for the driver. I’m 6’-4” tall.

Are there any solutions to extend the legroom on one of these vans? I found one I’d like to get, but driving it was so uncomfortable because my knees are jammed into the steering column/underside of the dash. This one is open behind the driver’s seat to the first passenger bench. Which will eventually be removed. I had to keep my left knee pinned to the door or tucked under my right leg just to drive it. The InterWebz have not been helpful.

Thanks!

UHAULER

Explorer
I don't think there is much you can do. That is just the nature of vans, trying to put the driver between the engine and front fender well. I think if you moved the seat back and/or up, the steering wheel will be too far away.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I don’t think the leg room is that bad in those vans. I’m the same height, 36” inseam, never had an issue in those vans

Willsfree

Right foot on the throttle is pushed inboard toward drivers centerline from jutting doghouse. I use cruise control so I can rest right foot mostly flat, heal tucked to seat base; fairly comfortable for multi hour drive period. 32+ inseam here.

Choff

Adventurer
6'-1" and have been driving Chev and GMC vans for a long time, on my 5th van, lots of miles and no problem with room. Just use Cruise alot

The Yellow Dart

Thanks for the replies, everyone! Really appreciate the insights.

I should add that for me, it’s not so much the right leg (although the doghouse isn’t the best feeling and I find the pedals a little close together for my size 14 clown shoes), but I have left knee issues which make jamming it in against the door and the short legroom to the floor kind of problematic.

I may still go ahead with the purchase anyways. Hard enough to find a 4x4 van, I don’t need to be complaining about comforts on top of it.

1000arms

... I should add that for me, it’s not so much the right leg (although the doghouse isn’t the best feeling and I find the pedals a little close together for my size 14 clown shoes), but I have left knee issues which make jamming it in against the door and the short legroom to the floor kind of problematic.

I may still go ahead with the purchase anyways. Hard enough to find a 4x4 van, I don’t need to be complaining about comforts on top of it.
Comfort and/or safety issue? Muscle cramps might become a dangerous distraction while trying to pull over in a hurry due to muscle cramps. If the left leg can't activate the parking brake and the right leg can't either because the left leg is in the way, a main-brakes failure might become even more serious.

Would there be enough headroom for you to install an adjustable height seat and still be able to safely see?

Last edited:

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
When I hear about these vans with manual transmissions I wonder how. I can't imagine having another peddle crammed in there. I've gotten used to driving with my left leg up on the fenderwell.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
A swivel raises the seat a few inches. The floor is totally flat, it would be stupid simple to move the base back a few inches if needed.

I’m 5’9” and I find my ‘98 2500 Express to be very comfortable for long distance driving. It would probably be my only vehicle if I didn’t need a 3/4 ton 4x4 most of the time. I would rather take the Express than my Suburban most of the time…

Hackopotomus

Observer
It should be quite simple to fabricate new mounts to allow the driver's seat to move farther back. Any decent custom shop should be able to accomplish this.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
It should be quite simple to fabricate new mounts to allow the driver's seat to move farther back. Any decent custom shop should be able to accomplish this.

I don’t think you’d have to fabricate anything. Just unbolt the seat, drill a few holes, and move it back however far you want. The floor is literally flat all the way to the back doors…

sackettmw

I'm 6'-4" with size 15s and my 06 Savana is comfortable to me. I'm also used to driving vans and also own an Astro that I'm also not uncomfortable in so maybe its just me.

A 1997 and a 2006 have a different doghouse and footwell shape. 03 up style is a little more room.

I typically use cruise control on the highway and find that in a van you have room to move your feet around to different positions with cruise on long trips. I also wear minimal shoes to give more footroom when I drive.

I've never felt the need to relocate the seat but if that's what it takes to get comfortable its easy enough to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan