Let's petition ARB to make snorkels for the '05+ Tacos :)

asteffes

Explorer
UncleChris and I were talking about snorkels for the '05+ Tacomas. Rather, the lack of snorkels for them. Turns out ARB has no plans right now to produce any as they don't perceive much demand for them. I'm wondering if we could put together a little petition of sorts to express our interest in such a product. Would any owners of 2005+ model year Tacomas like to see ARB offer a snorkel kit for our trucks? If so, post here and we can compile a list to send them.

Of course, the list probably won't grow that long without tapping the membership of TTORA and similar groups, but we have to start somewhere. :)

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I'de like to see them made too... but you have to realize ARB's position. I honestly have had very few sales calls for a late Taco snorkel. In some cases it has taken Safari Snorkel (the manufacture) several years to come out with a snorkel, in some case they never even make one (FJ55's for example).

UncleChris

Adventurer
I am wondering if the 05 Taco is being sold in Australia.

I am guessing that Australia and other international sales is one of the primary drivers of snorkel production.

A few months ago I looked on the Toyota Australia website and I saw the HiLux, which appears to be different than the Taco.

Either that OR we could make our own. When I had the Sammy I made a snorkel out of PVC pipe I got at Home Depot.

Well, my Sammy was kind of a kluge, so it looked OK.......

cruiseroutfit

UncleChris said:
I am wondering if the 05 Taco is being sold in Australia.

I am guessing that Australia and other international sales is one of the primary drivers of snorkel production.

A few months ago I looked on the Toyota Australia website and I saw the HiLux, which appears to be different than the Taco....

That is a HUGE factor... I was thinking they were NOT made overseas in that configuration also. I don't know percentages, but when you look at what a small market the Tacoma crowd is, and then factor that with US sales only...

PS, you would need to convince Safari Snorkel to make them, not ARB ;)

asteffes

Explorer
For some unknown reason I thought ARB owned Safari Snorkel, or that Safari Snorkel was an ARB brand.

Perhaps if they offer one for the new 4Runner it would be interesting to try fitting one to a Taco. A few people did that with ARB bumpers with positive results.

cruiseroutfit

asteffes said:
For some unknown reason I thought ARB owned Safari Snorkel, or that Safari Snorkel was an ARB brand.

I'm pretty sure ARBUSA (where every retailer in the US/N & S. America get their parts) is the sole distributor in the NA/SA markets for the Safari Snorkel products. But I'm not sure their is any ownership of the company? I'll ask next time I am on the ringer with ARB.

asteffes said:
Perhaps if they offer one for the new 4Runner it would be interesting to try fitting one to a Taco. A few people did that with ARB bumpers with positive results.

That is very possible... happens quite a bit. I recently sold Andre (dieselcruiserhead) an 70 Series snorkel that he slightly modified to fit his 55 Series, looked OE :cool:

As you mentioned several people (several here in Utah at least) used 4Runner bumpers on the Taco, Prado/Runner suspension on the FJ, etc. Possible, but costly to investigate...

I'm glad to hear of more and more 05' Taco owners looking to modify, as I mentioned I have had less sales calls on the Taco versus other similar new vehicle introductions (FJ Cruiser for example), and when they produce more of the Taco (and its been around a year now), that leads me to beleive the market for aftermarket parts isn't really strong.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
As far as I know the Aussie verion of the Taco is now really the same truck. It has a slgihtly different front end but in reguards to suspension and drivtrain they are the same. This maybe the hold up since the fenders are different on the non us hilux and they would need to create a snorkel specifically for the U.S. model.

Of course they also have a diesel option down there.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Nullifier said:
As far as I know the Aussie verion of the Taco is now really the same truck. It has a slgihtly different front end but in reguards to suspension and drivtrain they are the same. This maybe the hold up since the fenders are different on the non us hilux and they would need to create a snorkel specifically for the U.S. model.

Of course they also have a diesel option down there.

I'm not sure that the Taco and Hilux are the same truck. The new Hilux is based on Toyota's IMV (International Multipurpose Vehicle) platform. Other vehicles based on this are the Fortuner and a minivan. The IMV is for vehicles destined for Europe, Asia, South America, Middle East and Africa. Basically most places outside of Japan and North America as I understand it. The new Tacoma shares things like suspension and gasoline engine designs with the IMV Hilux, but they are not one in the same.

Even if they are closely related mechanically, the bodies are different enough to tell them apart. Certainly the size and profile of the fenders are pretty different. I'd guess a snorkel for a Hilux would be too short and probably not thick enough to trim to fit a Taco. Maybe the Prado or 4Runner snorkel would be the best option.

7631.jpg

photo_6.jpg

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
DaveInDenver said:
I'm not sure that the Taco and Hilux are the same truck. The new Hilux is based on Toyota's IMV (International Multipurpose Vehicle) platform. Other vehicles based on this are the Fortuner and a minivan. The IMV is for vehicles destined for Europe, Asia, South America, Middle East and Africa. Basically most places outside of Japan and North America as I understand it. The new Tacoma shares things like suspension and gasoline engine designs with the IMV Hilux, but they are not one in the same.

Even if they are closely related mechanically, the bodies are different enough to tell them apart. Certainly the size and profile of the fenders are pretty different. I'd guess a snorkel for a Hilux would be too short and probably not thick enough to trim to fit a Taco. Maybe the Prado or 4Runner snorkel would be the best option.

7631.jpg

photo_6.jpg

I guess what I was really trying to say is that they are closer then they have been in a long time but are not the same. Since the Hilux truck have a different body they will most likely make one for the Hilux do to the shear numbers that will be sold world wide. However since the Tacoma is a N.A. thing the #'s will be significantly less and most will never see real offroad usage or atleast for a long time.

They are runing the same suspension and drivetrain now where as up until 05 the Hilux was still running a torsion bar set up on in the front. When I was down in OZ last year ,the guys at the 4x4 shop I stopped at were a little concerned about the new suspension but I gave them the info on doahoe and racerunner. They were prett stoked to know that the stuff they needed was already available and proven. I think there big concern was that it would be like the UZL 100 landcruiser which are having big problems in Australia with suspension faliure do to design. Aparently the way it is set up the top of the suspension fals with hard use on coragated roads. Obviously at high speeds this is a major issue.

Of course had they actually brought that body into the U.S. I do not think they would have sold any less of them and would finally be in a position to have a true world wide vehicle. I mean from a style perspective I think they both look equaly good.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I have sent them an email as well. Everyone should take a minute and send them one, we need fire support! :ar15:

Last edited:

UncleChris

Adventurer
I took a look at my engine compartment today and it probably would not be to hard to fabricate an H1 type snorkel going through the hood.

The air filter is on the passenger side of that blob on top of the engine, and there is a duct that goes up to the right front fender

Kind of like this;
http://www.redhummer.com/myhummer/airscoop/N0298034.jpg

Any volunteers????I got the sawzall and we can get tubing from Home Depot

PS-Scott, we really need the hacksaw smilie like they have over on TTORA.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
06 Hilux Snorkel

This was taken at a recent off road expo in Germany...
Thanks to tacosupreme over on TTORA for the pic.
This is an 06 diesel Hilux so it wont fit the 1GR-FE but it IS similar to what one for the tacoma would look like ;)
The A-pillar angle is identical as the cab is the same as ours.

hiluxsnorkel.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179