Lets see some full size pictures...

Easternshoreman

I posted this in the full size ford thread, but i'm reposting it here to hope fully get a little more insight from non ford drivers as well

I have a few questions for all the crew cab long bed owners. Do you have any complaints about driving off road with a truck that long? I know they are more likely to bottom out because of the length, but is there any other issues besides that that you have found?

Also, If you were going to get a new truck would you go with a crew cab long bed again or would you go with the short bed?

I'm asking because i plan on starting the build of my 2000 crew cab short bed F-250 and because it has 331,000+ miles on it, i know i'm going to replace it in the next few years. I'm going to buy another 7.3L when it comes time for a new truck, because i really like how durable and primitive it is compared to newer diesels. I also want the same year truck so whatever i put on my truck now I can transfer is over to the newer truck when that time comes. I do like my crew cab short bed, but my concern is whether to go with the long bed for the added storage space or stay with the short bed for a little better maneuverability. And I want to get a contractors style cap for my truck but i'm torn on getting one for a short bed and risk wanting a long bed in the future, and have to spend more money to get a new cap and whatever else I may buy that would fit a short bed and not a long bed truck.

Your opinions and insight would be greatly appreciated!

swamp_beast

unless your doing alot of very tight technical trails i see no problem with a crew cab long bed i use a crew cab with a 12 ft flat bed for work all the time only time that its been an issue is tighter corners and i have to watch the break over angles alot more closely by the way mine is a all stock f350 on 255 85 tires. i find the longer heavier trucks perform better on skinny tires. as for buying another i would because i need the space if i didnt need so much cargo room i would probably opt for the short bed for easier manuverability ion road more than offroad

Last edited:

Easternshoreman

I plan on putting a 2 inch lift on the truck i get next so i can run 35's so that extra height should help. I don't plan on rock crawling with it but I do plan on going on stuff that isn't a nice graded road that could possibly be a little technical

swamp_beast

id say you should be ok with a short bed. if you need a bit more space remember there is always roof racks but missing 2 ft would make a huge difference in maneuverability especially in those pesky parking lots but if you really want the extra cargo space a crew cab long bed is fully capable of doing what you wish just takes a bit more effort in picking the right lines. so in the long run my opinion is unless you plan on running a bed mounted camper or you do something that absolutely requires the long box i think in the long run you would be best off with the short bed also remember even if you trade up to the long bed later its not hard to find used contractor caps for long bed trucks because there are tons of large construction companies using long beds in their fleets in fact id venture to say it would be easier to find one for a long bed than a short bed

Last edited:

DruiD

Birth of another overlander.

2013-03-08_16-33-26_51-XL.jpg

98.5 Dodge Ram 2500, 24v Cummins Quadzilla tuned 4" t-back, 1ton rear springs/ 2" coil lift and ride rites with Bilstein 5100's, 285/75R16 Cooper Discoverer STT's on Ion Alloy wheels, '04 Northstar TC800.

It's a work in progress. We've completed quite a few projects on the truck that I've picked up on ExPo. Rebuilt the crushed seats and replaced rear wheel cylinders with the GM 1ton ones, for example.

Last edited:

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
I plan on putting a 2 inch lift on the truck i get next so i can run 35's so that extra height should help. I don't plan on rock crawling with it but I do plan on going on stuff that isn't a nice graded road that could possibly be a little technical

My '99 7.3 runs a 4" lift and 35s. She'll take me where ever she fits. Mine is a short bed. I'm retired Army, so I'm not working the truck at a job site. I love the short bed, but with the crew cab, even it is long in places like parking lots. Unless you really need a lot of cargo room, I'd just build up your short bed. Given that it's not rusting away. I started with a rust free truck, so I got no problem throwing money at it to fix her up. New engine, new trans, lift, camper shell, saving for air lockers now... Start with what you got, and make her what you want...

gypsybarber

Cuttin and Travelling
Old school Dually Diesel "The Rino"

Thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Jason, I'm from Oregon, and we run a 1985 GMC k3500 3+3 utility bed. It's old and ugly, but it's got room for all my stuff to be locked and out of the weather, and room for the family plus some. It has a venerable (arguably) 6.2l na Detroit Diesel. Everything is mechanical, no electronics to die in the middle of nowhere (important if you've ever been dumped in the middle of nowhere because a sensor took a ****. I have) and it's a 1 ton so when running empty it's tough as a rhinoceros (drives like you are riding one too, lol hence the name). The boxes are big enough for all my necessary tools for repairs on the road as well as non-perishable foodstuffs and all my camping gear with room to spare. When we are on a trip we have a canopy (off at the moment because we will be pulling the 5th wheel soon) that is weatherized and insulated and sealed. The canopy is set up with a propane light and heater with room in one of the boxes for a 5 gallon tank. (I just remove the lines and plug the holes when not in use). We lay plywood and a mattress in the floor of the bed for us and a piece of plywood crosswise on the bedrails in the front with a mattress for our girls, sleeping 4 with relative comfort. With the vent open a little for ventilation, we stay toasty warm, albeit a little snug. This setup allows us to have everything we need and still get nearly 16 mpg hwy mileage. Not gimmicky or tacticool, but it sure does the trick for us. Simplistic and rugged. The silver package on the motor is tamales heating up for lunch btw :) why waste all that heat?

Attachments

• IMG_20130309_131218_413.jpg
    IMG_20130309_131218_413.jpg
    572.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20130309_131250_233.jpg
    IMG_20130309_131250_233.jpg
    580.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20130309_131303_573.jpg
    IMG_20130309_131303_573.jpg
    519.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20130309_131327_119.jpg
    IMG_20130309_131327_119.jpg
    541.4 KB · Views: 28

swamp_beast

love the old crew cab dually. looks alot like one a buddy owned back when i lived in oregon. by the way what part of the willamete valley? i used to live in donald down near champoeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger