Lets see some full size pictures...

JayBuller

Well i used 2x4 rectangle tube for the frame, used diamond steel decking for the deck and back end and used 1x3 rectangle tube for the headake rack. All welded together with 7018 rods. Pretty stout bed and not a whole lot heavier than the stock bed it replaced. I've made a few flatbeds for various trucks over the years. I prefer them in an off road rig due to not being able to hurt them. And they don't hang up as easy on stuff. It costs about 350 dollars in steel about 20 dollars into chopsaw blades and 40 dollars or so into rods. Then about 50 dollars into tai lights out back

boellis87

Observer
Here are a few of mine. I'm just now getting him into proper form after turning into an overly-extended project.

It's been a while since I've posted anything, but the truck's on the site elsewhere.

Future plans that pertain to backcountry travel are a removable bed cap of my own design and construction with a sleeping platform and storage for various camping supplies and equipment. My intention is for it to be light (relatively speaking) and easy to pack and unpack as I plan to drive it daily and play in some local trail areas as well.

The drivetrain will get some more attention in the future, and bumpers and a winch are must-do's as well. My list is neverending it seems, just like everybody else's :sombrero:

boellis87

Observer
Yes sir! Out of an 03 Ford F-350 SRW. That means it has the metric bolt pattern and unit bearings, so I want to get rid of the unit bearings some day and convert to the old rebuildable spindle design and properly change over to the 8 on 6.5 bolt pattern. I've got aluminum adapters on there now, but it spaces the wheels out farther than I'd like. I think it's dumb they ever went with metric myself, but just like so many things, it can all be changed with time and money :sombrero:

boellis87

Observer
I just read your thread on the plans for your rig. I like where you're planning to go. Can't wait to see it!

I think the low, stockish look is the way to go for what you're wanting to do. I am contemplating going lower with mine which is possible with the ORI's and a little reconfiguring out back, but I'm also weighing going with 37's in the future and just filling my fender wells out a little better. 37's are as big as I feel I can go and technically call it "streetable", and they would allow me to fulfill the dual purpose of some decent long-distance travel, while still being able to go play on the local trails with my friends and their huge rigs on 40"+ tires.

edit:

BTW, this
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/37105-95-2-Door-Tahoe-SAS-project?highlight=2-door+SAS

is AWESOME! Check it out for some good ideas. It's bigger than you're wanting to go, but everything is done right. Don't know if he's still on here much, but maybe you could bounce any questions off him if he is.

Good info to be had at any rate. Also, I WANT one very similar to it some day! IMO perfect execution of the body style and it's potential.

Last edited:

AZ Dean

Howdy all!

Been lurking here for a while, observing and learning from all of the great posts here. Just picked up a new (to me) full size, a 2003 F250 XLT 4x4 extra cab short bed with the 5.4 gas V8. It's completely stock except for slightly larger tires. Really like this truck. Has 108K on it and still runs like a new truck. Very impressed.

I have some ranch property in eastern Arizona and also like to explore and camp. I plan to make some mods to give the truck a little more off road capability as well as make it more durable and reliable.

9316585091_292d14c11e_b.jpg

jluck

Adventurer
Is there a routing issue with this thread? Domestic and full size right? I click and there has is Mini and Imports and a motorcycle...Am I missing something?:mixed-smiley-030:

noJeepshere

Adventurer
Is there a routing issue with this thread? Domestic and full size right? I click and there has is Mini and Imports and a motorcycle...Am I missing something?:mixed-smiley-030:

Quit your whining, guys post up some of their toys they play with besides their full-size gas suckers and your panties get all bunched up. I can see an issue if the thread is completely derailed for 20+ posts, but a few I'd nothing to worry about.

cent frum a smaert fone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78