Lets see some "set up" Regular Camper shells

Jimmeh

Think'n with me dipstick!
I think I posted this in my build thread, but have already scrapped the idea.

013-5.jpg

Decided it's just not enough for me to have a one man sleeping platform. That and it was a pain in the butt to get to the items at the front right corner. So, thinking up a new way to build it while the cap is off for the hunting season. Since I can't bow-hunt this year, I took the cap off in preparation for rifle season since we will be camped in an RV. It's a lot easier to throw a deer in the bed of the truck with the topper off.

tstege

Observer
tacoma utility shell camper

IMG_0639.jpgIMG_0641.jpgIMG_0644.jpgIMG_0647.jpgIMG_0308.jpgIMG_0642.jpg

My little desert/coastal camper sleeps 2 plus 2 dogs has a dual battery lots of headroom vent, windows, heater buddy, and light, plus a dual battery.

mkitchen

Explorer
Tstege, nice set up

You have a very nice setup. Very simple and functional. Do you have storage under the platforms and how high is the platform from the floor? Any other plans for the shell? The reason I ask is that I am in the process of building up my shell and it will be similar to yours but a bit higher since I have more room to work with.
Mikey

This is what I have to work with. I guess you could say that I have a bit of a blank canvas to begin with.

2cd71hu.jpg

tstege

Observer
I have a little room under the platform it fits my camp chairs, tie downs, jacks, snow shoes, boots, my dual battery, camp stove, and other little things. It is only 7 1/4" off the floor as I wanted max headroom and this setup does not sit on the wheel wells but flush with them. You could def. go a little higher I just wanted it to be high enough to make the entire thing flat so I had essentially a queen size bed.

When you insulate it get the sheets from home depot and they have a foam adhesive that you put in a caulking gun and they stick right it between the frame of the camper. You have similar curve lines on your roof so when you put the insulation in the corners there just score them every 1/2 or 3/4 inch almost all the way through and the insulation will make the curve on the roof line. IMG_0617.jpgIMG_0618.jpgIMG_0644.jpg

hopefully that makes sense. Another thing to remember is that the aluminum will still sweat a little bit so when you are laying the caulking down in lines make them top to bottom and do not close the beads off at the end this way there is airflow so condensation does not get trapped under the insulation and shower board.

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
this set up was cheap/quick and has served its purpose well. My main work truck is in the shop and i have been working(construction) out of this truck this week and its worked great.

Attachments

• photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    526.6 KB · Views: 171
  • photo 1(1).jpg
    photo 1(1).jpg
    568.2 KB · Views: 174
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    533.4 KB · Views: 188
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    524.1 KB · Views: 184
  • cookin.jpg
    cookin.jpg
    547.8 KB · Views: 190
  • canopy.jpg
    canopy.jpg
    559.1 KB · Views: 184

mkitchen

Explorer
Another question for Tstege

Thanks for the suggestions on insulation, I will put them to use. In addition to the insulation, what did you do for the inner skin? Hopefully it is something that can be pop riveted in.
Thanks
Mikey

tstege

Observer
Mikey, I think your referring to the gray shower board as inner skin? If so I used self tapping wide head finish screws into the frame material on the inside. I got the idea for shower board from a guy who does custom vans, stuff is awesome and easy to clean and work with. Cost about $20 for a 4x8 piece at home depot think I used 4 but worth it. I can wipe it all down and it does not form condensation like aluminum or smell like carpet. It also keeps it bright back there. Tyler

mkitchen

Explorer
Thanks for the heads up.

I like the looks and will be doing the same to mine. My outer skin is pretty beat up and I want to re-skin the outside. So when I do that, I will re-do the inside as well. The list of improvements is never ending.
Mikey

motorhead

Has anyone ever considered using a roll-up tonneau cover mounted lower in the box instead of a more permanent platform of wood or metal? There are ones that will hold someone standing on them, so why not add two rails that are suspended from the edge of the box and roll it in when you don't need it? I won't be in a position to look at the idea until I can swing a cummins to increase my fuel economy over my v6 Dak...

ripperj

Explorer
Motörhead, I had a Retrax brand roll up hard cover, the box that the cover rolls into is pretty deep, maybe 6" from the bed??? (going from memory) so you would not be able to lower it much.
Not sure if other brands are smaller, because it's an interesting idea(expensive tho)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78