Lets see the Expo Cruisers!

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Lowenbrau, sweet truck.

And Simon, you'll find that most of us here hold a large place in a herarts for 70 Series Cruisers made all that much worse by our not being able to have one... Even worse, I drove one extensively for 8 months in Australia and now I'm left with a deep longing for a troupy of my own.

Long story short, Awsome truck, now post some more pics!!!!!!!!! :victory: :yikes:

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for the props.

I have not really done much to it as yet to justify showing it off in more photos, and it doesn't really seem that special to me. Though I suppose the campervan conversion might interest some of you.

I have been hiring the same style campervan troopies for snowboarding holidays in New Zealand for the past 6 years or so, so I am pretty used to it.

I have lots of mods planned for it, to toughen it up and make it more suitable for backcountry snowboarding missions.

Will try and take some more photos of it's current state if you are really interested.

Next I am modding the bullbar to fit a pair of Lightforce XGT spotties in there, as the gap between the bars isn't high enough to fit them in, and will mount some IPF foglights at the same time, along with a couple of tabs to mount a UHF and mobile(cell) antenna. Then it is getting a 2" body lift in preparation for bigger rubber (either 35x12.5"-little$ or 38x15.5"-big$, have not decided yet), that's if the nearly worn out clutch doesn't need replacing first.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
SimonInAusstralia said:
I have not really done much to it as yet to justify showing it off in more photos, and it doesn't really seem that special to me. Though I suppose the campervan conversion might interest some of you.

Being modest I see. See, the thing is, we want what we can't get here in the States.

We want the Landcruiser 70 series.
We want turbo diesel.
We want the solid front axle.

I'll see if I can get some more shots of it over the weekend.

Here is a dodgy pic I put together to give me an idea of what some external mods might look like on the truck, and to give the metal fab guys an idea when I'm trying to tell them what I want them to make for me. It's just some photos of Lightforce spotties from the web pasted, and some lines drawn, on top of the photo, a quick initial mock up of the design, not refined yet...

Mod-Draft-Images.jpg

...plans are (it's going to take a while to be able to afford everything)...

Roof rack style (but with out the usual centre mesh basket) roof bar around the camper section, holding additional spotties on the front, rear and side work lights, long handled shovel, axe, high lift jack, maxtrax, reversing camera, etc.

Nice chunky rock sliders/side steps, integrated front and rear brush bars.

Rear bar with dual swing away spare wheel carriers and an electric winch. It will be joined to the rear brush bars and have additional rear quarter panel protection if needed.

I will mount a large vertical aluminium box on one side of the dual carriers in winter, to hold snowboards, snowshoes, hiking poles, and other wet gear such as snowchains (for all four wheels), maybe with room for a chainsaw as well (to deal with those fallen trees across the track behind my troopy in the photo) if that's not making the box too large and heavy.

I will have a diesel/electric campervan heater inside the camper, for heating the inside of the camper while parked overnight in winter. I might hook that up to the external box to provide a drying room for the wet gear, and also put a section inside the box, next to the snowboards, to dry wet snowboard jacket, pants, and boots. This would get most of the wet gear out the inside of the troopy, making it much more comfortable as a camper in winter.

Other changes planned that will affect the look of it are bigger tyres, 35x12.5 or 38x15.5 MTZ, on wider rims, 16x10 if I go with the 35's, 16x12 if it's the 38's, with 3.5" instead of the standard 4" backspace, to give a wider track.

I'll put some sort of 2" lifted coils/leaves on it, with longer travel shocks to suit the lift.

A 2" body lift will hopefully give enough clearance at full flex for the 35's with snowchains, without too much additional hassle. If I go the 38's I will be looking at coil spacers on the front and extended shackles on the rear, with extended bump stops, to give additional full flex clearance, plus some major guard chopping (tubbing?), and dropped radius arms, etc., etc., to make those work...much more expensive to go 38's compared to 35's, even the tyres are nearly twice the price.

Last edited:

CaliCruiser

Adventurer
Hey Lowenbrau,

How long have you had the h55f and 4.7 toybox setup? Have you had any issues during setup or while installed? I ask because I have the same setup and have one small issue with a leak coming from somewhere. . .

Dylan

lowenbrau

Explorer
CaliCruiser said:
Hey Lowenbrau,

How long have you had the h55f and 4.7 toybox setup? Have you had any issues during setup or while installed? I ask because I have the same setup and have one small issue with a leak coming from somewhere. . .

Dylan

They tell me I've bought more of the H55 boxes than anyone. I think this is my 7th. Five were for others though. The kit is more complete now than ever so, no real problems except that I realized that my H55f main shaft wasn't true so I used another transmission I had instead. I only put this one together about 6 weeks ago and haven't crawled under to look for leaks yet. Probably have about 3000km on it now.

dirtgypsy

Observer
lowenbrau said:
Did I never post in this thread?

87 BJ74 JDM model
13BT H55f 4.7:1 Marlin Toybox
60 series axles, 4:11s ARB front, cable rear, SKY wide track kit
17x7.5 FJC wheels. 37 13.5 17 Toyo MTs
Home brew bumpers/ tire, fuel can, generator carrier
Technitop RTT, ARB fridge, Weaco freezer
Home brew drawer system
PTO driven hydraulic Superwinch c/w 225' amsteel blue
HAM CB GPS Sat radio, cheap computor speakers

random_201.sized.jpg

randomroof2.sized.jpg

IMG_2541.JPG

sick Rig! how does the 13bt like pushing around those 37's with the 4.11's?

Clint

lowenbrau

Explorer
dirtgypsy said:
sick Rig! how does the 13bt like pushing around those 37's with the 4.11's?

Clint

Thanks!

I've tweaked the 13BT a bit and it would probably prefer 4:88s but cruising at 120KPH isn't a problem. I end up driving by the pyro in the mountains and often slow to 90 or so. Its a small price to pay for 20 or better MPG.

I have another engine that I'm going to stroke with factory Toyota parts for a 200cc increase. That should help my torque numbers by 50-100ft/lbs.

Yes, lowenbrau, that is a sweet looking middy, the SOA and 37's look tough!

I wanted a shorty before I ended up going with the troopy. Was going to go for a turbo diesel Bundera, for the 4 wheel coils, and swap the 4cyl engine out for an imported Toyota V8.

How's it go off road on the snow, do you air down, use chains, etc.?

What is the SKY wide track kit?

Are the 60 series axles just stronger replacements inside the standard diff, or a whole diff swap with a 60 series?

lowenbrau

Explorer
SimonInAusstralia said:
Yes, lowenbrau, that is a sweet looking middy, the SOA and 37's look tough!

I wanted a shorty before I ended up going with the troopy. Was going to go for a turbo diesel Bundera, for the 4 wheel coils, and swap the 4cyl engine out for an imported Toyota V8.

How's it go off road on the snow, do you air down, use chains, etc.?

What is the SKY wide track kit?

Are the 60 series axles just stronger replacements inside the standard diff, or a whole diff swap with a 60 series?

Troopy really is the holy grail. I'm entertaining a fantasy about building a pop top 6x6 troopy with the 4.5l V8 diesel.

It's pretty good in the snow, a bit top heavy for the snowy climbs but acceptable considering what it is (not a buggy). Air down, yup. I haven't bothered getting a set of chains together for it. My last set has been rusting in a bucket for years. Just haven't needed them.

The SKY kit uses Toyota IFS wheel hubs to widen the front track width by about 3 inches. I'm using spacers in the back to match. That with the 60 series housings ( 3" wider) gives me the track width I need to run the heavily backspaced FJC wheels and reduce the strain on the knuckle and wheel bearings as well as improve handling over high offset wheels. It also allows me to bolt on a set of 10" wide 2.5" BS wheels for competition and end up about a foot wider.

60 and 70 axles of the same year are identical except for the length of the long side.

shermantank55

Our two cruisers

We're new to this forum. Thought we'd start out with introductions of our two land cruisers. 1970 FJ 40 "Cadet" and 1972 FJ 55 Sherman. Cadet is pretty much stock except for the color and soft top. She is for my daughter. Sherman has had the following modifications:
Added Corbeau front bucket seats
Built custom center console
Rebuilt the head
Rebuilt the springs (added a leaf into the packs)
Added MAF disc brakes in front
Added Classic Cruisers power steering
Added Classic Auto Air heater & A/C unit
Rebuilt a donor 1978 4 speed transmission w/ t case
Added a Be Cool radiator
Added an SPAL fan with electronic control
Built a new dash with VDO gauges and new stereo
Rebuilt front hubs
Added custom rear driveshaft (4sp with 2f was 1 1/2" too long for stock driveshaft)
Added Grant steering wheel
Added eDead rubber/foil insulation and automotive carpet insulation
Built a bar to hold rear seat harnesses
Added Mile Marker winch
Added BFG A/T 33x9.50 tires

Attachments

• finished front.jpg
    finished front.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 965
  • final cadet soft top.jpg
    final cadet soft top.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 132