Let's see your roof-rack organization pics

Simp801

I use a canvas bag.

QODbS.jpg

stioc

Expedition Leader
Nice setups guys, thanks for sharing.

I actually just returned from my first trip (trip report in the Adventures section) with the canvas bag and it performed flawlessly. In this pic I have:

1. 5gal Scepter water can ratchet strapped sideways
2. An EZ up strapped to one side
3. The Keeper canvas bag with: 2 folding chairs, 2 sleeping bags, 2 sleeping pads, air mattress, tent, a carry-on style duffle bag of clothes and room to spare
4. A small plastic folding table under the canvas bag- I'll probably replace it with a roll-top one.

IMG_1511Small.jpg

stioc

Expedition Leader
I also use a cargo box, however mines the thule. I dont have to worry about things being sealed properly, the elements, strapping things down & it is amazing just how much I can store in it

I want a roof rack, but have yet to convince myself to do such other than the advantage of being able to place lights up there

I think the roof cargo boxes are the easiest and most effective option for storing camping gear, no question about it. Cost is the approx the same as a good roof-rack too and can be sourced used fairly easily. For me though I wanted a slightly more rugged look and option for easily mounting heavy and bulky things like shovels, axe, hi-lift, 5gal cans, ice-chest etc. I also find it handy for carrying larger bulky items from home depot since I have a pet barrier in the back and folding down the seats is not always an option. It's like a pickup bed...an inconvenient one but one nonetheless.

ColoDisco

Explorer
We have 3 of these:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...d=-1&keyword=Plano&storeId=10051#.UHecXZG9KSM

Had them strapped to our roof rack with ratchet straps from harbor freight. Total cost $100.00

DSC00613.jpg

This is prior to me installing anchors inside my Disco cargo area due to the RTT. Worked really well. We had a tarp over the setup as a extra layer with a cargo net which fits the entire roof rack, both from harbor freight.

What I have moved towards instead is using the same tubs but buying backpacker gear ie lightweight and small to keep the weight down.

Ray_G

Explorer
I have found that I don't have any pics of my full setup, but I've got some partials.

I use a combination of a cargo 'dry bag' (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H6P55W/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i010). I'd contemplated dry bags for white water rafting or some other technique but felt it was overkill for my application. Haven't tested it in a downpour yet but so far so good. Front of the SD rack has some perm mounted boxes (recovery gear) where I put pelican cases. In between I'll put stuff like camp chairs-when I do that (vice stuffing them in the keeper bag) I use a raingler full cargo net to keep everything secure-their Large Containment Net (http://www.raingler.com/merch88universal.htm)
IMGP2268.jpgIMGP2267.jpg

stioc

Expedition Leader
That Keeper roof top bag is what I have and while I've only used it once I can see why they have such good reviews on Amazon. The only issue I've had is a small tear sarting from the bag sitting on the roof-rack mounting bolts. I'd have to put cardboard or thin plywood at the bottom next time.

I have found that I don't have any pics of my full setup, but I've got some partials.

I use a combination of a cargo 'dry bag' (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H6P55W/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i010). I'd contemplated dry bags for white water rafting or some other technique but felt it was overkill for my application. Haven't tested it in a downpour yet but so far so good. Front of the SD rack has some perm mounted boxes (recovery gear) where I put pelican cases. In between I'll put stuff like camp chairs-when I do that (vice stuffing them in the keeper bag) I use a raingler full cargo net to keep everything secure-their Large Containment Net (http://www.raingler.com/merch88universal.htm)
View attachment 127307View attachment 127308

Nevermind the bags, where'd you get the plastic grate??

El Solis

Adventurer
That's from farm tek it's chicken coop flooring usually costs about $25 a sheet. I have some for my roof. Use heavy duty zip ties to hold it down and lots of them but you can walk on it.

sixbennetts

Adventurer
I love these cheap alternatives. Great find on the chicken coop flooring. You could prolly clamp it to your roof rack with some small U-bolts, no? Or even J-hooks and wing nuts. Then it could be a shower floor, too.

Ray_G

Explorer
Sorry for the belated circle back, but yep-the grating is the Farmtek chicken coop flooring option. I love it, have had it for years. Farmtek's also a great company, easy to work with. You will pay for the shipping on each piece I think-but it's a purchase you really only have to do once.

You can use various options for securing it, I was using conduit clamps + SS hardware and fender washers for awhile on my last rack (on my last truck...that's how long the stuff lasts, its lasted through a high and a low SD rack now and 2 different D1's). I went back to zip ties b/c that's just as easy in my opinion, every so often just change them out for fresh ones.
r-
Ray

ColoDisco

Explorer
Brilliant idea! I have to balance myself on my brown church rack while removing my RTT cover. Plan on getting a baja RTT rack but these will do in the meantime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman