Lets talk about gas storage

peneumbra

Explorer
My Front Runner gas cans have settled down and are working just fine now. I guess one just has to work them over with a rubber hammer for a bit and they get the message...

joelbert

Adventurer
For all of you that are considering jerry cans for fuel, the NATO type steel ones with the flip tops are the best that I have ever used. Certified to not leak after a 10m drop (that's 33ft) is good enough for me. Easy to use, no wrenches required like with some of the mil spec ones to open after they've been tightened enough to not leak. Only catch? They're legal for sale in the whole world except USA and Canada.

Can you provide a link or a model number somewhere to these "NATO type steel ones with the flip tops"?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Just got these 2 three gallon Rotopax cans , they look good , can't wait to get them on the trail ...

I think you're going to like them. That's exactly what I carry for spare gas. You can spend the money to get the Rotopax spin-on mounts for quick mounting and dismounting but honestly I just use cut down ratchet straps and then I make a "pad" out of corrugated cardboard to sit under the ratchet strap buckle (so the buckle doesn't rub directly against the plastic.) Ratchet that sucker down tight and it won't move a millimeter.
EDIT: One tip, though: Those "CARB Compliant" spouts suck a big one. I have found, though, that my non-CARB compliant spout from my cheap old "blitz" can works just fine. I carry it in a zip loc bag (so it doesn't stink up the interior of my 4runner) and use it when I need to fill the tank. A siphon would be another option, though it might take longer to fill.

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
For the OP, buy or make a jerry can holder that attached to the hitch and/or spare tire. What are you tools/fab skills? Sounds like a good project to try before building a trailer.

While the rotopax cans are smaller and more expensive, they make a mount that allows to stack three cans through the middle of the spare. Maybe not ideal, but better than nothing and easy to mount/dismount.

Can you provide a link or a model number somewhere to these "NATO type steel ones with the flip tops"?

Links for NATO style cans from page 1

I did this offer and have been happy so far

Top Spec U.S. Wavian Fuel Cans

Last edited:

Catfish37

Observer
Has anyone ever considered using a plastic boat tank? I have a roof rack to store it. I was thinking I could put it up there and use the fuel hose with the bulb in it it to fill the fuel tank on the jeep.

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
For the OP, buy or make a jerry can holder that attached to the hitch and/or spare tire. What are you tools/fab skills? Sounds like a good project to try before building a trailer.

While the rotopax cans are smaller and more expensive, they make a mount that allows to stack three cans through the middle of the spare. Maybe not ideal, but better than nothing and easy to mount/dismount.

Links for NATO style cans from page 1

Fab skills are not a problem, but the weight is. I cannot put that much weight on my tailgate. The JK locks break constantly when they have a lot of weight on them. 10 gallons of gas alone is over 60 pounds, plus containers, then something like a saddle mount over the spare tire made of steel. Probably close to 100 pounds at that point. On rough dirt roads I see myself breaking a lot of latches. I thought about doing a hitch mounted holder since it is rated for 500 pounds but I loose a recovery point if I do that, but more importantly I cant open the back gate unless I make it swing or I unload it every time

zelatore

Explorer
Has anyone ever considered using a plastic boat tank? I have a roof rack to store it. I was thinking I could put it up there and use the fuel hose with the bulb in it it to fill the fuel tank on the jeep.

Yes. One of our club members carries a 6 gallon outboard tank on his roof rack. He loves it. Cheap and simple. Probably not DOT approved, but it's USCG approved!

cavboy78

I converted my TJ tailgate to a drop-down style instead of the factory swing out. You can buy a kit from swag offroad for your JK for $269 (or source it yourself for much less). This eliminates the weak hinges and allows you to sit on the tailgate when lowered...and hang as much weight off of it as you need. I've also seen the exogate (on a tj) and you will not overload that thing with gas cans... either way is a win.

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
I converted my TJ tailgate to a drop-down style instead of the factory swing out. You can buy a kit from swag offroad for your JK for $269 (or source it yourself for much less). This eliminates the weak hinges and allows you to sit on the tailgate when lowered...and hang as much weight off of it as you need. I've also seen the exogate (on a tj) and you will not overload that thing with gas cans... either way is a win.

I considered that, but I really do not like how their kit looks. Over the winter I may see if I can do it with truck hinges.

sigo

Checkout this my thread to get some tips and see some alternatives you can buy at a great price. Whatever you decide to buy, I prefer plastic over can. Read my thread to see and decide for yourself what you wish to have or own. Rotoplax is a great plastic. The sceptre brand is plastic and is sturdy. Sceptre has some cheaper alternative plastic cans. Click on my thread and see pics below.

Where are you seeing the Scepter military cans for sale in the US?!

I'm not looking for any, I have more than a few. $64 isn't bad for new. I just thought they weren't for sale new in the US.

Scepter military cans are the best around in my opinion. But they even swell and let some vapor out when they get warm. Diesel isn't an issue, but gas makes them swell up pretty good. I've never had a spill or significant leak, but even ventless cans still vent when they get warm. Still, you'll be hard pressed to find a better fuel can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman