Let's Talk About Heating our Trailers.

saburai

Explorer
I'm a Wimp!!

I've considered 12v electric pads/blankets as well and realistically, it's probably what I'll wind up getting. It's just that we tend to be cold sleepers and there is nothing like a blast of heated air to make you feel comfy :)

kb7our

Explorer
Wow, 9 amps for the queen size? Battery won't last long with that.

Not bad really for a queen size with dual sides/controls at max. I have the full size and it's terrific! Figure ~50% duty cycle so 9A becomes more like 4-5 if that or less since once you warm up the bedding you probably will turn it down a bit. I'm sold on mine but having said that what is missing is the ability to warm the air for total comfort. Get up and fire up the Mr Heater or similar while awake.

Wade

RoyP

Observer
Here is a rough sketch of the concept I'm thinking about. see sketch attached. It's a mechanical pod, made from an aluminum diamond plate box, 24w x 18h x 18d. The pod is mounted on a swing-away cargo carrier. The pod is well vented. Now here is the iffy part... the pod contains a propane cylinder, a Heatsource HS2000, and a battery w/attendant gizmos, to draw charge from a second alternator to be installed in the car. Ducts and vents would penetrate the pod in appropriate locations, as would wire runs or outlets mounted to the exterior, etc. I can solve the physical problems, I just don't know if putting those elements in one metal box is even remotely a good idea. Comments will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Pod concept 01.jpg
    Pod concept 01.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 619

OlympiaFJ60

Adventurer
I think if you isolated the heatsource from the the battery and propane and had each compartment vented you should be ok. Best maybe to use an AGM sealed battery and triple check the gas lines for leaks.

smokymt

Observer
Mr. Heater Portable Buddy

Just picked up on these at TSC. I am considering using this short term to heat up my RTT (a few minutes at bedtime and a few minutes in the morning) but I am concerned about sitting it on a table or anything else unstable. So I'm considering hanging it from the tent frame inside. I think it weighs roughly 10 lbs with propane cylinder. I have an Eezi-Awn 1800. Do you think the frame can support this weight?

2150699.jpg

XJBANKER

Explorer
Just picked up on these at TSC. I am considering using this short term to heat up my RTT (a few minutes at bedtime and a few minutes in the morning) but I am concerned about sitting it on a table or anything else unstable. So I'm considering hanging it from the tent frame inside. I think it weighs roughly 10 lbs with propane cylinder. I have an Eezi-Awn 1800. Do you think the frame can support this weight?

2150699.jpg

I have considered hanging mine as well but worried it will not heat the standing area on mine due to hot air rising.

smokymt

Observer
I have considered hanging mine as well but worried it will not heat the standing area on mine due to hot air rising.

I guess that is possible, but these things really put out a lot of heat. They are rated to heat 200 square feet.

Rando

Explorer
The problem with the catalytic heaters is not so much CO or CO2 (which diffuses out the of tent pretty quickly) but all the water. I find running even a small catalytic heater (Coleman Black Cat) for half an hour or so leads to a LOT of condensation. Depending on how cold it is and how breathable your tent is, you may be fine, but in my Wildernest these aren't so good.

2150699.jpg

Bogo

Adventurer
Thats the one that Martyn used in the AT trailer I was refering to. Its a Great system, nad iwould buy it in a heart beat, But I was quoted $1,400.00. :yikes: almost fell out of my chair.

I copied this down back in March 2009. Airtronic D2 with install kit, Interstate power systems, Davenport IA, 563-388-9988 ask for Nick. The price was under $1000. That is a diesel unit. In one of the ebay ads I saw from them they mention they could get petrol fired but it would cost more.

The nice thing about them is you can route all the tubes out the bottom of a diving bell like structure and then be able to ford deep rivers without killing the electronics in it.

For cooking above 10k feet, get a MSR Whisper backpacking stove. Get the multi fuel version if you want to run kerosene or diesel in it. They will work nicely at very high elevations.

Bogo

Adventurer
Does anyone know of any reasonable options for gasoline fueled heaters?

I saw a writeup a while back where someone had installed a Webasto into a diesel Land Cruiser for a winter trip across Canada, and it apparently worked quite well.

I'm wondering if there's a similar gasoline version available so that the interior of my Land Cruiser could be heated while the engine is not running.

Espar has gas/petrol versions of some of their smaller Airtronic and Hydronic heaters.

Romer

Adventurer
Has anyone isntalled the AT set-up yet? I would be interested in seeing pictures of how it was mounted and hooked up

rfohey

Zodi Hot vent

If anyone wants to know. I contacted Zodi and they are guesstimating mid-Decmeber 2009 that the hot vent will return.

Response below:

We apologize for the inconvenience. The tent heaters are still not available we are hoping to have them out in mid Dec(2009). At this time we have not had any updates please check back with Zodi in December. We should have more information then if you have any questions please respond to this email.

Thank you,
Customer Service
Zodi Outback Gear

805gregg

Adventurer
Why does everything need to be so exotic, I have a Lance camper with an Atwood mobile products Everest Star 7900 II heater. Works perfect is small and I noticed on line the heater was used in the American Medical Association expedition to Everest and the record setting Double Eagle balloon crossing of the Pacific Ocean. You can buy them for about $400 if you search the net.

Antelope

Just a quick note from a satisfied customer on the propex. I've had mine in my westy for 5 years and its been awesome. My van sees lots of washboard roads and I've never had any problems with the heater. My only thing would be that you might need the bigger one to heat a RTT with a changing room as the 2000 struggled to keep up in the van at temps around 20f. Then again your not trying to heat a cold steel box. Very efficient heater for sure, sips the propane, barely uses any battery and is safe. Once I get a trailer that will be first on the list. It was my wife's favorite upgrade by far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger