Let's talk about spark plugs....3.5L Montero

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
Wish it was that easy to change mine. I have a 3.0 LS. I had to remove the upper plenum and clean the contact area before putting it back on with a new gasket. Still did the plugs and wires with gasket in about 1.75 hours.

I've also owned a 3.0 SOHC and 3.5 SOHC that involved taking off the plenum, but if you use a reusable gasket, its not a big deal.

scrubber3

Not really here
I installed a reusable one when I did the work. Thank god. I still like to clean things up a bit when I get in there though. I am OCD about that stuff.

95 SR, 3.5 liter quad cam checking in, no problems changing plugs, drivers side; remove one bracket and the cover, remove coils and change plugs. passenger side; remove 3 brackets, intake tube and throttle body, remove cover and slide down under egr tube, change plugs. DONE

took less than an hour.

Sure, all fine and dandy, unless you are changing the wires... which takes the longest time because the wires are secured behind the intake plenum. As a "fix" I cheated and ran the plug wires over the intake plenum upon re-installation.

Mudrunner

Adventurer
The Service schedule for the 3.5L on my Sport lists the plenum gasket as a 60k service which is also the same mileage for the spark plugs... interesting...

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Maybe because the plenum has to come off when you do the plugs? At least it does on mine... Until you learn to leave off the plug covers...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears