So you want to Fuel Inject your Carbureted Gen1 Montero (Or really any carbureted car)

ChrisCosta416

Note: Please check your state laws for any emissions restrictions prior to trying to convert your vehicle to fuel injection. All information is this write-up was based on my own experience helping an owner fuel inject their truck.

CURRENTLY A ROUGH DRAFT - SHOULD BE FINISHED WITHIN THE WEEK -

Overview
In this writeup, I will be going over the benefits of fuel injection vs carbureted systems, parts required and used to convert a Gen1 Mitsubishi Montero 4cyl to an EFI unit (Holley Sniper 2300 EFI unit), and last but not least my attempt to do an easy to read writeup on how to convert your Gen1 to Fuel Injection with ease!

Terms
  • EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection

Why should I ditch the Mikuni carb and go with Fuel Injection?

• Better fuel economy with an EFI unit
  • No more cold start issues with an EFI unit
  • Most EFI units can self tune and give you a huge amount of control over tuning your truck
  • Better for the environment. Reduce emissions by installing an EFI unit
  • EFI units are not very sensitive to altitude and temperature changes compared to a carburetor

Price, time, skill and parts

Price - Expect to pay around $2,000 or less in parts alone, I assume labor would be 6-8 hours of time given most mechanics are not familiar with EFI units

Time - IF you have all required parts and have all the tools at hand, I do not see this taking longer than a day. Myself and friends were able to install the Holley Sniper EFI 2300 in under 5 hours. Please do not take this time as a quote that a shop would give.

Skill - This is very subjective, but with a little help I was able to install this kit, the instructions are very helpful and personally the hardest part of this install for me was figuring out the throttle valve and throttle cable install. The Holley Sniper EFI 2300 Master kit has almost everything you need to install.

Parts - Now onto the fun stuff, the items to buy! Below is a list of items we bought to complete the install, it does not include any specialized tools we used.
I am sure there are different brands and other misc parts that could be used, but this is solely to help guide you in the right direction.

• HOLLEY SNIPER EFI 2300 SELF-TUNING MASTER KIT - Part # 550-849K or Part # 550-850K or Part # 550-851K (Be sure it is the master kit, they come in three finishes - GOLD/BLACK/SILVER) - $1,100 - 1,300
  • Spectre Universal Throttle Cable - Part #2431 - Can be purchased at your local auto parts store (Yes, even autozone) - $39.99

• Spectre Throttle Cable Bracket - Part #24283 - Can be purchased at your local auto parts store (Yes, even autozone) - $15.99

• Station Fuel Block off Plate or make your own
  • Station EGR Fuel Block off Plate or make your own
  • Carb adapter plate - to adapt from the 2.6L intake to the Holley Sniper EFI 2300. Please read - There are other people who have installed this kit and some have used this Mr. Gasket carb adapter plate - Part # 1937MRG - This CAN be used but I have found that it is time consuming to drill out the holes properly, it almost lines up but the barrels are to small and in the end if you are going the EFI route, you might as well do it proper and right the first time - a way to go about that is by making a custom bracket, I will post the measurements below. to make your own.
  • Replace all your old fuel hoses, with new fuel injection hose, I used Gates Green Stripe hose which can be found at your local auto parts store
  • Various AN fittings - The included AN fittings will not work with the factory return lines
  • 8-9 inch Carb Air cleaner
Not required but recommend

• OEM/NGK spark plugs - The Holley kit is very sensitive to spark plugs and requires a good high quality set of spark plugs
  • Misc vacuum hoses - You will have to reuse about 2-3 vacuum hoses that will go into the EFI unit, best to replace those old dry cracked lines
  • Misc AN fittings - You might need some extra AN fittings depending on how you install the kit, the AN size is AN-6
  • Misc wires - You might need to extend the length of the wires.

Next few pages will cover how my friend installed it and photos!

Last edited:

Jwink25

Note: Please check your state laws for any emissions restrictions prior to trying to convert your vehicle to fuel injection. All information is this write-up was based on my own experience helping an owner fuel inject their truck.

CURRENTLY A ROUGH DRAFT - SHOULD BE FINISHED WITHIN THE WEEK -

Overview
In this writeup, I will be going over the benefits of fuel injection vs carbureted systems, parts required and used to convert a Gen1 Mitsubishi Montero 4cyl to an EFI unit (Holley Sniper 2300 EFI unit), and last but not least my attempt to do an easy to read writeup on how to convert your Gen1 to Fuel Injection with ease!

Terms
  • EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection

Why should I ditch the Mikuni carb and go with Fuel Injection?

• Better fuel economy with an EFI unit
  • No more cold start issues with an EFI unit
  • Most EFI units can self tune and give you a huge amount of control over tuning your truck
  • Better for the environment. Reduce emissions by installing an EFI unit
  • EFI units are not very sensitive to altitude and temperature changes compared to a carburetor

Price, time, skill and parts

Price - Expect to pay around $2,000 or less in parts alone, I assume labor would be 6-8 hours of time given most mechanics are not familiar with EFI units

Time - IF you have all required parts and have all the tools at hand, I do not see this taking longer than a day. Myself and friends were able to install the Holley Sniper EFI 2300 in under 5 hours. Please do not take this time as a quote that a shop would give.

Skill - This is very subjective, but with a little help I was able to install this kit, the instructions are very helpful and personally the hardest part of this install for me was figuring out the throttle valve and throttle cable install. The Holley Sniper EFI 2300 Master kit has almost everything you need to install.

Parts - Now onto the fun stuff, the items to buy! Below is a list of items we bought to complete the install, it does not include any specialized tools we used.
I am sure there are different brands and other misc parts that could be used, but this is solely to help guide you in the right direction.

• HOLLEY SNIPER EFI 2300 SELF-TUNING MASTER KIT - Part # 550-849K or Part # 550-850K or Part # 550-851K (Be sure it is the master kit, they come in three finishes - GOLD/BLACK/SILVER) - $1,100 - 1,300
  • Spectre Universal Throttle Cable - Part #2431 - Can be purchased at your local auto parts store (Yes, even autozone) - $39.99

• Spectre Throttle Cable Bracket - Part #24283 - Can be purchased at your local auto parts store (Yes, even autozone) - $15.99

• Station Fuel Block off Plate or make your own
  • Station EGR Fuel Block off Plate or make your own
  • Carb adapter plate - to adapt from the 2.6L intake to the Holley Sniper EFI 2300. Please read - There are other people who have installed this kit and some have used this Mr. Gasket carb adapter plate - Part # 1937MRG - This CAN be used but I have found that it is time consuming to drill out the holes properly, it almost lines up but the barrels are to small and in the end if you are going the EFI route, you might as well do it proper and right the first time - a way to go about that is by making a custom bracket, I will post the measurements below. to make your own.
Not required but recommend

• OEM/NGK spark plugs - The Holley kit is very sensitive to spark plugs and requires a good high quality set of spark plugs
  • Misc vacuum hoses - You will have to reuse about 2-3 vacuum hoses that will go into the EFI unit, best to replace those old dry cracked lines
  • Misc AN fittings - You might need some extra AN fittings depending on how you install the kit, the AN size is AN-6
  • Misc wires - You might need to extend the length of the wires.

Next few pages will cover how my friend installed it and photos!
Really wanting to do this for my rig. Can't wait to see the rest of your write up!

nonkjo

I was looking at the Holley Sniper EFI kits for a while but I was looking at the 2GC large bore EFI and getting a adapter fabbed up for the D56. In the end I decided to get a G64 because I needed to pull the original engine anyway due to stripped teeth on the starter ring. Why go to all that work just to put the old engine back in (an all its associated shortcomings). I am interested in seeing how this turns out for you though.

engiekev

Bump, really looking to understand how you got this to work! Can the Holly EFI control the distributor spark, or is that left OEM? That would be a big negative in my view if you can't control spark advance. I'm considering this for our Gen1 2.6L to use with a blow-through turbo, as opposed to swapping all the inferior TBI setup from a Starion.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Bump, really looking to understand how you got this to work! Can the Holly EFI control the distributor spark, or is that left OEM? That would be a big negative in my view if you can't control spark advance. I'm considering this for our Gen1 2.6L to use with a blow-through turbo, as opposed to swapping all the inferior TBI setup from a Starion.

Jamie can confirm but I believe you need an additional module and possibly some MSD part or a Starion igniter box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior